Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater LA or San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Los Angeles 105 44.30%
San Francisco Bay Area 132 55.70%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 10:05 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Not sure what stretch you’re referring to. I am still talking about the suburbs, but if your own level of interest means you don’t care much for this or that and different sizes and qualities of things are just splitting hairs, then I’m not going to disagree with you on your own preferences. Like, what would be the difference between little league and major league anything if you aren’t interested in that particular “sport”? I understand that, but that also doesn’t mean that you not having an interest means no one has an interest.

Professional animators and artists are in large numbers in the LA area compared to the other metropolitan areas in the US. It makes sense given how much of the professional animation work and art market is in the area compared to other places. I’m not sure if there’s anything to be skeptical about in that sense. Certainly there’s a large number of software engineers in the Bay Area and that would make sense given the concentration of the tech sector in the Bay Area. I’d be surprised if the Bay Area somehow had a small number of software engineers relative to other US metropolitan areas.

Right, I agree that the urban core in Los Angeles is a lot less bustling and built out than one would expect from the second most populous metropolitan area in the US. Part of that comes with having suburbs or areas outside of downtown having their own distinctive scene going. That’s how I view the Bay Area versus Los Angeles comparison anyhow—the Bay Area has the greater and more expansive single “peak” with San Francisco, but it’s a small proportion of the population and area. Los Angeles has a lot of small local peaks, and while downtown and some of its adjacent and contiguous areas are the largest peak for the region, that doesn’t hit the same level as San Francisco proper. Meanwhile, the smaller local peaks among suburbs are better and more numerois in Los Angeles than they are in the Bay Area.
You're comparing SF to Pasadena. So no you weren't just talking about suburbs. It's not like I don't care but you're overstating the differences to hype up certain places.

In the context of LA I'm sure that's a somewhat important art festival. But overall it's really not going to be anything special to most people outside that industry which was my point.

Outside of the central LA area and the coast, which is a vast area, I don't agree at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 10:11 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer of Lies View Post
Which one do you prefer? Both these areas, while they are both in California, are also both relatively large metropolitan areas that could be compared.
I prefer LA because it's more of a contrast from NYC than SF is. If I were to move to California, I'd want to have a stereotypical "California" lifestyle (shorts and flip flops year round, sunshine, beaches, laid back vibe, etc.), and SF basically offers none of that.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:25 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
I’m not saying SF or its immediate surroundings will be like LA but weather wise it’s amazing how much of a difference just a few miles can make. I lived in Southern Marin (just across the Golden Gate, 15 minutes away) and it was not uncommon for there to be a 10-20 degree warmer difference in temperature vs. downtown SF. Ditto for the East Bay and South Bay...in Marin, Mt Tamalpais blocked out the fog making late March through late October comparable to SoCal warmer climate. Cooler and usually more rain from Nov - early March, however (though LA has its cool spells in the winter, not every day is a beach day, and one needs a wetsuit to go into the cold ocean, even further south). Marin is fairly artsy (home to musicians, and other creative types), more chill, and more outdoorsy than the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I prefer LA because it's more of a contrast from NYC than SF is. If I were to move to California, I'd want to have a stereotypical "California" lifestyle (shorts and flip flops year round, sunshine, beaches, laid back vibe, etc.), and SF basically offers none of that.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:27 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Yeah so aside from the insistence by the shallower, less fulfilled people who need temporary gratification all the time AKA "things to do", most adults consider things like livability and quality of schools.

Niche has interesting ranking on both:

Best Suburbs to Live in California 2019:
1 Berkeley
2 Santa Monica
3 Albany
4 Mountain View
5 Manhattan Beach
6 Palo Alto
7 Solana Beach
8 Irvine
9 Los Altos Hills
10 Hermosa Beach
11 West Menlo Park
12 Moraga
13 Piedmont
14 Los Altos
15 Davis
16 Monte Sereno
17 South Pasadena
18 Burlingame
19 La Cañada-Flintridge
20 San Carlos
21 San Ramon
22 Culver City
23 Beverly Hills
24 Los Gatos
25 Hillsborough
26 Foster City
27 Orinda
28 Redondo Beach
29 Encinitas
30 Saratoga
31 San Marino
32 Pleasanton
33 Corte Madera
34 Lafayette
35 Del Mar
36 Saranap
37 San Anselmo
38 Loyola
39 Sunnyvale
40 Palos Verdes Estates
41 Strawberry
42 Cupertino
43 Rolling Hills
44 Menlo Park
45 Newport Beach
46 Belmont
47 Aliso Viejo
48 Kentfield
49 Seal Beach
50 Walnut Creek

25 Best Schools in California 2020 & #National Rank
1 Oakland-The College Prepartory School#4
2 Los Angeles-Harvard-Westlake School#6
3 Palo Alto-Stanford High School#7
4 Palo Alto-Castilleja School#9
5 La Cañada Flintridge-Flintridge Prepatory School#16
6 Hillsborough-Crystal Springs Uplands School#19
7 Pasadena-Polytechnic School#23
8 Hillsborough-The Nueva School#24
9 Carpinteria-Cate School#26
10 Los Angeles-Marlborough School#27
11 Oakland-Head-Royce School#42
12 San Diego-The Bishop's School#43
13 San Jose-The Harker School#46
14 Pasadena-Westridge School#58
15 Ojai-The Thatcher School#61
16 Ross-The Branson School#67
17 Los Angeles-Windward School#69
18 San Francisco-University High School#71
19 San Jose-BASIS Independent#75
20 San Francisco-The Urban School#78
21 San Francisco-Lick-Wilderming High School#80
22 Portola Valley-Woodside Priory School#81
23 Dublin-The Quarry Lane School#82
24 Palo Alto-Henry M. Gunn High School(Public)
25 Atherton-The Menlo School#91

1. The Bay Area accounts for 31 of the top 50 suburbs to live in California. I am especially impressed by the East Bay that is often harangued by city and penninsula people for doing so well here, 6 border Oakland or a city that borders Oakland

2. 16 of the top 25 schools in the state are located in the Bay Area including the top public school. That shouldnt be the case considering how much larger SoCal is, but no, again the Bay Area overwhelms it's much larger counterpart.

That said, CA does well vs the rest of the country it seems, at least in this ranking.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:33 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, you tell me how it stacks up to downtown SF as an urban destination?

That's why if it werent for Staples, the only people that would go there are wholesale shoppers--the places feels largely seedy and all the amenities that should be there are all scattered around the westside, like shopping, like entertainment venues for regular people, not just noseringed tatooed people.

DTSF is beseiged by visitors from the surrounding areas and from out of town 12 months of the year by comparison.

Thanks for asking but why even ask?
As a DTLA resident I crack up when I read statements like this. Places like Santee Alley will always be a part of DTLA. I love it. But today national and international retailers are moving in. Apple Flagship, Theory, Paul Smith, Target, Whole Foods just to name a few. Downtown LA is still the largest employment center in the region and the fastest growing neighborhood in the city. New construction is still strong. I love it. These are exciting times downtown.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:37 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You're comparing SF to Pasadena. So no you weren't just talking about suburbs. It's not like I don't care but you're overstating the differences to hype up certain places.

In the context of LA I'm sure that's a somewhat important art festival. But overall it's really not going to be anything special to most people outside that industry which was my point.

Outside of the central LA area and the coast, which is a vast area, I don't agree at all.
I was going off of it all just being different sizes and qualities, same thing, which is still if not apples to apples at least fruits. What suburb would you like a comparison to instead? Palo Alto was mentioned before, but I pointed out what the differences are. Is there another suburb aside from Palo Alto that makes more sense to you? To be fair, of the municipalities of the Bay Area, I've only spent time in maybe ten of them with Palo Alto being one of those. I'm sure I've traversed more, but that shouldn't count. I am definitely more familiar with the municipalities of Los Angeles, so let me know if there's one that you think is really interesting to visit, because maybe I've never been to it or even know of it.

It’s okay if you think it’s not special. If you aren’t into it, you aren’t into it. The point is that its professionals working on it instead of local amateurs. If it’s not of interest to you, then it’s not of interest to you. This doesn’t mean others aren’t. And there are actually people interested in art that do not work in the arts themselves.

Yea, the central LA area and the coast are vast and populous, and about as populous as the ring around the bay in the Bay Area. That in and of itself would be an interesting comparison, but since the topic is inclusive of the entire Los Angeles region, the interior valleys are added, too. It’s fine if what those areas offer aren’t interesting to you, but for this topic, and I understand the viewpoint that the suburbs in general aren’t interesting, but the better ones in those valleys generally have more going on in terms of events and entertainment open to the general public than what the Bay Area outside of San Francisco has.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-03-2020 at 11:00 AM..

Old 03-03-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah so aside from the insistence by the shallower, less fulfilled people who need temporary gratification all the time AKA "things to do", most adults consider things like livability and quality of schools.

Niche has interesting ranking on both:

Best Suburbs to Live in California 2019:
1 Berkeley
2 Santa Monica
3 Albany
4 Mountain View
5 Manhattan Beach
6 Palo Alto
7 Solana Beach
8 Irvine
9 Los Altos Hills
10 Hermosa Beach
11 West Menlo Park
12 Moraga
13 Piedmont
14 Los Altos
15 Davis
16 Monte Sereno
17 South Pasadena
18 Burlingame
19 La Cañada-Flintridge
20 San Carlos
21 San Ramon
22 Culver City
23 Beverly Hills
24 Los Gatos
25 Hillsborough
26 Foster City
27 Orinda
28 Redondo Beach
29 Encinitas
30 Saratoga
31 San Marino
32 Pleasanton
33 Corte Madera
34 Lafayette
35 Del Mar
36 Saranap
37 San Anselmo
38 Loyola
39 Sunnyvale
40 Palos Verdes Estates
41 Strawberry
42 Cupertino
43 Rolling Hills
44 Menlo Park
45 Newport Beach
46 Belmont
47 Aliso Viejo
48 Kentfield
49 Seal Beach
50 Walnut Creek

25 Best Schools in California 2020 & #National Rank
1 Oakland-The College Prepartory School#4
2 Los Angeles-Harvard-Westlake School#6
3 Palo Alto-Stanford High School#7
4 Palo Alto-Castilleja School#9
5 La Cañada Flintridge-Flintridge Prepatory School#16
6 Hillsborough-Crystal Springs Uplands School#19
7 Pasadena-Polytechnic School#23
8 Hillsborough-The Nueva School#24
9 Carpinteria-Cate School#26
10 Los Angeles-Marlborough School#27
11 Oakland-Head-Royce School#42
12 San Diego-The Bishop's School#43
13 San Jose-The Harker School#46
14 Pasadena-Westridge School#58
15 Ojai-The Thatcher School#61
16 Ross-The Branson School#67
17 Los Angeles-Windward School#69
18 San Francisco-University High School#71
19 San Jose-BASIS Independent#75
20 San Francisco-The Urban School#78
21 San Francisco-Lick-Wilderming High School#80
22 Portola Valley-Woodside Priory School#81
23 Dublin-The Quarry Lane School#82
24 Palo Alto-Henry M. Gunn High School(Public)
25 Atherton-The Menlo School#91

1. The Bay Area accounts for 31 of the top 50 suburbs to live in California. I am especially impressed by the East Bay that is often harangued by city and penninsula people for doing so well here, 6 border Oakland or a city that borders Oakland

2. 16 of the top 25 schools in the state are located in the Bay Area including the top public school. That shouldnt be the case considering how much larger SoCal is, but no, again the Bay Area overwhelms it's much larger counterpart.

That said, CA does well vs the rest of the country it seems, at least in this ranking.
Oh yea, the Bay Area definitely has nice suburbs in the more traditional good school, little crime sense. I can totally believe that. It’s on average much wealthier of a place and that certainly contributes a bit to such and is pricey enough to price out lower income communities which often has a more difficult time tackling crime.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:44 AM

724 posts, read 560,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I’m not saying SF or its immediate surroundings will be like LA but weather wise it’s amazing how much of a difference just a few miles can make. I lived in Southern Marin (just across the Golden Gate, 15 minutes away) and it was not uncommon for there to be a 10-20 degree warmer difference in temperature vs. downtown SF. Ditto for the East Bay and South Bay...in Marin, Mt Tamalpais blocked out the fog making late March through late October comparable to SoCal warmer climate. Cooler and usually more rain from Nov - early March, however (though LA has its cool spells in the winter, not every day is a beach day, and one needs a wetsuit to go into the cold ocean, even further south). Marin is fairly artsy (home to musicians, and other creative types), more chill, and more outdoorsy than the city.
Man, how do I get your life? I know you're a bit older but you've lived in all these interesting places. I gotta work on that myself

I'm enjoying the sav858 and OyCrumbler exchange though. Not because of the information being given, but just because of the contrasting perspectives.

Last edited by Bubb Rubb; 03-03-2020 at 10:53 AM..

Old 03-03-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
As a DTLA resident I crack up when I read statements like this. Places like Santee Alley will always be a part of DTLA. I love it. But today national and international retailers are moving in. Apple Flagship, Theory, Paul Smith, Target, Whole Foods just to name a few. Downtown LA is still the largest employment center in the region and the fastest growing neighborhood in the city. New construction is still strong. I love it. These are exciting times downtown.

I don’t see nose rings, but they might be small or transparent nose rings, and you have no idea if those people have tattoos because they might be covered up by clothing.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Flip flops and sunshine, not so much beaches, are in the Bay Area due to the topography and the micro-climates that creates. San Francisco itself doesn’t have so much of that, but SF proper is a rather small portion of the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City