Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern State
Texas 118 53.39%
Florida 103 46.61%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 06:05 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,047,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There's a big difference between a map I draw up and post on the internet and a map produced by the world's leading linguistics department. It's like the difference between citing a blog and citing a publication in an academic journal.

UPenn has the most reliable research of all because that's what they do. They collect millions and millions of voice samples and track how dialects and accents change over time. That's how we've been able to witness the southern dialect boundary shift down from DC and NOVA to around Fredericksburg since the 1980s. We've also witnessed the shift of the boundary up from Orlando since the 1980s. Today, that line only covers Northern Florida.

Better thread different reply What is More Southern State: Texas country and town vs Florida country and town.

Than what is More Southern State: Texas cities vs Florida cities.

different reply to the thread different answers

Old 03-26-2014, 06:05 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
There's a big difference between a map I draw up and post on the internet and a map produced by the world's leading linguistics department. It's like the difference between citing a blog and citing a publication in an academic journal.

UPenn has the most reliable research of all because that's what they do. They collect millions and millions of voice samples and track how dialects and accents change over time. That's how we've been able to witness the southern dialect boundary shift down from DC and NOVA to around Fredericksburg since the 1980s. We've also witnessed the shift of the boundary up from Orlando since the 1980s. Today, that line only covers Northern Florida.
You did see that I posted a Upenn map myself, right? You also did notice that I posted a survey from Harvard University Linguistics Department, right? Or did you even bother to open up that link at all?

Old 03-26-2014, 06:07 PM

39 posts, read 46,702 times
You act like it's insignifigant but 40% of the population of Texas is hispanic, that isn't even close to other southen states. It is a huge factor.

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You can't be serious. These are not comparable.

You're comparing two states that have a Hispanic population of less than 1 million each to a state that has around 10 million and growing then those two combined? Guess what, Hispanics is recent in every state including Florida and Texas Hispanic population doubles Florida's. You can't have your cake and eat it too. The Mexican imprint has made a huge mark in Texas the last 30 years and will become greater when they become the majority by 2020.
So when Georgia's Hispanic population reaches 25% (it's 10% now), it will no longer be a Deep South state even if it continues to hand Dems big defeats? I mean, why do you think Mexicans don't assimilate into southern culture? UPenn's research shows that they must be considering that the Southern American English zone extends as far South as San Antonio. Why are being Mexican and being southern mutually exclusive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Better thread different reply What is More Southern State: Texas country and town vs Florida country and town.

Than what is More Southern State: Texas cities vs Florida cities.
We took care of that earlier in the thread.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
So when Georgia's Hispanic population reaches 25% (it's 10% now), it will no longer be a Deep South state even if it continues to hand Dems big defeats? I mean, why do you think Mexicans don't assimilate into southern culture? UPenn's research shows that they must be considering that the Southern American English zone extends as far South as San Antonio. Why are being Mexican and being southern mutually exclusive?
The Texas Hispanic population is nearly 40%. Again, not comparable. Deal with the raw numbers. The Hispanic population in Texas is getting ready to become the largest group in the state. It will be a long time if ever for this to happen in Georgia or any other state in the South. Texas was NEVER a Deep South state in it's entirety to begin with and hardly anyone in Texas would say they live in the Deep South. They will accept Western South or just simply, Texas. Do some Mexicans assimilate to Southern culture? Yes. Do some Mexicans not assimilate to Southern culture? Again, yes and I wouldn't doubt if its more of the ladder than the former. I've seen both instances with my very own eyes. Hell, why aren't you making the same arguments for Cubans in South Florida. My uncle is married to one and her family basically acts just like us.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
You did see that I posted a Upenn map myself, right? You also did notice that I posted a survey from Harvard University Linguistics Department, right? Or did you even bother to open up that link at all?
You really don't read too well, do you?

Here's 1987. TX and FL are both within the boundary.

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/phono_atla...ap/NatMap2.GIF

Here's 2006. South Florida is no longer within the boundary.

http://laits.utexas.edu/texas_english/LAB2006map.jpg

Old 03-26-2014, 06:15 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Yes, and nearly all of NM (with the exception of a small sliver along the TX/NM border) falls within the American West dialect boundary. Nearly all of Texas falls within the Southern American English boundary. So when the majority of a state falls within the southern dialect boundary, Southern Baptists and Evangelicals make up a huge percentage of the state's population, the state expresses a collective political ideology akin to South Carolina's, and the state is a member of the Southern Legislative Conference and the Southern Governor's Association, what else could it be other than "southern?"
And yep, don't forget that its (our) schools are affiliated with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
The Texas Hispanic population is nearly 40%. Again, not comparable. Deal with the raw numbers. The Hispanic population in Texas is getting ready to become the largest group in the state. It will be a long time if ever for this to happen in Georgia or any other state in the South. Texas was NEVER a Deep South state in it's entirety to begin with and hardly anyone in Texas would say they live in the Deep South. They will accept Western South or just simply, Texas. Do some Mexicans assimilate to Southern culture? Yes. Do some Mexicans not assimilate to Southern culture? Again, yes and I wouldn't doubt if its more of the ladder than the former. I've seen both instances with my very own eyes. Hell, why aren't you making the same arguments for Cubans in South Florida. My uncle is married to one and her family basically acts just like us.
Because the Cubans in South Florida don't have much of an Evangelical Protestant culture to assimilate into. In Texas, they do.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Because the Cubans in South Florida don't have much of an Evangelical Protestant culture to assimilate into? In Texas, they do.
So using religion is your only basis for Cubans not assimilating to Southern culture? Seriously, do you have any extensive experience in these places outside of your computer screen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City