Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater LA or San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Los Angeles 105 44.30%
San Francisco Bay Area 132 55.70%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 09:10 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, you can have that if you’re either really wealthy or live very far out from the urban core.
Or just live south of the 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Here’s a bold prediction: within two years of the Purple Line extension opening in Westwood, LA will have the better urban core.
Better how? It still won't be as compact and consistently urban.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:29 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Better how? It still won't be as compact and consistently urban.
Oh because it'll be more compact and consistently urban since the urban core is filling out its brownfields and parking lots and there will be actual reliable and speedy transit service among the string of nodes. I think the large break in it is the Hancock Park neighborhood where the "urban" part narrows down to just Wilshire Boulevard itself, but the Purple Line will help knit over that.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Oh because it'll be more compact and consistently urban since the urban core is filling out its brownfields and parking lots and there will be actual reliable and speedy transit service among the string of nodes. I think the large break in it is the Hancock Park neighborhood where the "urban" part narrows down to just Wilshire Boulevard itself, but the Purple Line will help knit over that.
But then you still have all the two story strip malls, gas stations, and drive thru's that are still very prevalent throughout the core. And once you leave those commercial corridors, residential neighborhoods full of front yards and garden style apartments. You seem to really overestimate the speed and amount of redevelopment.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:18 AM

373 posts, read 252,676 times
Quote:
I know you said you prefer density over space but I hope L.A. never becomes like SF or NYC. Owning a home in SF is the equivalent of staying in an apartment in a sense that you have no privacy or breathing room. Went to surf at ocean beach with my friend last time I visited SF and the whole trip from DTSF to the ocean was completely jam packed with NO side yards and built up to the curb. Not even NYC stayed that compact in its furthest reaches of city proper from the city center, albeit has a larger footprint than SF. But we're comparing city propers as a whole nonetheless.

I'll take my side yard and front yard in LA and can walk and drive to somewhere I want to go or take a 24 hr bus. NYC and SF can keep that outdated pre-car super dense claustrophobic development. They're all big cities and offer big city amenities so give me that with front and side yards and I'm happy. (Btw I know SF and NYC have more suburban cities near it but I'm talking city proper vs city proper)

Old 03-05-2020, 11:32 AM

373 posts, read 252,676 times
Also for those who advocate density for LA, it's hard to compare the core of LA to SF 49 sq miles because SF is full of 2 large parks while core LA isnt. With weighted density core LA still doesnt come close to SF weighted density. Also SF has the bigger downtown and the only city with multiple census tracts over 100k ppsm outside NYC. The only other city with at least 1 tract of 100k ppsm is chicago and that tract is 1 high rise building *yawn*.

So for density junkies and uninformed east coasters we have extreme density in California too. The 2nd densest city on North American continent (San Francisco) and the 3 denesest metropolitan areas in USA and 3 of the 4 densest metropolitan areas by weighted density and the state as a whole has the highest weighted density in the USA tied with Jersey.

Last edited by tion91; 03-05-2020 at 11:45 AM..

Old 03-05-2020, 12:46 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
I know you said you prefer density over space but I hope L.A. never becomes like SF or NYC. Owning a home in SF is the equivalent of staying in an apartment in a sense that you have no privacy or breathing room. Went to surf at ocean beach with my friend last time I visited SF and the whole trip from DTSF to the ocean was completely jam packed with NO side yards and built up to the curb. Not even NYC stayed that compact in its furthest reaches of city proper from the city center, albeit has a larger footprint than SF. But we're comparing city propers as a whole nonetheless.

I'll take my side yard and front yard in LA and can walk and drive to somewhere I want to go or take a 24 hr bus. NYC and SF can keep that outdated pre-car super dense claustrophobic development. They're all big cities and offer big city amenities so give me that with front and side yards and I'm happy. (Btw I know SF and NYC have more suburban cities near it but I'm talking city proper vs city proper)
Lmao ok bud. Sure.

Old 03-05-2020, 01:11 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Also for those who advocate density for LA, it's hard to compare the core of LA to SF 49 sq miles because SF is full of 2 large parks while core LA isnt. With weighted density core LA still doesnt come close to SF weighted density. Also SF has the bigger downtown and the only city with multiple census tracts over 100k ppsm outside NYC. The only other city with at least 1 tract of 100k ppsm is chicago and that tract is 1 high rise building *yawn*.

So for density junkies and uninformed east coasters we have extreme density in California too. The 2nd densest city on North American continent (San Francisco) and the 3 denesest metropolitan areas in USA and 3 of the 4 densest metropolitan areas by weighted density and the state as a whole has the highest weighted density in the USA tied with Jersey.
By square mileage DTLA is at least 5 times the size of DTSF, depending on how we're defining DTSF from day to day, and at least 3X as populated. No one can ever get this easily checkable fact right on this website.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Where are you getting weighted density core stats for each place?

In the central 55 square miles they both have about the same population, with heavy rail being a significantly bigger factor in that core in Los Angeles.

Last edited by Yac; 03-17-2020 at 07:07 AM..

Old 03-05-2020, 01:15 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Quote:

I get where you’re coming from. I’m also a more suburban-type guy. But denser neighborhoods make some sense for California, especially along transit corridors. To each their own, both metros need more housing overall.

There the New Urbanists and ToD guys get it wrong is that they have pitched such a tent in their pants that they trash suburban development. I think it’s fair to say that both will need a heavier reliance on density in the decades to come, but I don’t foresee the disappearance of SFH.

Old 03-05-2020, 01:16 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
The 2nd densest city on North American continent (San Francisco)
Sixth actually. The North American continent goes well beyond just Canada and the United States. It also includes the Caribbean Island nations, the Central American nations (all the way down to Panama), and Mexico. All in all there are 23 independent countries in North America and another 23 territories that are dependent on another country from somewhere else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America

Major North American cities by population density in the city-proper:

01. Port-au-Prince, Haiti: 70,927 people per square mile

02. New York, United States: 27,751 people per square mile

03. Guadalajara, Mexico: 26,830 people per square mile

04. Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic: 23,934 people per square mile

05. San Slavador, El Salvador: 20,446 people per square mile

06. San Francisco, United States: 18,838 people per square mile

The next high water mark for San Francisco is crossing 20,000 people per square mile on the density threshold. By city-proper, crossing 1 million people within its boundaries would also be significant.

Neither of these places are for me as living environments but I'll say that I find the San Francisco Bay Area's economy to be pretty respectable. They're always working on what comes next. If I had to hedge bets on it today then I'd say that the world's first trillionaire would be a resident of the San Francisco Bay Area. I think it speaks volumes that many cities worldwide are trying to craft economies like the San Francisco Bay Area. Imitation is the highest form of flattery. Lots of other cities also seem hellbent on getting major players in San Francisco Bay Area's private sector to expand in their cities.

I also really like a lot of the things that Los Angeles' economy is doing these days. As a fan of space related things, they're a true force in the space industry, especially from an engineering and manufacturing standpoint. I'm also really into esports, where Los Angeles is setting itself up as one of the world's primary hubs. They've also upped the ante on some transportation industries. Most of the world's hyperloop companies are all based in Los Angeles. That's a next generation transportation mode. Companies like Virgin Hyperloop One, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies, Hyper Chariot, and Arrivo (formerly) are all based in Greater Los Angeles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperloop

It looks like they want to corner that emerging industry and make it their own.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 03-05-2020 at 02:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City