Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater LA or San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Los Angeles 105 44.30%
San Francisco Bay Area 132 55.70%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 10:24 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Yes I know that parts of both skylines are omitted, Im attempting to compare them to scale.

Also, Wilshire Grand isnt very impressive from this angle. Library Tower will always be LAs true tallest imo. Now that is a stunning tower!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 10:32 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It seems rather late to the current boom as well. I agree the changes are more obvious but that's only because downtown LA was just that much worse overall to begin with, really could only go up at that point. I don't really think that equates to the definition of "more rapid" but if that's what people actually mean, "more of a change" sure I guess. I looked at it as saying "more development" going on.

DTLA is certainly going through a transit renaissance compared to other cities but again that's mainly because it was behind other cities to begin with, not saying that's a bad thing just saying. But even then with the Transbay Terminal (not sure why you would omit that massive project) I'm guessing DTSF still has more money devoted to transit construction than DTLA.
Right, that's why I went at length about rate of change. I'm not the guy who claimed SF looked like Fresno--I didn't believe that at all. However, the difference for downtown LA that recent years has brought is a much more dramatic one than the one for downtown SF which is *not* equivalent to say that downtown SF hasn't gone through its own dramatic changes.

I omitted the Transbay Terminal / Transbay Transit Center because there is no ongoing mass transit rail or commuter rail portion under construction there save for a large basement layer that will sit empty until connecting tracks are approved. I mentioned that the Caltrain extension which is supposed to go into this, but no connecting tracks are actually under construction nor funded. That's phase 2 which hopefully should have its plans and funding source ironed out soon. I believe bus services are starting to get in place though.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-12-2018 at 10:42 AM..

Old 01-12-2018, 11:10 PM

615 posts, read 599,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes I know that parts of both skylines are omitted, Im attempting to compare them to scale.

Also, Wilshire Grand isnt very impressive from this angle. Library Tower will always be LAs true tallest imo. Now that is a stunning tower!
Wilshire's spire is such a cop out, no way that thing is taller than US Bank. The crown is at 928 feet (283m), not even a real supertall.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Wilshire's spire is such a cop out, no way that thing is taller than US Bank. The crown is at 928 feet (283m), not even a real supertall.
It at least makes it look a bit nicer though neither building looks particularly pleasing.

Neither of these cities are ever really going to be known for their skyscrapers. That ship sailed a while back.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:06 PM

567 posts, read 430,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Sporting venues are awful in SF. Even the NFL did not want to be there. Oakland sporting venues are even worse. Hope the A's can get put of the nasty east bay and move to Austin!
You're right. Only one pro team actually plays in the city of SF, the Giants. The 49'ers play in San Jose and the Golden State Warriors (Not the SF Warriors) play in Oakland. The Raiders are moving out of the bay area and relocating to Las Vegas. There is no NHL team in SF nor an MLS team. On the other hand San Jose has an NHL an MLS team and is home to the 49'ers. Maybe we should be comparing San Jose vs San Francisco.

When is the last time SF hosted the Olympics? LA has hosted 2 and will be hosting the 2028 Olympics.

In an article in GQ Magazine dated January 7, 2014, GQ Declares Downtown LA The "Next Great American City" To those LA haters, read it and weep.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
You're right. Only one pro team actually plays in the city of SF, the Giants. The 49'ers play in San Jose and the Golden State Warriors (Not the SF Warriors) play in Oakland. The Raiders are moving out of the bay area and relocating to Las Vegas. There is no NHL team in SF nor an MLS team. On the other hand San Jose has an NHL an MLS team and is home to the 49'ers.

When is the last time SF hosted the Olympics? LA has hosted 2 and will be hosting the 2028 Olympics.

In an article in GQ Magazine dated January 7, 2014, GQ Declares Downtown LA The "Next Great American City" To those LA haters, read it and weep.
This topic was Bay Area vs Greater Los Angeles. The Bay Area most certainly includes both San Jose and Oakland. Also, people in SF, the city, have the ability/infrastructure to get to those other stadiums.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:14 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This topic was Bay Area vs Greater Los Angeles. The Bay Area most certainly includes both San Jose and Oakland. Also, people in SF, the city, have the ability/infrastructure to get to those other stadiums.

There is no San Jose BART station, where two of these "Bay Area" pro teams play.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
There is no San Jose BART station, where two of these "Bay Area" pro teams play.
There's Caltrain, dawg!

That does suck that rail is split like that though. BART should have never gone broad gauge. That decision is going to keep things balkanized forever.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:27 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Judging by the your pics, even with less skyscrapers, LA still looks like the larger city. It's something about that skyline that gives that effect that I can't quite put my finger on.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:37 PM

567 posts, read 430,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
LA fans routinely get to Staples Center for Lakers, Clippers and Kings games using the Blue, Red and Expo rail lines and use the Expo line to get to the LA Memorial Coliseum for Rams and USC Trojan games. Dodger fans can use Metrolink and the Red line subway to get to Union Station, where shuttle buses take them to Dodger Stadium, only two miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City