Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most ethnic diverse region
West 29 44.62%
South 15 23.08%
Northeast 19 29.23%
Midwest 2 3.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 04:19 PM

46 posts, read 68,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
They certainly each have influence on an area, as a group, on a macro level. On a micro level, there is much greater influence from each individual group.
I don't see how that would be possible. I could see Chinese Americans influencing an area or Japanese Americans, but not an Asian American "group" per se. I don't see how very many Filipino-Americans identify with the Asian-American cause considering that they are mostly Catholic, have mostly Spanish last names and have cultural traits closer to the Pacific Islands than Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermont66 View Post
Diversity should be concentrated. Immigrants are welcome to US from any country but we need to push for more immigrants from certain countries more. Most valuable countries for immigration are China, Japan, Germany, UK, France, Brazil, Russia, Italy, India, Canada, Australia, Spain, Mexico, Israel, South Korea, Indonesia, Turkey, Austria, Phillippines, Netherlands, Thailand, Argentina, etc. The US has history and business relations with these most powerful countries. Caribbean island countries don't add business or entrepreneurship relations IMO. Lightweights

50% of Chinese HNWI's in China want to move overseas. The US would miss out by not trying to attract them and their cash flow IMO.
What exactly does this have to do with this thread? Diversity in the US is pretty well spread, for better and for worse. What makes the Northeast and parts of the South (mostly Florida) so exceptional in the diversity realm is that they receive immigrants from countries that come to the West (Mexico, Central America, Asia) and receive immigrants in large numbers from other areas of the world that aren't represented in the West (Caribbean, Africa, etc.)

Old 02-11-2014, 04:37 PM

32 posts, read 46,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Piano Ball View Post
What exactly does this have to do with this thread? Diversity in the US is pretty well spread, for better and for worse. What makes the Northeast and parts of the South (mostly Florida) so exceptional in the diversity realm is that they receive immigrants from countries that come to the West (Mexico, Central America, Asia) and receive immigrants in large numbers from other areas of the world that aren't represented in the West (Caribbean, Africa, etc.)
Caribbean island people, they deserve to be here as much as any one else but if I wanted to work for diversity it would be for economical gain. SF is the most opportune city in the world for immigrants and they successfully connect business relations of US with rest of the world. Creating global workforce. It's more valuable IMO.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I enjoy the culture in the US by the Carribbean island people. They deserve to be here as much as any one else but if I wanted to work for diversity it would be for economical gain.
I thought the saying was: ""Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free"

So you'd generally agree that the US has too many Mexican people then? Many are poorer than the "Caribbean island people" you are talking about and some may be a drag on the social services of the US.

Quote:
SF is the most opportune city in the world for immigrants and they successfully connect business relations of US with rest of the world. Creating global workforce. It's more valuable IMO.
I don't even think its the most opportune city in its own state. Or even in a 50 mile radius (San Jose beats it out). Los Angeles and New York are true global cities that attract both the best and brightest and the downtrodden from everywhere, while San Francisco seems to get mostly the rich.

Houston, DC, Chicago and Dallas IMO will be more diverse in the future because it can appeal to a wider group of people.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I thought the saying was: ""Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free"

So you'd generally agree that the US has too many Mexican people then? Many are poorer than the "Caribbean island people" you are talking about and some may be a drag on the social services of the US.
The US has perfect number of Mexican people. We could use more, Mexico's surging and lots of money and business could be made.

What Carribbean businesses have those island people brought? What Carribbean investors, producers, entrepneurs? Worlds richest man Carlos Slim is Mexican and an avid investor in NYC's local economy. Owns a grand penthouse to. Carribbeans come to the US to work in American agencies, government offices, etc.
Quote:
I don't even think its the most opportune city in its own state. Or even in a 50 mile radius (San Jose beats it out). Los Angeles and New York are true global cities that attract both the best and brightest and the downtrodden from everywhere, while San Francisco seems to get mostly the rich.

Houston, DC, Chicago and Dallas IMO will be more diverse in the future because it can appeal to a wider group of people.
So you agree that the immigrants in SF have created the richest foreign population in the world? Why should we blame them for economically helping themselves and their new home country? DC, NYC, Houston, etc are a tier down IMO.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
The US has perfect number of Mexican people. We could use more, Mexico's surging and lots of money and business could be made.

What Carribbean businesses have those island people brought? What Carribbean investors, producers, entrepneurs? Worlds richest man Carlos Slim is Mexican and an avid investor in NYC's local economy. Owns a grand penthouse to. Carribbeans come to the US to work in American agencies, government offices, etc.

So you agree that the immigrants in SF have created the richest foreign population in the world? Why should we blame them for economically helping themselves and their new home country? DC, NYC, Houston, etc are a tier down IMO.
But what does that have to do with how diverse each region is?

Old 02-11-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
But what does that have to do with how diverse each region is?
Nothing but the west wins. The other 3 regions don't have a city like SF IMO.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Nothing but the west wins. The other 3 regions don't have a city like SF IMO.
Queens, NY is a lot like SF if you're looking for Asians. MIA is like SF in that one group dominates the demographics there.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:15 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,303,813 times
The West of course, followed by the South. The midwest, and in particularly outside of big cities is the least diverse part of the country.

Now if we are looking at strictly rural areas areas I think the South wins.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Queens, NY is a lot like SF if you're looking for Asians. MIA is like SF in that one group dominates the demographics there.
Queens is a county but was surpassed by Houston's FBC recently. Won't be a shock if SF's Alameda surpassed Queens. You would have a point if the NYC metro was as diverse as Queens IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City