Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater LA or San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Los Angeles 105 44.30%
San Francisco Bay Area 132 55.70%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 01:52 PM

724 posts, read 560,593 times

Advertisements

I choose LA because I feel like its a pretty misunderstood place in a way that SF is not. It just seems more exotic to me than SF does
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 11:43 PM

136 posts, read 123,740 times
L.A is way, way better. SFBA, there are small pockets of nice areas but it is mostly a ridiculously expensive dump.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:30 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
Greater Los Angeles.

As a metropolis, it is one of the top 8 on planet Earth. IMO.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:58 PM

409 posts, read 333,895 times
Greater LA.

Weather and amenities are more appealing to me than SF. Plus it's almost like its own country imo.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:56 AM

6,738 posts, read 6,727,597 times
Tech isn't some niche industry. LA tech companies don't offer the same equity packages, and the selection of employers is more limited. LA is better if you're in the arts or entertainment. SF has way more high end jobs per capita.

Much of LA is also "hidden" if you don't know about it. I know people who've been to LA 30 times and never been to Silver Lake, K-town, Echo Park, or even Griffith Observatory. SF is more like a dense, eastern city where most people see or visit the Ferry Building, Golden Gate Bridge, Marina, etc.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:59 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
I vote for........the state of California....which no state can compete with when it comes to its two most stellar cities, Los Angeles and San Francisco. Texas comes in a distant second and Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania barely make the radar screen.

LA and SF in one state: that's pretty incredible.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:54 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Ideally neither and that is the beauty in there being an entire planet full of cities outside of these two.

However, in the context of this comparison where an individual must simply pick and choose one of the two selections given, then my answer is the San Francisco Bay Area.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 08-05-2018 at 02:10 PM..

Old 08-05-2018, 01:38 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Tech isn't some niche industry. LA tech companies don't offer the same equity packages, and the selection of employers is more limited. LA is better if you're in the arts or entertainment. SF has way more high end jobs per capita.

Much of LA is also "hidden" if you don't know about it. I know people who've been to LA 30 times and never been to Silver Lake, K-town, Echo Park, or even Griffith Observatory. SF is more like a dense, eastern city where most people see or visit the Ferry Building, Golden Gate Bridge, Marina, etc.
But isn't that every city? I know many people who visited DC dozens of times and never been to Anacostia, Frederick Douglas' house, Deanwood, Petworth, Hillcrest, Fort Dupont and many others. With NYC I know people who never set foot in Harlem and Brooklyn but visited NY many times.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:26 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
Lived in SF (Marin) and SoCal (OC and SD, not LA—but visited quite often when I lived in OC).

SF is the more sophisticated city with access to more “nature” oriented things that I preferred more (Mt Tamalpais, Carmel, Napa/Sonoma, Lake Berryessa/Clear Lake, Yosemite, Tahoe—maybe because the Bay Area is more greener for greater periods of the year) and a more gritty, grounded populace that, as an ex NY’er, I had more in common with. Best commute in the country was when I took the Tiburon or Larkspur ferry to and from work in downtown SF. Deer would come up to me when I went for my morning jog...ran into more celebrities when I lived in Marin (Bob Weir, Bill Graham, Joe DiMaggio, Journey, Larry Hagman, Mary Martin, Rosie Casals, etc etc etc)...SF Bay Area companies have transformed the world. I actually felt very sad when I had to leave the Bay Area.

LA/SoCal has better weather (actually, there are many microclimates in both areas but, in general, it rains less in SoCal and is warmer in the winter months), better beaches, better looking women, but had a Peter Pan syndrome to it, it felt as though I was on the set of Groundhog Day, more people trying too hard to impress me (they often failed to) and when it was time for me to leave I missed my 5-6 solid friends (all but 1 not from SoCal) but not the area. People very sensitive and insecure—if you said anything negative about the area you would receive an infantile response of, if you don’t like it here why don’t you leave. Preferred the vibe and sexiness of LA to other areas of SoCal—more alive, cutting edge, open minded and diverse. Seems as though those from other areas of SoCal are quick to diss on LA and tell you “we’re not LA” or some dog whistle term such as “we prefer it here where it is clean and safe” yet include their proximity to it (day trip) as a benefit when defending the other areas they live in. Strange love/hate (envy?) with LA from these other areas within SoCal.

There was also a looking down at and/or hatred from SF people towards LA, which most Angelenos seemed unaware of and/or oblivious to.

Last edited by elchevere; 08-05-2018 at 04:34 PM..

Old 08-05-2018, 03:28 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I vote for........the state of California....which no state can compete with when it comes to its two most stellar cities, Los Angeles and San Francisco. Texas comes in a distant second and Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania barely make the radar screen.

LA and SF in one state: that's pretty incredible.
Lol that's not the question of the OP or point of the poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City