Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater LA or San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Los Angeles 105 44.30%
San Francisco Bay Area 132 55.70%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 01:53 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Compared to the Bay Area, no sorry.

So just to reiterate:

1. The Bay Area destroys LA as far as urban environment.

2. The Bay Area eviscerates NY as far as climate and natural setting.

And that doesnt even include the other aspects of this area that separate the Bay Area from anywhere else in the country when you consider the total package.

So yeah.
I am fine with you having your own preferences. I prefer the climate of NYC to that of the Bay Area for the most part, and the natural settings of NYC and the Bay Area to that of LA. I think if it’s a relative comparison of the Bay Area “destroying” LA as far as urban environment, then we will need much, much stronger words for what NYC is to the Bay Area, as the greater LA area and the Bay Area are quite comparable to each other if the scale has NYC weighing in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't think there are. Nightlife in most suburbs is pretty similar. I was saying there are areas in the Bay Area like Walnut Creek that are like Pasadena or SA when it comes to nightlife.
I see. I have never been to Walnut Creek, so can’t comment. Is Walnut Creek much better in terms of nightlife and things to do compared to Palo Alto?

Old 03-03-2020, 01:56 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
So Venice is "highly overrated for what it is?" Its a beach community in Los Angeles city.

Anyone reading this in San Francisco right now? Looks like its sunny and 70 up there today. Go check out the beach communities of San Francisco city.

If you see more than 12 people walking around, please report back because I"d be very surprised.
Exactly and not some nightlife hot spot really worth mentioning.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:01 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I see. I have never been to Walnut Creek, so can’t comment. Is Walnut Creek much better in terms of nightlife and things to do compared to Palo Alto?
Not really

Old 03-03-2020, 02:01 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Walnut Creek has impressive nightlife for a suburb, so much so they make places close early. And it might be the cover band capital of Northern California, and has a few good karaoke spots.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:07 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
I’d be lying if I said I didn’t like LA. The good and the bad of it is that there’s more of everything. I’d also be lying if I said the Bay Area didn’t have gone field advantage for me.

I haven’t really experienced that much of LA’s climate, but I actually think I’d like it slightly better than the Bay Area, it’s probably warmer in the winter. Summer (I’m from the South Bay) didn’t feel that different. COL is a bit better in LA.

I wouldn’t be dissatisfied with living in LA, but the one thing it can’t offer is that feeling of home.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:11 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
The last time I went to SF I took Uber to their "Ocean Beach" on one of the warmest September days in Bay Area history. The driver seemed a little confused that I wanted to go there....I realized why when I got there. I saw THREE people at the actual beach, and there was almost no commercial district to support the beach area to speak of. It looked like random neighborhood in Bumblebee, Indiana that happened to have a beach.

Confused and feeling stupid because I took a trip to a deserted beach, I took the Muni back east. So much for venturing outside of San Francisco's designated tourist zones.

Why would you want commercial stuff along a beach? That would detract from it! I ran to that beach 12 mos of the year through the park, it was always in use. Beach areas should be protected from development. It's kind of the point!

Old 03-03-2020, 02:13 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Having recently bought a place (about 3 year ago), owning kind blows. I'd be super content not owning in retrospect, though if I live 20 more years I'll probably be better off financially (though that doesn't mean happier). I've known more than a few people in their 40s and 50s selling places and deciding the like the renting lifestyle better.
You must be loaded. Median home prices were in the 800s a few years ago. Of course, the median home is rarely what the typical educated professional has in mind. So with a median price of nearly 1M, the run of the mill white collar professional will be looking in neighborhoods (solid school districts and pleasant architecture) where the median price is in excess of that.

Quote:
I definitely see the appeal of living in SF. I see the appeal of Brooklyn as well.
It's not that I don't see the appeal. I just don't see how people can afford it.

Quote:
LA, not so much.
LA strikes me as a place where people don't take themselves as seriously. You've got nice weather, a strong artistic vibe and a lot of diversity and excellent food.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not really
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Walnut Creek has impressive nightlife for a suburb, so much so they make places close early. And it might be the cover band capital of Northern California, and has a few good karaoke spots.
Interesting having two different perspectives!

Pasadena has much more to do than Palo Alto in my experience whether nightlife, museums, or restaurants. If Walnut Creek is about the same as Palo Alto, then I'd probably skip it, but if it's actually much better, then maybe it's worth a look on my next trip. Cover band capital of Northern California sounds pretty fun. A friend of mine is in a (mostly) DK cover band and the crowd they get is pretty fun.

I think the closest comparison I can think of for Pasadena in the Bay Area is probably Berkeley, though there are some obvious differences. There are also some interesting similarities as hotbeds for the Arts and Crafts Movement in the US and American Craftsmen architectural work.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-03-2020 at 02:41 PM..

Old 03-03-2020, 02:50 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Why would you want commercial stuff along a beach? That would detract from it! I ran to that beach 12 mos of the year through the park, it was always in use. Beach areas should be protected from development. It's kind of the point!
A beach in a 19,000 ppsm city.

Maybe a cafe or bar I could sit at and watch the ocean? Not in San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City