Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater LA or San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Los Angeles 105 44.30%
San Francisco Bay Area 132 55.70%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 04:13 PM

8,492 posts, read 4,738,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
The problem is that SF boosters have an inferiority complex and need to have NYC and Chicago comparisons made for validation.
Not really. I never cared enough for or about the east coast cities to make a silly comparison like that. And although Chicago is one of my fav places on earth, Chicago’s a different enough animal that I think it’s an apples and oranges comparison anyway.

Maybe my problem is that I’m more of a Bay Area booster than a specific SF booster, doe. If I were more of an urbanite, I might see it a bit differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 04:16 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
For you maybe. But I do swims near round in New England, so it never bothered me. Heck, we had swimming in the NEK of VT last weekend. And there are no shortage of people enjoying the water in SF.
I mean there factually is a shortage of people enjoying the waters of SF. They are not beaches that are regularly frequented the same way they are in SoCal. I guess if you go in water in New England in winter, yeah SF isn't cold. But for the vast majority of people, the purpose of going to a beach is to relax in the warm weather and take a dip or two in the ocean. That's not possible in SF, except for maybe 1 week out of the year. And Santa Cruz is slightly better, but it's still not as warm as SoCal beaches. That's a fact. Most people are going to prefer the warmer waters of SoCal if they actually enjoy beaches the same way most people do.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:22 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I mean there factually is a shortage of people enjoying the waters of SF. They are not beaches that are regularly frequented the same way they are in SoCal. I guess if you go in water in New England in winter, yeah SF isn't cold. But for the vast majority of people, the purpose of going to a beach is to relax in the warm weather and take a dip or two in the ocean. That's not possible in SF, except for maybe 1 week out of the year. And Santa Cruz is slightly better, but it's still not as warm as SoCal beaches. That's a fact. Most people are going to prefer the warmer waters of SoCal if they actually enjoy beaches the same way most people do.
SoCal is too hot. Its routinely 90 degrees plus! That's not weather I'd want to live in, and it certainly would discourage outside enjoyment. Even in New England, August is one of the crummiest times to be outside (have to wait til sun drops), but yeah, grilling on the beach at night is fun.

Best time for the coastlines though tends to be winter in Northern North America, its when we get the bulk of our shorebirds visiting, and seaducks.

Each to their own, but if what you want is a mall on a beach and hordes of crowds. Welll, that sounds completely antithetical to actually enjoying being outside to me.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Not really. I never cared enough for or about the east coast cities to make a silly comparison like that. And although Chicago is one of my fav places on earth, Chicago’s a different enough animal that I think it’s an apples and oranges comparison anyway.

Maybe my problem is that I’m more of a Bay Area booster than a specific SF booster, doe. If I were more of an urbanite, I might see it a bit differently.
Agreed. They're nothing alike. I liked living in both. Chicago has a huge advantage in affordability. SF has a huge advantage in climate, but does over almost everywhere.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Well, I just don't agree with any of this. I was at that beach mentioned almost daily year round, it was on my running route, through the park, past the bison, etc... there were always people there. And the greatest appeal to SF to me to live in, which sadly I only did briefly, is the weather. It is pretty much a perfect climate.

I am very thankful Nor Cal preserved its coastlines and didn't develop them. Ever been to San Diego? They decimated them. Gross.

No idea what you mean by not usuable, either. We are talking different languages.

And one thing I really like about the coast line of Rhode Island is that they protected much of this shore line from crap. No abundant strips, or slushee vendors, or tshirt shops, or other commercial crud to ruin it. Beaches aren't for shopping, they're for beach outside in fresh air, with sounds of surf and shorebirds.
This is why we're going to need to agree to disagree. I absolutely hate the weather in SF. The Bay Area has fine weather. Not my favorite, still. But SF itself has terrible weather and the Avenues are the worst of the worst. The only place worse is Pacifica.

There may have been people at the beach, but were they out in their bathing suits playing in the water most days? Did people come out with their beach chairs and umbrella for a nice, relaxing, warm day of sunbathing? Maybe a few days per year, but mostly no, they didn't.

I love SD beaches. Again. We need to agree to disagree. I like beaches with amenities. I like a fun and lively beachfront with restaurants, bars, shops, a boardwalk, etc. I don't like a desolate beach with nothing going on.

The beaches of NorCal are mostly unusable. The majority are far too cold usually. And many are quite polluted. And IIRC, Crissy Field and OB/Baker Beach have some serious rip tides.
https://thebolditalic.com/don-t-go-s...o-dfc95dec52fb
https://www.parksconservancy.org/par...rs-ocean-beach
https://www.inside-guide-to-san-fran...francisco.html

Old 03-03-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
SoCal is too hot. Its routinely 90 degrees plus! That's not weather I'd want to live in, and it certainly would discourage outside enjoyment. Even in New England, August is one of the crummiest times to be outside (have to wait til sun drops), but yeah, grilling on the beach at night is fun.

Best time for the coastlines though tends to be winter in Northern North America, its when we get the bulk of our shorebirds visiting, and seaducks.

Each to their own, but if what you want is a mall on a beach and hordes of crowds. Welll, that sounds completely antithetical to actually enjoying being outside to me.
Inland is 90+, yes. But at the beach, even during a heatwave, it's usually always below 85. Average days are like 68-76 in summer. Nights cool down quite a bit too. For the vast majority of people, warm summer weather equates with better beach weather. Like, you're definitely in the minority on this. People go to the beach when it's warm, not when it's cold. That's your opinion, but the majority of people would disagree with you.

I don't want a mall on a beach. I just enjoy places like Hermosa Beach, Old Orchard Beach ME, Asbury Park NJ, Atlantic City, Point Pleasant NJ, etc. I also love the Mediterranean for this, because most cities on the sea have excellent waterfront streets with shops, dining, nightlife, etc. One of my favorites was Makarska, Croatia. I love some of the beaches in Spain and Italy for having the bars and restaurants on the sand as well. I'm really looking forward to visiting Malaga next year hopefully for that reason. I'm not a huge fan of Barcelona, but I get the draw for the same reason. I'd love to spend a week in Rimini.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
This is why we're going to need to agree to disagree. I absolutely hate the weather in SF. The Bay Area has fine weather. Not my favorite, still. But SF itself has terrible weather and the Avenues are the worst of the worst. The only place worse is Pacifica.

There may have been people at the beach, but were they out in their bathing suits playing in the water most days? Did people come out with their beach chairs and umbrella for a nice, relaxing, warm day of sunbathing? Maybe a few days per year, but mostly no, they didn't.

I love SD beaches. Again. We need to agree to disagree. I like beaches with amenities. I like a fun and lively beachfront with restaurants, bars, shops, a boardwalk, etc. I don't like a desolate beach with nothing going on.

The beaches of NorCal are mostly unusable. The majority are far too cold usually. And many are quite polluted. And IIRC, Crissy Field and OB/Baker Beach have some serious rip tides.
https://thebolditalic.com/don-t-go-s...o-dfc95dec52fb
https://www.parksconservancy.org/par...rs-ocean-beach
https://www.inside-guide-to-san-fran...francisco.html

I like fun too, but beaches are for being with nature, and consumerism isn't "fun". And unsuable? Have you ever explored the coastline of Northern California? Say, near Arcata? Absolutely teaming with life. Heck, even Pt Reyes is fantastic, its hard to get more fun than there.

And yes, near year round people were out relaxing, boogie boarding, frolicking in the surf, playing with their kids and dogs, utlimate frisbee, etc. Not sunbathing so much, but hopefully because they're smart enough not to do so. I can't believe people still "sunbath"... not very bright even with suncreen, and incredibly dull.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:56 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
SoCal is too hot. Its routinely 90 degrees plus!
LA had 3 days last July where the temperature exceeded 89 degrees. Only 8 days where the temperature exceeded 85 degrees.

July 2018 - 14 days above 85
July 2017 - 8 days above 85
July 2016 - 9 days above 85
July 2015 - 2 days above 85
July 2014 - 9 days above 85

Compare that to Atlanta last July when the high temperature hit 90 degrees or higher on a whopping 25 days. That is "routinely 90 degrees plus." Los Angeles only hits that a few times a year and it's typically towards the end of July/early August. Even in July 2018 when record highs were set, the mercury only went above 89 degrees nine times.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I like fun too, but beaches are for being with nature, and consumerism isn't "fun". And unsuable? Have you ever explored the coastline of Northern California? Say, near Arcata? Absolutely teaming with life. Heck, even Pt Reyes is fantastic, its hard to get more fun than there.

And yes, near year round people were out relaxing, boogie boarding, frolicking in the surf, playing with their kids and dogs, utlimate frisbee, etc. Not sunbathing so much, but hopefully because they're smart enough not to do so. I can't believe people still "sunbath"... not very bright even with suncreen, and incredibly dull.
Clearly we have entirely different priorities when it comes to beach usage. And this is why some are going to prefer the beaches of NorCal. But I'd bed most people would agree on my preference for beach usage.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:57 PM

8,492 posts, read 4,738,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
LA had 3 days last July where the temperature exceeded 89 degrees. Only 8 days where the temperature exceeded 85 degrees.

2018 - 14 days above 85
2017 - 8 days above 85
2016 - 9 days above 85
2015 - 2 days above 85
2014 - 9 days above 85

Compare that to Atlanta last July when the high temperature hit 90 degrees or higher on a whopping 25 days. That is "routinely 90 degrees plus." Los Angeles only hits that a few times a year and it's typically towards the end of July/early August. Even in July 2018 when record highs were set, the mercury only went above 89 degrees nine times.
That surprises me. San Jose was at least that warm back when I was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City