Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater LA or San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Los Angeles 105 44.30%
San Francisco Bay Area 132 55.70%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 12:49 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I think that really shows you limited your experience or knowledge is. Not saying the nightlife options outside those areas are anything special, they do exist though, but neither are places like Pasadena or Santa Ana. Some of the other places you listed are highly overrated for what they are such as Venice.
Okay, so what are the areas for nightlife in Bay Area suburbs that you think is actually better than in Pasadena or Santa Ana? I'm curious to know, because it's quite possible I've never been to the area or heard of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 12:50 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
But it's climate and natural setting are blah.
I'd actually strongly disagree on the climate part. We get crappy weather for 2-1/2 to 3 months, but we're not stuck in March for 10 months out of the year.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:51 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Are most people there content with not owning a home?

New York is expensive, but home ownership is achievable for many upper middle class families in the outer boroughs and definitely achievable in the suburbs. The Bay Area doesn't seem affordable anywhere. I imagine home ownership is out of reach for families with annual incomes that are less than $250,000. The median home price in the Bay Area is now $996,000, which is simply ridiculous. The median home price in Washington, DC (city proper) is around $650,000.

Home Prices | Vital Signs

For me to spend that much on a mortgage or rent, there has to be some huge advantage over living there over some other city. I personally don't see it. You can't even live in the suburbs cheaply there.

Having recently bought a place (about 3 year ago), owning kind blows. I'd be super content not owning in retrospect, though if I live 20 more years I'll probably be better off financially (though that doesn't mean happier). I've known more than a few people in their 40s and 50s selling places and deciding the like the renting lifestyle better.

I definitely see the appeal of living in SF. I see the appeal of Brooklyn as well.

LA, not so much.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:52 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Niche's diversity ranking is interesting.

100 Most Diverse Neighborhoods in America:
#1 Oakland, Upper Laurel
#4 Sacramento, Greenhaven
#5 San Leandro, Old San Leandro
#7 Sacramento, Valley-Hi/ North Laguna
#8 San Leandro, Broadmoor
#9 Oakland, Bella Vista
#11 Sacramento, Parkway
#12 Hayward, Southgate
#13 Hayward, Upper B Street
#16 San Leandro, Assumption Parish
#17 Oakland, Upper Peralta Creek/Bartlett
#18 San Leandro, Downtown
#21 Sacramento, Meadowview
#22 Sacramento, Sundance Lake
#23 Long Beach, Bixby Knolls
#24 San Leandro, Upper Bal
#25 Sacramento, Pocket
#26 Oakland, Upper Dimond
#28 Long Beach, Memorial Heights
#31 Oakland, Dimond
#39 Hayward, Mission/ Foothill
#40 Long Beach, California Heights
#41 San Diego, Eastern Area
#43 Oakland, Bartlett
#45 San Leandro, Estudillo Estates
#47 Long Beach, Zaferia
#52 Oakland, Paradise Park
#55 Hayward, North Hayward
#56 Torrance, Northwest Torrance
#57 Oakland, Reservoir Hill/Meadow Brook
#58 San Francisco, Bayview
#59 San Francisco, Bret Harte
#60 Oakland, Foothill Square
#62 Los Angeles, Mid-Wilshire
#63 Long Beach, Los Cerritos
#64 Long Beach, East Village
#66 Berkeley, South Berkeley
#67 Hayward, Hayward Highland
#77 Sacramento, Robla
#78 Santa Monica, Pico
#80 Sacramento, Glen Elder
#85 San Diego, Skyline-Paradise Hills
#86 Sacramento, Gateway West
#91 Oakland, Longfellow
#92 Sacramento, Regency Park
#94 Oakland, Allendale
#96 Sacramento, Village 12
#99 Oakland, School
#100 Oakland, School

49 of the 100 most diverse neighborhoods in America are in California. 25 are in the 510 area code.

Upper Laurel ranked #1 as the nation's most diverse neighborhood--is a middle class area of Oakland's Lower Hills
https://maps.app.goo.gl/nnMGGEcQQPYWNFD17

Old 03-03-2020, 12:53 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
I'd actually strongly disagree on the climate part. We get crappy weather for 2-1/2 to 3 months, but we're not stuck in March for 10 months out of the year.
I also disagree with natural settings. Islands, harbors, giant river going through highlands, beaches where you can swim in the water without freezing in the summer, multiple mountain ranges, fall colors, etc. Hiking trails you can get to by transit!

Old 03-03-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Sorry but compared to the Bay Area, HELL NAW.

Ive lived in NY, Summers are unbearable sweaty saunas, winters are an frozen icebox, NO THANKS. I dont think you know much about the weather here at all.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:58 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I also disagree with natural settings. Islands, harbors, giant river going through highlands, beaches where you can swim in the water without freezing in the summer, multiple mountain ranges, fall colors, etc. Hiking trails you can get to by transit!
Quote:
Yeah NYC's natural beauty is vastly underrated because there is so much city life as well.

As for weather, I prefer the 4 seasons in NYC. SF is chilly, windy, and/or foggy almost every day of the year. That's not enjoyable weather to most people.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:58 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I think that really shows you limited your experience or knowledge is. Not saying the nightlife options outside those areas are anything special, they do exist though, but neither are places like Pasadena or Santa Ana. Some of the other places you listed are highly overrated for what they are such as Venice.
So Venice is "highly overrated for what it is?" Its a beach community in Los Angeles city.

Anyone reading this in San Francisco right now? Looks like its sunny and 70 up there today. Go check out the beach communities of San Francisco city.

If you see more than 12 people walking around, please report back because I"d be very surprised.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Compared to the Bay Area, no sorry.

So just to reiterate:

1. The Bay Area destroys LA as far as urban environment.

2. The Bay Area eviscerates NY as far as climate and natural setting.

And that doesnt even include the other aspects of this area that separate the Bay Area from anywhere else in the country when you consider the total package.

So yeah.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:05 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sorry but compared to the Bay Area, HELL NAW.

Ive lived in NY, Summers are unbearable sweaty saunas, winters are an frozen icebox, NO THANKS. I dont think you know much about the weather here at all.
I know plenty about the weather in SF having lived there for 4 years. I hated it. The beaches were pointless. The constant fog and wind in the Avenues is miserable. There is no winter. There is no summer. There is only crappy early Spring weather and some random Fall heat waves. There were times I literally took Caltrain down to see friends in the Peninsula and SJ just to get some warm weather and I dreaded coming back and being greeted by Karl. Karl is one of my least favorite people.

I'll give you that summer heatwaves here are almost unbearable. But at least more of our apartments, businesses, bars, restaurants, and public transit are air conditioned. In SF, they're not. Plus, we have numerous usable beaches accessible by public transit. I also love that summer feels like summer, fall feels like fall, winter feels like winter, and spring feels like spring.

Bringing this back to SF v. LA, I still prefer the weather in LA even though it's milder and more predictable than the Bay. This may be surprising since I prefer seasons. But at least in LA, summer feels like summer. Winter is not winter in LA. In SF, though, summer is not summer and winter is not winter. Both are just some annoying middle ground in SF. It's also a main reason why I don't love the beach cities in LA, though. Too foggy in late spring/early summer. Not warm enough in summer. Don't cool down enough in winter. Because the ocean moderates the temperature more. I like that the inland basin around BH, WeHo, DTLA, etc. gets a real feel of summer even when the beaches are still like 72 degrees. I don't like having to wear a light jacket/sweater at night in the dead of summer. That's not summer to me. In SF, it's not even a light sweater. It's like a full windbreaker and layers or a light coat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City