Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater LA or San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Los Angeles 105 44.30%
San Francisco Bay Area 132 55.70%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 06:10 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Those special event pics remind me of another observation. Dress. People in SF dress up more these days imo.

In 2015 and 2017 I went to the LA Philharmonic Gala at Walt Disney Concert Hall(which is stunning btw)and I definitely noticed the patrons were almost casually dressed compared to the socialites up north at the Symphony Galas I go to every year. It was like night and day.

Also, the area around the concert hall was totally dead with not a single pedestrian in sight, it was almost eerie how right after you left the red carpet--crickets.

I think its just because of how Walt Disney and Chandler Pavillion are on like a hill, plus the really wide streets in that part of downtown is just really pedestrian unfriendly.
Actually the Music Center Plaza just re-opened after a multi million dollar renovation. New permanent restaurants are there now. The large sculpture was moved to the far west side of the plaza to make the plaza more pedestrian friendly along with making the floor 1 level. Grand Park across the street has been quite successful since it opened in 2014. Disney Hall is iconic so visitors by the thousands flock to see it. Across from Disney is the billion dollar Frank Gehry Grand project. When completed in early 2021 it will have a hotel, shops, restaurants, 400 apts, seating areas and water features. The Museum Of Contemporary Art next door is now free to the public and will start an expansion. Wells Fargo Plaza has the new plaza with restaurants in a new indoor outdoor plaza. The new light rail station opens in a little over a year behind the Broad, which has been a hit since its opening All along Grand Avenue this is really turning out to be the best cultural center on the west coast. So much has changed since 2017.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 06:14 PM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Actually the Music Center Plaza just re-opened after a multi million dollar renovation. New permanent restaurants are there now. The large sculpture was moved to the far west side of the plaza to make the plaza more pedestrian friendly along with making the floor 1 level. Grand Park across the street has been quite successful since it opened in 2014. Disney Hall is iconic so visitors by the thousands flock to see it. Across from Disney is the billion dollar Frank Gehry Grand project. When completed in early 2021 it will have a hotel, shops, restaurants, 400 apts, seating areas and water features. The Museum Of Contemporary Art next door is now free to the public and will start an expansion. Wells Fargo Plaza has the new plaza with restaurants in a new indoor outdoor plaza. The new light rail station opens in a little over a year behind the Broad, which has been a hit since its opening All along Grand Avenue this is really turning out to be the best cultural center on the west coast. So much has changed since 2017.
That regional connector still on track for 2022? I feel like that and the Purple Line extension are going to radically improve downtown LA which has already been making rapid improvements. How about that freeway cap park? Has that gotten anywhere past a vague proposal?

Old 03-03-2020, 07:03 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I prefer LA because it's more of a contrast from NYC than SF is. If I were to move to California, I'd want to have a stereotypical "California" lifestyle (shorts and flip flops year round, sunshine, beaches, laid back vibe, etc.), and SF basically offers none of that.
SF doesn't even have natives. The city is made up of transplants. LA is majority native. Which is why the CA culture survives, even with changing demographics.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:05 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not even that normal in New York.

July 2019 - 17 days above 85
July 2018 - 11 days above 85
July 2017 - 9 days above 85
July 2016 - 16 days above 85
July 2015 - 12 days above 85
July 2014 - 5 days above 85

I've realized that people have very bad recollections when it comes to weather. This is even after accounting for heat index. I think people have a tendency to remember a few really hot days in any given summer and then extrapolate those hot days over the entire summer. So you may have 3 days in a row of 97, 98 and 100, and those three days cloud out any memory of the 20 days where the temperature barely cracked 80. Just human nature, I suppose.
I think it's because my bday the past couple years in NYC has had extreme heat warnings with heat indexes over 100 for at least one of them lol. I'll always remember that. But yes, it's not super normal in NYC, but the same temperatures that are pretty normal in NYC--especially when considering heat index--trigger heat wave warnings in LA. And they're death in SF basically lol.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
SF doesn't even have natives. The city is made up of transplants. LA is majority native. Which is why the CA culture survives, even with changing demographics.
Is LA really majority native? LA proper is about 40% foreign born and about 1% Puerto Rico. That leaves about 9% “room” left for transplants and I would be extremely surprised if LA’s population was only 9% transplant given the draw it has from the rest of the country.

I can see LA having a larger sheer number of CA natives though, since it’s a lot more populous than SF.

Also, SF definitely has CA natives. About 37% in the last official census and about 36% foreign-born residents. There’s been a large population boom and a large amount of gentrification, but I can’t see that being absolutely decimated in such a short amount of time.

Old 03-04-2020, 12:16 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
SF leads the annual Milken Institute's ranking of the nation's top performing metro area economies.

SF is booming in professional services, design services, global finance and global commerce.

SJ and Oakland also make the Top 25, the Inland Empire ties for 25th with Salt Lake City.

The OC came in at 46th and LA ranked 53rd.

And look at Reno, fast becoming a Bay Area suburb, 4th

Old 03-04-2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
SF leads the annual Milken Institute's ranking of the nation's top performing metro area economies.

SF is booming in professional services, design services, global finance and global commerce.

SJ and Oakland also make the Top 25, the Inland Empire ties for 25th with Salt Lake City.

That’s true, two years ago I was going to move to Provo, but now I’m moving to SF. However, I’m worried that I’ll have to move again in the next couple years. It’s a hard life following these charts, but someone needs to do it.

Old 03-04-2020, 08:25 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
Quote:

You mean top performing high-tech economy which is what the study is measuring. It also does not take into account the cost of doing business, the cost of living, quality of life, etc.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
You mean top performing high-tech economy which is what the study is measuring.
What is "high tech"?

Tesla is an automaker, Airbnb is a referral service, Uber is a ride sharing company, Netflix is now a major film studio, Apple is a major telecom company now, Paypal is a money transfer company, and so forth.

Tech is in every industry now, "bigly", not just building laptops and software programs.

You guys cant keep using "tech" as some reason to simultaneously downplay the Bay Area's success and excuse your comparative weak performance.

Quote:
It also does not take into account the cost of doing business, the cost of living, quality of life, etc.
LA is no bargain at all, in fact it's less affordable then here based on income vs COL. Lol.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:32 AM

Another interesting stat.

2018 Metro Areas by the Percent of the Population in Racially and Economically Diverse & Inclusive Neighborhoods.

http://cityobservatory.org/wp-conten...MIN_Report.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City