Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater LA or San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Los Angeles 105 44.30%
San Francisco Bay Area 132 55.70%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 06:47 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
Good info.....thanks. Any idea's on future projects. I for one would like to see the Crenshaw line eventually hook up with the Red Line subway at Hollywood/Highland.
Crenshaw line extension is good.

Vermont subway with the red line going straight down is something I’m in favor of as it would allow both lines to be more frequent and Vermont is the second heaviest bus corridor after Wilshire (which the Purple Line extension is partially addressing).

Another would be electrification of Metrolink and running it with greater frequency and elimination of grade crossings as well as extending Metrolink through the harbor subdivision as part of a larger S-Bahn/RER type system which BART sort of is. In some ways the Metrolink lines parallel in parts with existing and coming light rail lines so this S-Bahn system would work as express stops while light rail serves as local stops. Something paralleling the 405 connecting the valley with the westside also makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 06:55 PM

567 posts, read 430,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Crenshaw line extension is good.

Vermont subway with the red line going straight down is something I’m in favor of as it would allow both lines to be more frequent and Vermont is the second heaviest bus corridor after Wilshire (which the Purple Line extension is partially addressing). Another would be electrification of Metrolink and running it with greater frequency and elimination of grade crossings as well as extending Metrolink through the harbor subdivision as part of a larger S-Bahn/RER type system. In some ways these parallel in parts with existing and coming light rail lines so this S-Bahn system would work as express stops while light rail serves as local stops. Something paralleling the 405 connecting the valley with the westside also makes sense.
What about extending the Crenshaw line beyond LAX to the Southbay along Aviation Blvd.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Is VTA the Green line?
This is the VTA light rail line: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sant...ity_light_rail

It’d become more useful with Caltrain electrification and phase 2 of the Silicon Valley BART expansion as well as added infill development. There are two main lines and a tiny spur—you can see that the northern part where they split up actually can allow for a east-west line, but there’s not enough development along that corridor to make a third line out of that right now. Maaaybe it might be worth revisiting if the BART connection at Montague proves popular enough.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
What about extending the Crenshaw line beyond LAX to the Southbay along Aviation Blvd.
It’s a good idea.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:50 PM

567 posts, read 430,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And yet can a city that has a subpar downtown is never really taken seriously by urbanists no matter how impressive it's suburbs are.

Sorry.

No we're talking about a city that should be the king of the west coast by virtue of it's megasize alone, being supplanted and embarrassed by a smaller neighbor in several categories it should dominate.
LA is the behemoth of the west coast. That's not even debatable. Even if you combine the greater metro populations of San Francisco, Seattle, Portland and San Diego, which have a combined population of approximately 17 million, the greater metro population of LA exceeds that by a million.

LAX is the 3rd busiest airport in the US and 6th busiest in the world. The Port of Los Angeles/Long Beach is the busiest in the US and 9th busiest in the world. And the list goes on.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:40 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,384,523 times
Quote:
The Crenshaw line will go to end of the current Green line terminus. So the Green line and Crenshaw line will share several stations towards the south bay. and split off towards Norwalk and to the Expo line connection.
The green line will also split with trains going to the south bay and trains going to LAX station where it will meet bus/future trams to LAX terminals. But Norwalk to Expo line could be a possibility but not likely. The depots to keep the for both trains lines for train repairs/maintenance/storage is right next to westchester/future LAX connector tram.

Hope this google link works to show how it splits.
https://goo.gl/maps/mmRsSnEQjU92

Old 01-17-2018, 04:22 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
I took this pic myself about 20 minutes ago after landing at Burbank and then stopping off at Porto's Bakery...

Im in the fashion district buying huge rolls of fabric...anyhow once again, to compare this otherwise decent downtown to SF is an excercise in foolishness.

Very nice weather today tho...

Old 01-17-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I took this pic myself about 20 minutes ago after landing at Burbank and then stopping off at Porto's Bakery...

Im in the fashion district buying huge rolls of fabric...anyhow once again, to compare this otherwise decent downtown to SF is an excercise in foolishness.

Very nice weather today tho...
You were coming in a freeway from a satellite city more than ten miles away from the fashion district, so what? Were you hoping to walk it? That’s like walking from one end of SF to another.

I don’t think downtown LA is as vibrant as downtown SF, but you chose a pretty silly way to illustrate this.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:50 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,006,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You were coming in a freeway from a satellite city more than ten miles away from the fashion district, so what? Were you hoping to walk it? That’s like walking from one end of SF to another.

I don’t think downtown LA is as vibrant as downtown SF, but you chose a pretty silly way to illustrate this.
Right, lets take a picture coming into SF from Daly City. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SF is not even a fashion capitol. People wear mall cloths like NORTH FACE there. LOL

Old 01-17-2018, 08:03 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
I arrived in DT LA around 3ish today, its quite a bit underwhelming as Ive already stated, at street level SF crushes LA period, but I already knew that. Much of LA literally doesnt look like the developed world as far as the grit. That's very odd.

Otoh, the view of the skyline coming north on the 110 is amazing...but dont look at the street.

I'll be here til tomorrow afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City