Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater LA or San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Los Angeles 105 44.30%
San Francisco Bay Area 132 55.70%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 03:32 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
A beach in a 19,000 ppsm city.

Maybe a cafe or bar I could sit at and watch the ocean? Not in San Francisco.
I sit on the beach to watch the beach. I don't want stores ruining my shorelines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
The beach is really the domain of California, and its very hard to find a beach anywhere along the coast that doesn't have some kind of beachfront dining/drinking.....until you get to San Francisco
Sounds like SF did it right!

Old 03-03-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yet you can't actually use either for the purposes of being at a beach. The only real beach area in the Bay is Santa Cruz, and it's far and still too cold.
Too cold for? Huh? I am lost.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:41 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sounds like SF did it right!
To each their own I guess. I actually find a lot of SoCal beaches to be quite boring as well. I like a lot of East Coast beaches for being actual destinations with restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. to explore. A lot of West Coast beaches are just strips of sand with houses facing the ocean either on the sand, across a path, or across a highway. It's not very inviting as a destination. Relaxing, sure. But not a destination in the way I prefer.

Also, though, a main reason SF did it that way is because literally nobody uses the beaches there. It's too cold most of the year to even utilize a beach. The days it's warm enough on land, the water is still way too cold to go swimming in. So no, SF didn't do it right. SF just ignored its oceanfront areas because they're more or less useless the vast majority of the year. I guarantee if SF had SoCal weather, there would be development and some type of boardwalk there. But it would be a giant waste of money with SF's horrible weather. Now if there was a way to build a beach on the Bay that was sanitary enough for swimming, it would be a game changer for the region. Like Foster City maybe.

But a lot of the draw to CA is the weather. SF doesn't have the CA weather people think of. When I was living in SF, I knew a lot of people who had never visited the west coast. They had job or school offers in both SF and LA. The ones I met chose SF obviously since that's where we were. But many regretted the choice after realizing that SF weather sucks and there's no beach culture.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:45 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't know what you mean about the domain of California. There are definitely states that have pretty good and active beaches though there's not as much of an entertainment industry behind promoting such. Also, California is a long state with a long coastline, but there's also a lot of cool desert and mountains as well.

Even in Los Angeles, my favorite neighborhoods are mostly not the beachfront ones.

I actually wish the Los Angeles area saved just a bit more of the beach from development, but I wish that were the case for a lot of Los Angeles in general. Better they had built densely and had more natural space and public space. I'm really hoping some of the remaining large parcels without residential development become such and there are more freeway caps or straight out elimination of some freeway segments. Also, it'd be nice if more of the country clubs and golf courses became parks.
I mean exactly that.

The beaches in California are public.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:46 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Too cold for? Huh? I am lost.
Santa Cruz water temperatures are too cold for enjoyment.
https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/all_meanT.html

Old 03-03-2020, 03:48 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
A Cincinnati-level city, as in Cincinnati, prior to the highways and urban renewal leveling a ton of neighborhoods was one of the most bustling cities in the US. I can see some similarities between that Cincinnati and San Francisco.
Right, and I didn't even really mean that as a slight.

The problem is that SF boosters have an inferiority complex and need to have NYC and Chicago comparisons made for validation.

Its a Pittsburgh/Cincy/St. Louis style city and there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
To each their own I guess. I actually find a lot of SoCal beaches to be quite boring as well. I like a lot of East Coast beaches for being actual destinations with restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. to explore. A lot of West Coast beaches are just strips of sand with houses facing the ocean either on the sand, across a path, or across a highway. It's not very inviting as a destination. Relaxing, sure. But not a destination in the way I prefer.

Also, though, a main reason SF did it that way is because literally nobody uses the beaches there. It's too cold most of the year to even utilize a beach. The days it's warm enough on land, the water is still way too cold to go swimming in. So no, SF didn't do it right. SF just ignored its oceanfront areas because they're more or less useless the vast majority of the year. I guarantee if SF had SoCal weather, there would be development and some type of boardwalk there. But it would be a giant waste of money with SF's horrible weather. Now if there was a way to build a beach on the Bay that was sanitary enough for swimming, it would be a game changer for the region. Like Foster City maybe.

But a lot of the draw to CA is the weather. SF doesn't have the CA weather people think of. When I was living in SF, I knew a lot of people who had never visited the west coast. They had job or school offers in both SF and LA. The ones I met chose SF obviously since that's where we were. But many regretted the choice after realizing that SF weather sucks and there's no beach culture.
Well, I just don't agree with any of this. I was at that beach mentioned almost daily year round, it was on my running route, through the park, past the bison, etc... there were always people there. And the greatest appeal to SF to me to live in, which sadly I only did briefly, is the weather. It is pretty much a perfect climate.

I am very thankful Nor Cal preserved its coastlines and didn't develop them. Ever been to San Diego? They decimated them. Gross.

No idea what you mean by not usuable, either. We are talking different languages.

And one thing I really like about the coast line of Rhode Island is that they protected much of this shore line from crap. No abundant strips, or slushee vendors, or tshirt shops, or other commercial crud to ruin it. Beaches aren't for shopping, they're for beach outside in fresh air, with sounds of surf and shorebirds.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:06 PM

37,129 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
I mean exactly that.

The beaches in California are public.
Oh, I see. Yes, it's supposed to be that way. The beaches in San Francisco are still public domain. That being said, I'm still not in favor of development for the most part. I prefer they are either very densely developed and bustling or that they are large expanses of nature with much more of the latter than the former. San Francisco's isn't a large expanse of nature, but desolate enough that it's close though still not quite right. I think the main thing with San Francisco's beaches though, and why it doesn't really fit an urban beach is that it's nowhere near the more bustling neighborhoods and the weather and waters are too cold for most. At the same time, they're also just a strip rather than going inland for a bit so it's not that nature-y. They're a decent walk though I dislike the highway near it.

For LA, I wish they had not developed the Palos Verdes peninsula for the most part. San Pedro makes sense as it was an older community and near the ports, but the rest of it should have been left alone. That and the eastern third of so of Newport Beach including and to the east of Buck Gully. Like, who were these ****ty philistines who saw the mountains meeting the ocean in an earthquake-prone region and thought, "oh what a perfect place to build ****ty nondescript cul-de-sacs over everything!"

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-03-2020 at 04:27 PM..

Old 03-03-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Santa Cruz water temperatures are too cold for enjoyment.
https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/all_meanT.html
For you maybe. But I do swims near round in New England, so it never bothered me. Heck, we had swimming in the NEK of VT last weekend. And there are no shortage of people enjoying the water in SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City