Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater LA or San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Los Angeles 105 44.30%
San Francisco Bay Area 132 55.70%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 04:33 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
LA has better beaches The closest the Bay Area has to an actual beach is Santa Cruz a few hours away.
Yes, and much better climate too...

LAX for me...no fan of SFO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 05:30 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
OK, but all that means is that there's more elitism and snobbish people in the Bay Area.
To be quite honest, those making $120k in DC, NY, Bay Area aren't even cracking the "snobbish" level. That level of income in many cases in those cities is pretty standard or upper-middle class.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:39 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Bay Area, and it isn't close. Heck, just the climate is so superior.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:42 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Of all the places I’ve lived (NY, Atlanta, SF, OC, SD, and Miami), by far the snootiest people I’ve encountered were from Newport Beach (OC)—not even close. People went out of their way to tell you how great they were (or, in the case of wannabes, how great they thought they were).

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
To be quite honest, those making $120k in DC, NY, Bay Area aren't even cracking the "snobbish" level. That level of income in many cases in those cities is pretty standard or upper-middle class.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:01 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Of all the places I’ve lived (NY, Atlanta, SF, OC, SD, and Miami), by far the snootiest people I’ve encountered were from Newport Beach (OC)—not even close. People went out of their way to tell you how great they were (or, in the case of wannabes, how great they thought they were).
Beverly Hills too lol.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:47 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
These are people that LA desperately needs actually.
LA has plenty of them. You always like to tout the exorbitant amount of wealth throughout the Bay Area as if that is constantly a plus to everyone. It's not. Not everyone wants to live among a ton of privileged wealthy people. LA does just fine in the wealth category, but it's more important to most people whether or not there are jobs to be had for everyone within reasonable commuting. Only in the Bay do you hear of service and government employees commuting 3+ hours each way from the Central Valley. Those same people may be struggling in LA, but not as much. And many are commuting now from the IE which should not be its own MSA. And the IE is not as far as a place like Stockton.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:23 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
LA has plenty of them.
No, LA needs a lot more after hundreds of thousands left.

Quote:
You always like to tout the exorbitant amount of wealth throughout the Bay Area...
No, I pointed out that these 2 areas attract 2 completely different kinds of transplants.

And that's true. Dont like it? So what, I dont care.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:34 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, LA needs a lot more after hundreds of thousands left.

No, I pointed out that these 2 areas attract 2 completely different kinds of transplants.

And that's true. Dont like it? So what, I dont care.
Why does LA need more wealthy people?

Old 02-18-2020, 09:58 AM

724 posts, read 560,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Yeah, plus taxes, $120,000 really isn't as much as people think it is. I know I lose 40%+ of my income to that. If someone is really that snobbish at that level, then more power to em.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:09 AM

37,150 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Why does LA need more wealthy people?
LA needs a lot more housing supply and better mass transit which would make it easier for people to be part of the middle class. It does not need more wealthy people. Having large numbers of its poor, working, and middle class be able to move on up is a lot better. LA seems to be doing more in terms of building denser housing and has more on the docket for mass transit expansion than the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City