Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern State
Texas 118 53.39%
Florida 103 46.61%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 07:12 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,892,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Actually, most people from OH and IN living in FL are from northern 1/3rd's of those states. I don't know about you, but I would classify Cleveland and Gary as "Upper Midwestern."

OTOH, Cincinnati, Indy, St. Louis, and KC are "Lower Midwestern."
I live in Florida, and Majority of the folks that I know from Ohio & Indiana are from the southern portions of those states. Cincinnati, Columbus, and Indianapolis. The only thing "southern" that Texas has over Florida is A well know accent that I've yet to actually hear in Texas. By history Florida is a heck of a lot more southern. Outside of the immediate suburbs of most cities here the state is mostly small southern towns.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:20 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,892,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Piano Ball View Post
I got the impression most Black people in Miami are either of Haitian or Jamaican origin. Are there still plenty of African Americans there?
They are, but Most of them are 2nd and 3rd generation Haitians and Jamaicans who don't even speak creole or patios. They have spent there whole life around Black Americans and they've taken on black culture. I bet you couldn't even tell the difference. Some even speak like they are straight out of Georgia, and many have mixed.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:40 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,370 times
I'd say Texas because Texas is still a very conservative states, even their cities are really conservative which is very unusual.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:11 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
I never said it was, nor did I imply it was.

The different cities of Bayou Country represent the different aspects; New Orleans represents the traditional, authentic aspect of the bayou, where you can experience up close the cultures that live by the Bayou (Cajuns/Creoles, etc). Life in Houston also involves the bayou, but more or less, Houston puts a futuristic spin on it, with its "Space City" theme, and "Jetsons-esque" aesthetic (which can be seen in the design of its skyscrapers, architecture, and its public transportation vehicles.) hence why it is the Cyber Bayou.
That still makes no sense. The fact that you mention Cajuns in New Orleans proves you don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
Yes, several people can disagree, and that is okay; I, along with a sizable amount of people on this thread agree that Houston has several aspects that align it with the "Western South" of Austin and Dallas (such as being part of the Texas Triangle) rather than the Deep South.
And yet you still have yet to explain why. Why are Orlando and Tampa more southern than Houston?

You may think that people disagree with you just to be bullies, but the simple fact is that your arguments don't make much sense; atleast, not to those of us who know these cities well.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:48 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I live in Florida, and Majority of the folks that I know from Ohio & Indiana are from the southern portions of those states. Cincinnati, Columbus, and Indianapolis. The only thing "southern" that Texas has over Florida is A well know accent that I've yet to actually hear in Texas. By history Florida is a heck of a lot more southern. Outside of the immediate suburbs of most cities here the state is mostly small southern towns.
By history, Florida isn't much more Southern than Texas. They both reached statehood around the same year, they both seceded from the Union, and they both escaped the scars of the Civil War due to both states not being staging any significant battles in the Civil War. Both states became areas that other Southerners escaping the war-torn South, fled to. Most cities in South Florida were founded 20+ years after the Civil War. Half of Florida was uninhabited by Whites-Americans during the Civil War. The Panhandle and Peninsular Florida, are really like 2 different states, even from a historic standpoint. As far as small Southern towns go, hundreds of small Southern towns dot East-Texas.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
That still makes no sense. The fact that you mention Cajuns in New Orleans proves you don't know what you're talking about.

And yet you still have yet to explain why. Why are Orlando and Tampa more southern than Houston?

You may think that people disagree with you just to be bullies, but the simple fact is that your arguments don't make much sense; atleast, not to those of us who know these cities well.
Houston is one of the few major Texas cities, that is unarguably Southern. Every stereotypical characteristic of the The South, and what people think of when they think of The South can be found in Houston. Accents, weather, foliage, culture. I'm not saying Tampa or Orlando are LESS Southern than Houston, but if anything, all 3 cities seem about even in terms of "Southerness".

Old 03-16-2014, 01:03 PM

I don't get where people see Florida as "Historically more Southern" than Texas. Everything significant that happened in both states to lead them to where thy are today, happened around the same year. Florida(like Texas) was a Spanish Colony for a while. It's still reflected in Florida's architecture. While Florida may not have the distinct Southwestern characteristics that Texas has, most of Florida's history was shaped by Southerners, AS WELL AS Spaniards, Native-Americans, and Snowbirds. Even a city like Tampa has a long storied history as an entrance point for Cubans, and as an exit point into the Caribbean. Ybor City and other Cuban enclaves like West Tampa, predate enclaves like Little Havana. In many ways, the Hispanic culture that permeates the state of Florida, is hardly something that happened in the last 20yrs, and can be traced back throughout the states history. If Hispanic culture, or non-Northern European culture dilutes "Authentic Southern Culture" than I don't see how Florida is "More Southern". Ahh, what the heck, there is no Trans-Pecos Region in Florida. Florida it is.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:14 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I'd say Texas because Texas is still a very conservative states, even their cities are really conservative which is very unusual.
The suburbs of these cities are conservative. Not the actual cities themselves.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:16 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
The poll is where it should be. Not a runaway for either state on which is more Southern.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:49 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The suburbs of these cities are conservative. Not the actual cities themselves.
I just caught that. It never ceases to amaze me how people on here love to make matter-of-fact statements about places they clearly have little to no experience with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City