Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater LA or San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Los Angeles 105 44.30%
San Francisco Bay Area 132 55.70%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 01:07 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Compared to the Bay Area, no sorry.

So just to reiterate:

1. The Bay Area destroys LA as far as urban environment.

2. The Bay Area eviscerates NY as far as climate and natural setting.

And that doesnt even include the other aspects of this area that separate the Bay Area from anywhere else in the country when you consider the total package.

So yeah.
Even if we agree to disagree, no amount of beautiful natural setting and perfect urbanism is worth dealing with such insufferable elitists like you on a daily basis in SF ever again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 01:11 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
So Venice is "highly overrated for what it is?" Its a beach community in Los Angeles city.

Anyone reading this in San Francisco right now? Looks like its sunny and 70 up there today. Go check out the beach communities of San Francisco city.

If you see more than 12 people walking around, please report back because I"d be very surprised.
Angelenos rarely go to the beach, stop pretending.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:17 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Compared to the Bay Area, no sorry.

So just to reiterate:

1. The Bay Area destroys LA as far as urban environment.

2. The Bay Area eviscerates NY as far as climate and natural setting.

And that doesnt even include the other aspects of this area that separate the Bay Area from anywhere else in the country when you consider the total package.

So yeah.
Just the urban area alone of Los Angeles is larger (by millions of people) and denser than the entire Bay Area CSA.

There isn't a single meaningful fact or statistic that can be presented to city data readers to illustrate your point (Here comes the part where we get told the Bay Area is better because everybody knows it is).

Old 03-03-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I think that really shows you limited your experience or knowledge is. Not saying the nightlife options outside those areas are anything special, they do exist though, but neither are places like Pasadena or Santa Ana. Some of the other places you listed are highly overrated for what they are such as Venice.
As others have said, what more suburban areas of SF provide high quality nightlife? Those two actually have some good nightlife believe it or not. And Santa Ana has the Yost Theater which hosts some touring artists. But I've never said they're the best. However, Santa Monica, Manhattan, Hermosa, LBC, Huntington, and some others actually have good nightlife and entertainment. The Bay is much more focused on high-end dining. Which is fine if that's what you prefer. But for those who prefer actual nightlife, LA is better since it has not only DTLA, Hwood, and WeHo, but some solid suburbs as well.

Also, Venice is not some nightclub hotspot. But it is good for bar hopping and late night dining on Abbot Kinney and Washington Blvd.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I've heard tourists sometimes hang around Venice Beach, I could be wrong about that one though.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Those who live by the beach do. Those who live by the beach in SF are just constantly cold and clouded in fog and it takes them forever to get anywhere because MUNI is a joke out there.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Those who live by the beach do. Those who live by the beach in SF are just constantly cold and clouded in fog and it takes them forever to get anywhere because MUNI is a joke out there.
The last time I went to SF I took Uber to their "Ocean Beach" on one of the warmest September days in Bay Area history. The driver seemed a little confused that I wanted to go there....I realized why when I got there. I saw THREE people at the actual beach, and there was almost no commercial district to support the beach area to speak of. It looked like random neighborhood in Bumblebee, Indiana that happened to have a beach.

Confused and feeling stupid because I took a trip to a deserted beach, I took the Muni back east. So much for venturing outside of San Francisco's designated tourist zones.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:43 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
The last time I went to SF I took Uber to their "Ocean Beach" on one of the warmest September days in Bay Area history. The driver seemed a little confused that I wanted to go there....I realized why when I got there. I saw THREE people at the actual beach, and there was almost no commercial district to support the beach area to speak of. It looked like random neighborhood in Bumblebee, Indiana that happened to have a beach.

Confused and feeling stupid because I took a trip to a deserted beach, I took the Muni back east. So much for venturing outside of San Francisco's designated tourist zones.
Omg that's how I felt the first time I set foot in Downtown LA.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:49 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Okay, so what are the areas for nightlife in Bay Area suburbs that you think is actually better than in Pasadena or Santa Ana? I'm curious to know, because it's quite possible I've never been to the area or heard of it.
I don't think there are. Nightlife in most suburbs is pretty similar. I was saying there are areas in the Bay Area like Walnut Creek that are like Pasadena or SA when it comes to nightlife.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Omg that's how I felt the first time I set foot in Downtown LA.
Haha wow we have a real comedian over here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City