Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern State
Texas 118 53.39%
Florida 103 46.61%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 07:41 PM

39 posts, read 46,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Why do you assume the people moving to Texas are liberals?

The Polling Center: California's Conservative Migration | The Texas Tribune

"Transplant" doesn't always mean a liberal Democrat from New Jersey or Ohio.
Oh I wasn't trying to say that all transplants are liberal, I was trying to say that as more liberals come in to the state then so does more liberal money for advertising and volunteers to help get hispanics to the poll. I just mean that the democrats have a plan and it isn't just let's wait for there to be more hispanic voters and hope they vote democrat.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:59 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times
Quote:
=Well ton;34082657]You have your facts wrong. South Calif. was settled by southerners that wanted to join the confederacy but North Calif. was foremost authority and didn't let South Calif., AZ, nm split from union control. AZ is full of conservative descendants of the southerners that pilgrimaged to LA, Bakersfield, Fresno, etc.

Go spread your gospel. Only areas that never were southern were Northeast, PNW, North Calif., Hawaii, Alaska, maybe Florida.
LMAO Welllll...."Well ton?" To be blunt and honest? Your posts are laughable; unresearched, ridiculous, poorly written, and obviously cannot be taken seriously. Come back when you can join the bigger leagues!

Old 03-28-2014, 08:10 PM

39 posts, read 46,721 times
Referring to Texas as "Western South" is just affirming what I've said all along. A synonym for the western south is Texas since I don't think any other state fits in the category. I don't think anyone has ever denied the historical ties and southern influences that Texas shares with the south but Texas is such a huge and varied state with such a unique history. I never said Texas was a southwestern state if anything, nor did I say its definitely a great plains state. If I went to Minnesota and asked a hundred people name the first three things that come to mind when you think of Mississippi, and then asked them the same thing about Alabama or Georgia how many are going to be the same answers, but if I asked about Texas the answers would no doubt be very different.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
=TexasTwoFace;34086132]Referring to Texas as "Western South" is just affirming what I've said all along. A synonym for the western south is Texas since I don't think any other state fits in the category. I don't think anyone has ever denied the historical ties and southern influences that Texas shares with the south but Texas is such a huge and varied state with such a unique history.
No, it isn't really...even though I can appreciate your point a bit. The problem is that you (and lots of others), seem to consistently regard the eastern South as being synonymous with "the South", itself. And this is really where the whole controversy comes into play.

Quote:
I never said Texas was a southwestern state if anything, nor did I say its definitely a great plains state. If I went to Minnesota and asked a hundred people name the first three things that come to mind when you think of Mississippi, and then asked them the same thing about Alabama or Georgia how many are going to be the same answers, but if I asked about Texas the answers would no doubt be very different.
I don't doubt that, but how much were those answers influenced by old Hollywood western movies vis a vis' actual experience and or them knowing anything about the real history/culture of the South at all?.

But anyway, again, you seem to be (as many do, not just you), accept by default that the deep southeast is THE standard of what is or is not Southern. In some ways, yes, it is...as in terms of the moonlight and magnolia stereotype...but that is only a very limited and, in fact, comparatively recent, dichotomy.

I realize such a thing comes about honestly...and got started when for real in popular mindset during the 30's and 40's at least partly due to the above mentioned movies that put Texas in the "West" (actually though, they were filmed in southern California and Arizona), and another genre that played off of Margaret Mitchell's classic novel "Gone With the Wind" (and I love both and all), that presented the "Old South" as being something apart from the "West."

What is often ignored is that Texas was a blend of both...and if one really looks close, even many of those old "Westerns" (Red River, for example) clearly link Texas' no-question ties to the South itself.

I suppose I could keep going on -- and I don't expect in the least that everyone agree with me -- but I have rambled on enough (at least on this post! LOL).

Old 03-28-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
=BajanYankee;34083670]Here are some clips from other reviews of the book.
Looks like TexReb knows his stuff...
LOL. Thanks for your compliment Bajan, but all that aside, (and I can tell we would probably disagree with one another on politicial philosophy, but be able to have a great discussion/debate), I have enjoyed your posts and points for sure!

In addition to the one I already gave officially, here are quite a few more for your articulate and well-written and informed posts!

Just something to add, referencing back to the quote from Dr. Campbell, here is another I just came across in an old issue of Texas Monthly Magazine that I didn't know that he was actually quoted in, long the book was written. As he said, he came from Old Virginia, and had no idea before he moved to Texas and became a professor at NTS, just how Southern, Texas really was/is.

It boils down to that the attempt to remove Texas from its Southern essence is one that was deliberate and contrived, and on the part of certain state historians and politicians for self-serving reasons...but yet really had no historical validity.

Here is the segment article (see Southern Revival School):

Forget the Alamo: Page 2 of 4 | Texas Monthly

Also, to add to what you mentioned earlier, here is an excerpt quoting Link that sums it up very well:

But Lind points out that the image of Texas many Americans held back in 1963 was mostly made up. Real cowboys were not actually so important to Texas, because cattle was a less important part of the economy than cotton.

State boosters had begun promoting the idea that Texas was "where the West begins," as one slogan puts it, with the centennial celebrations of 1936, hoping to eradicate the state's segregationist image as part of the South.

Giant, an Edna Ferber novel, was made into a 1956 movie that gave the whole country the idea that everyone in Texas was a rancher like Rock Hudson, Lind says.

"Texas was very much part of the South and the Old Confederacy," says Bud Kennedy, a columnist with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "The governor and tourist leaders decided that people didn't want to have anything to do with the South but loved cowboys and they promoted this idea of the cowboys and the West."

Anyway, time to hit the sack and sleep in late tomorrow! Y'all all have a good one! G'night!

Old 03-28-2014, 10:52 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
I know, right? I have tons of family in DC and Maryland and they consider themselves Southerners. *shrugs*. Are they and the people I know down there wrong?
Well, Maryland was never a Confederate state. But Florida was/is. So if a Black person born and raised in South Florida, considers themselves Southern, then that should by default of Florida being a part of the Confederacy, should hold more merit over a Black person who was born/raised in DC/Maryland, thinking they are Southerners. So YES, that person from DC/Maryland calling themselves a Southerner, wouldn't be wrong necessarily, but it would be awkward. And NO, a person who was born in raised in Florida(a Confederate state) wouldn't be wrong to consider themselves Southerners.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
No, I want you to tell me since talking about vowel shifts and glide deletions isn't your cup of tea. You're a man (I think) who goes by his gut. Linguistics is stupid. Your anecdotal evidence was perfectly fine before. What's wrong with it now?

If South Florida is southern, then DC is sure as hell southern. At least I can find a decent Jewish deli in South Florida. Sheesh.

And I already told you my family reps the South. And so did my mentees at Wilson.
They don't have good Jewish Delis in DC? Haha, I'm gonna make fun of DC residents about this, and I'll tell them they are a more Redneck city then Miami. Seriously, I find the fact that DC doesn't have good Deli's pretty funny. I liike DC though. But they wouldn't be too happy to be a part of the Southern Fraternity.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:07 PM

But if DC wants to be Southern, than fine, what the hell ever.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:34 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Well, Maryland was never a Confederate state. But Florida was/is. So if a Black person born and raised in South Florida, considers themselves Southern, then that should by default of Florida being a part of the Confederacy, should hold more merit over a Black person who was born/raised in DC/Maryland, thinking they are Southerners. So YES, that person from DC/Maryland calling themselves a Southerner, wouldn't be wrong necessarily, but it would be awkward. And NO, a person who was born in raised in Florida(a Confederate state) wouldn't be wrong to consider themselves Southerners.
Keep in mind that some of the Confederate soldiers who fought in Gettysburg,PA and in Maryland never returned to the South and remained behind starting families so technically you have Southern transplants that become absorbed into that part of the region Maryland/PA. Just read the history. You also have a lot of WV culture bleeding over into the southwestern portions of PA and the Maryland panhandle region. Maryland is more of a mix bag when it comes to North/South cultural heritages.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:03 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,124 times
I think we all know that it has been a close race, but in the end, I say that Florida is the more southern state overall than Texas. For starters, you see this in Texas:

http://g2.img-dpreview.com/74227646D...62D6D13BDC.jpg
http://www.texasescapes.com/TRIPS/Im...05DougBaum.jpg
http://www.texascamelcorps.com/exxon1.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City