Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater LA or San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Los Angeles 105 44.30%
San Francisco Bay Area 132 55.70%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 10:55 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
DC's is built that way too. I think the reason why BART is so low is because it's simply an inefficient system and a lot of the employment in the Bay is away from BART (Silicon Valley/Peninsula). You couple this with the Bay Area's need to limit growth, specifically around BART stations, and you have low ridership.
it carries more passengers than every rail mode in LA’s CSA combined lol. As well as having the 2nd highest farebox recovery ratio (a standard measure of transit efficiency) in the nation after NYC’s subway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
BART functions more like a commuter rail / heavy rail hybrid which helps explain its ridership numbers. It’d be great if in the near future operated like that.
Angelenos clearly don’t understand anything about rail lol. They think it’s all the same, probably because so few use it. Bless their Hearts...

Old 09-02-2018, 11:57 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not really good news for them as that will either exasperate overcrowding or force them to move farther out and commute. You really didn’t seem to think that one out there....
No, not good news for them as gentrification and rising prices will mean that some people will be pushed out. What was there to think about for that? I’m not sure where you got the idea that was not going to be the case as I specifically said it was good news for you because of your antipathy for the poor—this good news is from your perspective where we are sticking it to the poor immigrant and increasing density and numbers of affluent people in the neighborhood.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:13 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Quote:
Angelenos clearly don’t understand anything about rail lol. They think it’s all the same, probably because so few use it. Bless their Hearts...
Reading comprehension? He actually stated that BART is different, not the same. It extends way into the suburbs with large park and ride lots with long distances between stations and has a distance based fare and is relatively infrequent. Hence why it’s a commuter/rapid transit hybrid.

FTR I really like the Bay Area and could definitely live there. Especially in the city.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:13 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
I can understand the confusion since commuter rail / heavy rail / light rail / streetcars sort of run a gradient where you can have hybrids with attributes from different categories. You’ll see that with LA’s light rail system which is really expansive in miles of track in the way commuter rail has, but can be street-running or grade-separated at different points and with stop spacings that run a gamut. Meanwhile, Muni Metro which is usually considered light rail often runs like a streetcar in parts with having to stop at streetlights and almost absurdly close stop spacing.

Then with BART you ostensibly have four different lines servicing SF proper, but it’s really one single line in SF proper as it’s all those lines interlined on the same set of tracks. When the Purple Linex extension finishes in LA, the central core LA will still have only two lines, but because there’s not as intense of an interlining, those non-interlined stops are going to be very frequent and will give much better actual rapid transit service to people living in LA’s urban core than anything that SF proper has or will have in the foreseeable future.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
No, not good news for them as gentrification and rising prices will mean that some people will be pushed out. What was there to think about for that? I’m not sure where you got the idea that was not going to be the case as I specifically said it was good news for you because of your antipathy for the poor—this good news is from your perspective where we are sticking it to the poor immigrant and increasing density and numbers of affluent people in the neighborhood.
I’m not the one getting a hard on about all the urban development in central LA so it doesn’t really doesn’t make a difference to me.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Reading comprehension? He actually stated that BART is different, not the same. It extends way into the suburbs with large park and ride lots with long distances between stations and has a distance based fare and is relatively infrequent. Hence why it’s a commuter/rapid transit hybrid.

FTR I really like the Bay Area and could definitely live there. Especially in the city.
I know, I wasn’t referring to him but agreeing since he was explaining the difference to other Angelenos. Yeah speaking of reading comprehension....

Old 09-02-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
it carries more passengers than every rail mode in LA’s CSA combined lol. As well as having the 2nd highest farebox recovery ratio (a standard measure of transit efficiency) in the nation after NYC’s subway.
Transit efficiency is usually measured by on time performance. Farebox recovery is a measure of economic performance. BART scores high because it is a well used and maintained system and is expensive. But the ridership per mile isn’t very good. Probably because it extends far into the suburbs.

LA probably has better coverage by rail but as you mention it’s not well used. Plus many of the services are not very good. For example BART versus metrolink.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I know, I wasn’t referring to him but agreeing since he was explaining the difference to other Angelenos. Yeah speaking of reading comprehension....
My mistake. I didn’t follow your conversation.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Transit efficiency is usually measured by on time performance. Farebox recovery is a measure of economic performance. BART scores high because it is a well used and maintained system and is expensive. But the ridership per mile isn’t very good. Probably because it extends far into the suburbs.

LA probably has better coverage by rail but as you mention it’s not well used. Plus many of the services are not very good. For example BART versus metrolink.
Not really, you can have a system with a very high on time performance but terrible ridership and farebox recovery ratio. Efficiency looks at financial performance, just look at the agency profiles in the National Transit Database (NTD). Not only the fact that it extends far into the suburbs but it crosses a 7-mile wide bay and several mountain ranges where there is no population. You have to be smoking sherm to compare it to the El train in Chicago or Red/Purple Line in LA with that metric.

I don’t really think it has better coverage either because rail doesn’t come near so many people in LA.

Last edited by sav858; 09-02-2018 at 12:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City