Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater LA or San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Los Angeles 105 44.30%
San Francisco Bay Area 132 55.70%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 07:22 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times

Advertisements

What you described was certainly applicable to me—Cornell grad whose career began in SF (brought out for an interview and hired by a fellow alumnus). Great compact city with great restaurants, more green, great outdoors, and more grounded. What SF Bay Area lacked with beach it made up with Napa/Sonoma, Tahoe, Lake Berryessa, and Monterrey/Carmel.

While I became acclimated to a warm weather climate following a job transfer to SoCal (never lived in LA proper but spent quite a bit of time there—often on weekends for more excitement than OC offered), SF/Marin—city and mentality of the people—was much easier for this NY’er to adapt to and I was really sad to leave the area. SoCal just felt far more transient and/or “resort-ish” to me, almost “Groundhog Day” like—even though I lived there for a much longer period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not everyone got this memo lol

There are certain demographic groups that will **always** pick SF over LA because of the career opportunities, far superior urban environment, far more concentrated cultural, dining, entertainment amenities etc.

This for example, has remained rather consistent for the past 40 years.

SF, 3000 miles from the east coast, draws more of grads from elite east coast schools than anywhere except NYC, while LA, the primary city on the west coast, appears to be an afterthought to this group.

So people will tend to gravitate to the kind of city that gives them the lifestyle they want.

I was in downtown LA on friday. It is no less seedy than SF. Lol

Last edited by elchevere; 02-16-2020 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 07:40 PM

I agree with you that LA has more and much better beaches but Stinson Beach in Marin is much closer to SF than Santa Cruz and you will definitely see your share of surfers directly west of SFO in Pacifica.

http://stinsonbeachonline.com/

https://www.surfline.com/travel/unit...eaches/5380420

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
LA has better beaches The closest the Bay Area has to an actual beach is Santa Cruz a few hours away.

Old 02-17-2020, 09:28 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I agree with you that LA has more and much better beaches but Stinson Beach in Marin is much closer to SF than Santa Cruz and you will definitely see your share of surfers directly west of SFO in Pacifica.

The "Official" Stinson Beach - Welcome to Stinson Beach

https://www.surfline.com/travel/unit...eaches/5380420
There are some mudflats in Vallejo that are great to play around in. You can get up to your belly button in mud, take a mud bath.

Old 02-17-2020, 09:42 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
What you described was certainly applicable to me—Cornell grad whose career began in SF (brought out for an interview and hired by a fellow alumnus). Great compact city with great restaurants, more green, great outdoors, and more grounded. What SF Bay Area lacked with beach it made up with Napa/Sonoma, Tahoe, Lake Berryessa, and Monterrey/Carmel.

While I became acclimated to a warm weather climate following a job transfer to SoCal (never lived in LA proper but spent quite a bit of time there—often on weekends for more excitement than OC offered), SF/Marin—city and mentality of the people—was much easier for this NY’er to adapt to and I was really sad to leave the area. SoCal just felt far more transient and/or “resort-ish” to me, almost “Groundhog Day” like—even though I lived there for a much longer period of time.
Yeah, SoCal has lots of great things that I love, but the Bay Area and LA Area totally attract different kinds of people and that's fine.

Just to reiterate my point:

Largest Contigious Clusters of Elite Zip
Codes defined by at least 7 in 10 adults have a
College Degree and the Average Income
exceed $120,000

1 Washington DC
2 East Manhattan
3 San Jose
4 Boston
5 Oakland
6 Bridgeport
7 Newark
8 Chicago
9 North of Los Angeles
10 Long Island
11 West Manhattan
12 Trenton
13 Philadelphia
14 San Diego
15 South of Los Angeles

Washington: A world apart | The Washington Post

Both the Southern Peninsula and East Bay top any equivalent area of LA as far as a contiguous cluster of highly educated and affluent households.

That's pretty staggering considering how much larger LA is.

Old 02-17-2020, 09:44 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Yeah, SoCal has lots of great things that I love, but the Bay Area and LA Area totally attract different kinds of people and that's fine.

exceed $120,000

1 Washington DC
2 East Manhattan
3 San Jose
4 Boston
5 Oakland
6 Bridgeport
7 Newark
8 Chicago
9 North of Los Angeles
10 Long Island
11 West Manhattan
12 Trenton
13 Philadelphia
14 San Diego
15 South of Los Angeles

Both the Southern Peninsula and East Bay top any equivalent area of LA as far as a contiguous cluster of highly educated and affluent households.

That is probably ou of date lol ... Because San Jose has gained a lot more 120k+ zipcodes, Boston has gained more than 15 since then due to the absorbent COL increases.I cant speak for LA, but SF Bay Area definitely gained over 20 more...

Old 02-17-2020, 09:55 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,027 times
Quote:

exceed $120,000

1 Washington DC
2 East Manhattan
3 San Jose
4 Boston
5 Oakland
6 Bridgeport
7 Newark
8 Chicago
9 North of Los Angeles
10 Long Island
11 West Manhattan
12 Trenton
13 Philadelphia
14 San Diego
15 South of Los Angeles

OK, but all that means is that there's more elitism and snobbish people in the Bay Area.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:28 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
OK, but all that means is that there's more elitism and snobbish people in the Bay Area.
These are people that LA desperately needs actually.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:46 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
It'll be interesting to see how much things change when it comes to which one is considered more urban once the regional connector and the Purple Line extension have had a few years of operation. Large parts of LA are certainly more "walkable" than they were when this topic was first made, but it was still in many ways a far cry from the large expanse of SF that's like that.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:41 AM

Surprised Marin County and Greenwich, CT not up there.

Quote:

exceed $120,000

1 Washington DC
2 East Manhattan
3 San Jose
4 Boston
5 Oakland
6 Bridgeport
7 Newark
8 Chicago
9 North of Los Angeles
10 Long Island
11 West Manhattan
12 Trenton
13 Philadelphia
14 San Diego
15 South of Los Angeles

Old 02-17-2020, 12:09 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Surprised Marin County and Greenwich, CT not up there.
Greenwich is in the Bridgeport cluster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City