Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater LA or San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Los Angeles 105 44.30%
San Francisco Bay Area 132 55.70%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2014, 11:18 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
What? No, it is exactly like the distinction between areas in the Bay. Both metros are famous for their micro climates. There is a reason on the weather report down here the meteorologists all designate between "Valleys" "Metro" "Coast" and "Mountains", often with very different forecasts.

The biggest difference in weather is that it rains a little more in the Bay Area and gets a little colder during the winter.
Before I start responding to this, LA Mex is wrong--nowhere in winter in LA does it average "low 70sF" as a daytime high. Sometimes they'll see warm spurts, but the average in winter is in the 60sF, no matter how close to the coast you are, or how far. And the IE is NOT part of LA!!

OK, now to your post. Actually, I'd say the biggest difference between LA and SF weather is that SF's summer is mostly cool and foggy. LA's is usually sunny and warm/hot.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhiterose View Post
But you can always escape SF city and go inland where it's warmer/sunnier and the greater bay area gets more variety of sun and rain than So Cal. 21-22 inches around SF, only 12-14 inches in LA. Weather from one LA/OC neighborhood to another is mostly the same other than the valleys heating up a lot more in summer.
...and cooling down a lot more in winter, particularly at night.

LA has this variety as well. You forget that fog affects SoCal as well, usually in the evenings in the summer months, or in May/June. You can go from a foggy 72F day in Santa Monica to a clear 85F day in downtown. Similarly, in December during the morning: it can be 32F with frost on the lawn in Woodland Hills, but in Venice Beach will be 50F. I'll agree that the Bay Area gets more rain, but it is still actually quite dry in comparison to most of the country.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:22 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
...and cooling down a lot more in winter, particularly at night.

LA has this variety as well. You forget that fog affects SoCal as well, usually in the evenings in the summer months, or in May/June. You can go from a foggy 72F day in Santa Monica to a clear 85F day in downtown. Similarly, in December during the morning: it can be 32F with frost on the lawn in Woodland Hills, but in Venice Beach will be 50F. I'll agree that the Bay Area gets more rain, but it is still actually quite dry in comparison to most of the country.
I worked in DTLA and lived in MDR. I'd leave work and my car would say it was somewhere between 80-95 in DTLA. By the time I got on the 405 it will have dropped to about 75-80. By the time I got on the 90, especially once I got home, it wasn't uncommon to be around 65 and a wall of fog.

I've even noticed a difference between West LA and the South Bay. I find the South Bay to be generally a bit warmer. During a heatwave, SaMo may be around 82 while Hermosa Beach will be around 88-90.

Long Beach is another thing all together. Always smack dab between West LA and DTLA temps. Typical summer day at 70-75 in SaMo, 85-90 in DTLA, but 78-82 in LBC.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:28 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,114 times
Quote:
Before I start responding to this, LA Mex is wrong--nowhere in winter in LA does it average "low 70sF" as a daytime high. Sometimes they'll see warm spurts, but the average in winter is in the 60sF, no matter how close to the coast you are, or how far. And the IE is NOT part of LA!!

OK, now to your post. Actually, I'd say the biggest difference between LA and SF weather is that SF's summer is mostly cool and foggy. LA's is usually sunny and warm/hot.
you are completely wrong, the whole area east from downtown LA to Yorba Linda the south san gabrial valley crossing rose hills/whittier hills south into southgate, bell, etc all average low 70s highs in winter.

weather.com and noaa data prove this (weather.coms new website doesnt let me see the averages chart, i hate the new site)

IE is LA Area, damn, its just like NYC and jersey city, san francisco and san jose, san diego and camp pendlelton.

youre missing the biggest part, winter is very different, wdespread nights in 30s and days in 50s in the bay area, here in LA averages go from 65-72 winter in day, and 40-51 at night. warmest in the day east LA, commerce, bell, downey, cities near... coolest the beaches (in the day), at night coldest is woodland hills area, warmest santa monica.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:43 AM

Camp Pendleton is actually in San Diego County...the IE has its own counties and is not part of LA, and the same goes for OC for that matter.

And your climate data needs to be updated. I've been in SoCal, lived there for 7 years, had family in LA (including the valley) and in the IE that I visited in all seasons. The average daytime high was in the 60sF. Yes, some days were 70F and above but it wasn't the norm. Everyone else you argue with about this agrees with me and laughs at you. Admit you are wrong, and get over it.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Camp Pendleton is actually in San Diego County...the IE has its own counties and is not part of LA, and the same goes for OC for that matter.

And your climate data needs to be updated. I've been in SoCal, lived there for 7 years, had family in LA (including the valley) and in the IE that I visited in all seasons. The average daytime high was in the 60sF. Yes, some days were 70F and above but it wasn't the norm. Everyone else you argue with about this agrees with me and laughs at you. Admit you are wrong, and get over it.
I've lived here over 20 years, and you are going to argue with me because you got 7 years experience living in San Diego. HAHAHAHA

NOAA and weather.com support me, i quote these institutions when i post here. low 70s is the AVERAGE WINTER HIGH in Half of LA, IE is upper 60s. Not all the Metro Area is low 70s, 1/3 of the metro is 70 F and above in winter. and that is a FACT, stop trying to prove national institutions years of data gathering wrong because you never will be, neither will your 7 years of experience vs. my 20.

IE is part of Los Angeles Area, i dont know why you argue this, it seems silly (just like you argue OC is not LA Area, or that national gathered data is wrong, if anything it should be warmer than what is currently showed in the averages).

look at data for any city in between Downtown LA, Montebello, San Gabriel, La Puente, Brea, Yorba Linda, Tustin, Costa Mesa, Santa Ana, Stanton, Buena Park, Bellflower, Paramount, and Southgate all average winter highs are 70 F and above. if anything the averages should be increased. (yes the IE averages upper 60s, and the rest of LA Area averages upper 60s)

Old 11-27-2014, 08:12 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
I don't think I've ever heard someone deny the IE and OC as being part of LA before. Greater LA includes the counties of LA, Ventura, Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside. There's no denying that.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I don't think I've ever heard someone deny the IE and OC as being part of LA before. Greater LA includes the counties of LA, Ventura, Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside. There's no denying that.
try to make Hawaii4ever notice that, please, he seems silly trying to prove its not the LA Area.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:33 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
^^^^

Quote:
And the IE is NOT part of LA!!
It's been said before. It's one thing to say Stockton is not a part of the Bay Area, but it's an entirely different thing to say the IE is not a part of "LA", or "SoCal", which to many are one in the same thing.

I don't want to pick on Hawaii4evr too much because he/she is often quite fair, but often times when it comes to CA, there are definitely a lot of questionable posts.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:44 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,900 times
Try reading any of his/her posts about SF, it's even more amusing because he/she admittedly knows very little about the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City