Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater LA or San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Los Angeles 105 44.30%
San Francisco Bay Area 132 55.70%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 09:32 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Exactly, great LA's core is rapidly developing but so is SF's. Probably even more so since employers actually want to be located downtown and not just hotels and condos/apartments. I guess it's not as noticeable because it's not a bunch of surface parking lots being demolished?
I doubt that. And actually quite a few companies have relocated to DTLA from other parts of the area. Something you probably didn't know. Plus its residential population is growing at a faster pace than any other part of the city. Its quite remarkable what is taking place in DTLA. I live downtown and I see it every day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 09:47 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I doubt that. And actually quite a few companies have relocated to DTLA from other parts of the area. Something you probably didn't know. Plus its residential population is growing at a faster pace than any other part of the city. Its quite remarkable what is taking place in DTLA. I live downtown and I see it every day
Has downtown LA even built any new towers that are solely office space? Seems like they all include condos/apartments and hotels. Given office rents are pretty low in DTLA I doubt it's even financially feasible to build a high rise that's just commercial office space. They both just built 1,000+ towers and of course LA's includes hotel rooms and condos. SF's is just commercial office space and is actually named after a company.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:57 PM

390 posts, read 389,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I just have to tell you, this is a super-unexpected response.

So you're saying that the entire entity known as "downtown NYC/Philadelphia/Boston" looked exactly as they did in 1930 as they do right now? That is what I am saying about Los Angeles, or at least the central business district. Yes, every city east of the Mississippi will have structures, streets, alleys etc. that are more historic, but things were moved, built in between old buildings, downtowns were moved, etc. I'm talking about the entire downtown CBD, not historic quarters or districts.

Downtown NYC, Boston, and Philly have older buildings and neighborhoods, but they don't look THE SAME as they did in 1930 (hint, skyscrapers). Yes, Los Angeles has 1100 foot skyscrapers now, but they are OUTSIDE of the original CBD.
These people don't see what we see. They are looking at the "now" but people like us who see the change and see where the downtown is headed, know that in 5-10 years or maybe less, DTLA will be the place to be.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:06 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
LA is way better than SF: warmer climate, much bigger population, more more exciting, better downtown and more interesting people. LA is way more known as a global, international city. There's a whole lot more high rise construction in Dt. LA and throughout the region, looking at Hollywood, too.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:08 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
L.A. is getting the Olympics and World Cup finals, most likely like it did back in 1994.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:13 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
LA is way better than SF: warmer climate, much bigger population, more more exciting, better downtown and more interesting people. LA is way more known as a global, international city. There's a whole lot more high rise construction in Dt. LA and throughout the region, looking at Hollywood, too.
Yea, but this is a discussion on the metro level, and downtown LA is no match for downtown Sam Jose which is the zenith urban downtown of the world.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:26 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Has downtown LA even built any new towers that are solely office space? Seems like they all include condos/apartments and hotels. Given office rents are pretty low in DTLA I doubt it's even financially feasible to build a high rise that's just commercial office space. They both just built 1,000+ towers and of course LA's includes hotel rooms and condos. SF's is just commercial office space and is actually named after a company.
I don't think downtown LA has built any solely office space new towers, not any that I know of. There's renovations of existing ones and there are mixed-use towers that include office space, but I don't think any that are solely office space. I believe there are some on the west side.

Downtown LA office space is pretty cheap compared to San Francisco and has higher vacancies, and the city is trying to pivot the use of that office space for creative and tech jobs. It might work out since there's a lot of transit access going to the area as well as a lot of new residents.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:28 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,386,392 times
LA has not built office towers (solely) in Downtown LA. Most of the newest towers are residential, either rental or condos. Then there are numerous new hotels like Intercontinental, Indigo and soon Grand Hyatt.

For what I read, there isn't much need for expensive office space/towers. Many of the tech related industry is has moved towards the beach areas like SM, Venice, Playa Vista and that area.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/...-valley-rival/

Many new office buildings are mid rise maybe 5-7 stories high in Playa Vista with thousands of new housing units nearby.
https://goo.gl/maps/WVowcSzBMNm

Netflix has moved into more space at the new Sunset Bronson Studios tower.
https://goo.gl/maps/jTA6Xg7w8MG2

But many of the newer office spaces are moving into the low and mid rise buildings of Downtown. This building on 8th and Broadway is under major renovation. Going to bring offices, shops, restaurants, and upper level hotel.
https://goo.gl/maps/xddakvQETES2

There are many smaller buildings being renovated and turned to office space for small companies but nothing huge or brand new. I dont think LA is that type of city that needs too many large office buildings like a NYC or Chicago. LA's job market and CBDs are so spread out and keeps spreading out like at the growing tech hub at Playa Vista.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:49 AM

456 posts, read 774,428 times
I have a slightly off topic question but its been on my mind since our latest trip to S.F. Which of these two cities has a better plan for dealing with homelessness? Are they about the same or is something more innovative / effective being implemented in one of them?

Old 01-11-2018, 12:18 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
L.A. is getting the Olympics and World Cup finals, most likely like it did back in 1994.
Sporting venues are awful in SF. Even the NFL did not want to be there. Oakland sporting venues are even worse. Hope the A's can get put of the nasty east bay and move to Austin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City