Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater LA or San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Los Angeles 105 44.30%
San Francisco Bay Area 132 55.70%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 02:29 PM

373 posts, read 252,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
By square mileage DTLA is at least 5 times the size of DTSF, depending on how we're defining DTSF from day to day, and at least 3X as populated. No one can ever get this easily checkable fact right on this website.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Where are you getting weighted density core stats for each place?

In the central 55 square miles they both have about the same population, with heavy rail being a significantly bigger factor in that core in Los Angeles.
Well even though LA has more skyscrapers by a few buildings its all spread throughout the city while SF's is strictly in downtown. Downtown runs from embarcadero to van ness (well the continous skyline does).. also SF isnt 55 sq miles so i dont know u came up with that. Core LA has hardly any parks but SF has HUGE parks and the Presidio so it's not a true comparison of density. Weighted density is density where people actually live and SF was way more dense than any part of LA. Also we have 3 stations in downtown LA (4 if u include union) and last time I was in SF I seen more in its downtown area. Also I doubt we have more heavy rail commuters than SF. The trains there are packed and it looks like manhattan at times. You can just look and see that LA is not as dense as SF anywhere and that's a good thing because we have big city amenities like SF or NYC but also front and side yards in our city proper unlike the claustrophobic east coast and SF. If u want urban you can live in downtown LA. Best of both worlds. You have t ok leave SF proper to have breathing room. Other than that you're stuck on the hilly unwalkable island

Last edited by Yac; 03-17-2020 at 07:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 02:36 PM

Can someone explain why the other LA natives are advocating for density. Suburban and medium density is what makes SoCal special and laid back. It's not like its the country and hillbilly at all. its just laid back. Why try to blend in with older cities? LA is very walkable

Old 03-05-2020, 02:41 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
Can someone explain why the other LA natives are advocating for density. Suburban and medium density is what makes SoCal special and laid back. It's not like its the country and hillbilly at all. its just laid back. Why try to blend in with older cities? LA is very walkable
Because SFH zoning is a terrible idea and car-dependent city design perpetuates inequality and contributes to climate change.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:45 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I’d consider Union Station downtown. The regional connector opens before the Purple Line extension finishes and will have three new underground stops, and there will be a total of five interlined light rail stops downtown due to the regional connector.

LA’s other subway stations, including the coming Purple Line extension ones are generally going to still be in LA, though that’s due to LA’s expansive official land boundaries.
You can't forget the Santa Ana branch line either, which can add an additional 2-4 stops within Downtown LA depending on which route it takes once completed before the Olympics in 2028. I'm conflicting on whether or not I want it to go through the Fashion District or Arts District. If the Purple Line is extended into the Arts District, then the Santa Ana Branch Line should go through the Fashion District.

Quote:
Because increased density helps with lowering car usage, it increases transit usage, and allows for more housing. Before even touching the single-family neighborhoods, LA can spend 50+ years redeveloping strip centers and parking lots into mixed-use developments. This will be even easier along current transit lines.

Downtown LA alone has so much room for development itself, and has the infrastructure to handle it. Hollywood is another neighborhood but NIMBYs hurt development there. Koreatown will continue to bustle and boom since there's less NIMBYism there and it'll have even better transit access once the Purple is extended as it sits between Downtown and Westwood/UCLA.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Because SFH zoning is a terrible idea and car-dependent city design perpetuates inequality and contributes to climate change.
Good point. People in LA choose to drive because theres quite a few bus lines that are 24/7

Old 03-05-2020, 02:49 PM

Are you guys considering la metro light rails as subway stations?

Old 03-05-2020, 02:57 PM

For the original post, it depends what you're looking for. LA is larger but both are considered some of the largest cities in the world overall. L.A. is now probably the hub of California because of its size while SF was the original hub of California. They're both great and both for different people's interests but also share a lot in common especially the East Bay and LA which looks identical at times and indistinguishable. We all win if you live in California because we have 2 world class cities IN THE SAME STATE. California is amazing! We have the whole world in one state.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:59 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
Quote:
Are you guys considering la metro light rails as subway stations?
I would, because technically MUNI Metro is just underground light rail through DTSF, the same way the A and E lines run above ground outside DTLA, but go underground in DTLA.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I would, because technically MUNI Metro is just underground light rail through DTSF, the same way the A and E lines run above ground outside DTLA, but go underground in DTLA.
Well then LA subways are still not on SFs level. I'm a homer at tines but I dont mind showing SF love if it's real information. I disregard that dumb SoCal norcal rivalry. We're the only state who's rivalry is that tense

Old 03-05-2020, 03:04 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
Quote:
First off I really don't think LA is laid back at all. After moving here my observation is it already has densely packed neighborhoods. What is wrong with enhancing these areas by building a good public transportation network to give us options on getting around? What's wrong with building new housing in these areas filling in hideous parking lots? Do you have any problem with the Adaptable Reuse Initiative where tons of shabby abandoned historic buildings are being refurbished and reused for new housing, hotels and offices? I love what's taking place in LA, especially downtown. Never understood why people think LA is laid back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City