Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wich city is better ?
Washington D.C. 129 48.86%
Philadelphia 135 51.14%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 12:23 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post

So when are you leaving?
Haha, be nice . I think that poster is very young and here with their parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 12:29 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Philly has a better skyline and is more urban. But that's where it ends. I lived in the DC Area for 3 years and much prefer it to here. I've tried to like Philly, I really have. And some places here are nice, but the people are ratchet and unsophisticated, and this place is largely a ****hole. Washington DC has much more class (no, not "clayss" as Philadelphians tend to say).
I think that's pretty unfair and frankly insulting. You have a right to your opinion (and mine happens to be the opposite of yours given my experience in both areas, although I won't digress with explaining that), but I think you have to consider the pretty different demographics in both cities proper. At the city level, DC, as the nation's capital, is clearly more educated, affluent and international--but that's to be expected. Honestly, it's pretty hard to go up against the purportedly most educated and affluent metro in the US.

On the metro level, it's very different though, as the Philly region performs much better in terms of affluence, educational attainment, and "sophistication."

So, it comes down to core socioeconomic demographics--a capital city with a built-in white-collar base versus a much larger, post-industrial city that has really had to work double-time to improve its underlying economic structure while simultaneously having to dedicate much more services to a greater proportion of people in poverty.

At the very least, Philly's urban core demographics are indeed improving, which will definitely benefit the city in the long-run.

Last edited by Duderino; 11-12-2014 at 12:39 PM..

Old 11-12-2014, 12:35 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
As far as the type of people goes (education, affluence, etc.), it's always nice to have a happy medium. On one end of the spectrum, you have Cleveland where a very, very low percentage of non-Hispanic Whites have attained a college degree. That's definitely not good for a city. On the other end of the spectrum, you have Washington, DC where 90% of Whites have attained a college degree. I guess the latter is preferable to the former, but that type of homogeneity doesn't exactly make for an interesting city either.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:39 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think that's a bit unfair and frankly insulting. You have a right to your opinion (and mine happens to be the opposite of yours given my experience in both areas, although I won't digress with explaining that), but I think you have to consider the pretty different demographics in both cities proper. At the city level, DC, as the nation's capital, is clearly more educated, affluent and international--but that's to be expected.

On the metro level, it's very different though, as the Philly region performs much better in terms of affluence, educational attainment, and "sophistication."

So, it comes down to core socioeconomic demographics--a capital city with a built-in white-collar base versus a much larger, post-industrial city that has really had to work double-time to improve its underlying economic structure while simultaneously having to dedicate much more services to a greater proportion of people in poverty.

At the very least, Philly's urban core demographics are indeed improving, which will definitely benefit the city in the long-run.
As a metro area DC out performs Philadelphia in affluence and education. Bethesda which is in the DC metro area is the most educated city and DC has more wealthier suburbs. So your statement is very very very wrong and false in every way possible.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
As a metro area DC out performs Philadelphia in affluence and education. Bethesda which is in the DC metro area is the most educated city and DC has more wealthier suburbs. So your statement is very very very wrong and false in every way possible.
I think he meant that the suburbs outperform the city.

But what does it matter? Philly is cooler.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:47 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Exactly what nephi215 just said. You disagree with my post, but it is in no way wrong.

-Center City has better shopping than Dowontown D.C... And KOP is better than any mall in the DC area.

-DC transit is better, but also has TWICE the funding that SEPTA has

-Philly is severely underrated for biking. There are a ton of massive parks and big trails within city limits like Fairmount and Schuylkill River trail. DC has no comparison to the Wissahickon in Northwest Philadelphia. On top of that, practically every street in the core of philadelphia now has bike lanes or is bike friendly. Drivers are also much more aware of bikers in Philadelphia.

-Both Philadelphia and DC have extremely wealthy suburbs. You can't really say one is so much wealthier than the other.

-Schools in the philadelphia area, on average, are better than those in DC area

-Philadelphia has a huge selection of walkable cities and towns surrounding it, just like DC. Plus, Philadelphia itself is larger and more walkable than DC

-Center City is a better a Downtown than DC. Everyone agrees with this except DC posters

-Nightlife in Philadelphia is better than DC. DC is mostly go-go and high end social clubs. Philadelphia has real nightlife. Crazy clubs, sports bars, pubs. A place you go to dance the night away until 4am. Also, DC has no answer for Atlantic City.

-Entertianment can be subjective. They both have superb museums, theater, orchestra, etc.

Downtown D.C. has highend shopping. Center City does not. Between downtown DC and Georgetown, D.C. has better shopping than Philly.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think he meant that the suburbs outperform the city.

But what does it matter? Philly is cooler.
That's an opinion not a fact

Old 11-12-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Downtown D.C. has highend shopping. Center City does not.
So does that mean we'll start seeing people in Downtown DC wearing something other than....

Blue shirt/black slacks combination
Blue shirt/khakis combination
White shirt/black slacks combination
White shirt/khakis combination
Blue shirt/black skirt combination
Blue shirt/khakis skirt combination
White shirt/black skirt/black sweater with pearls combination
Grey Hillary Clinton pants suit/blue shirt and pearls combination

???

Old 11-12-2014, 12:53 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
You misunderstand. I wasn't saying "performs much better" in the sense of being better than DC; I meant in terms of looking at Philadelphia-only versus the Philadelphia region.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Downtown D.C. has highend shopping. Center City does not. Between downtown DC and Georgetown, D.C. has better shopping than Philly.
Like I said some of his statements were completely false and were very exaggerated. Funny how he claimed someone was being very biased then follows it with and abuserd and false argument.

Mall of America: 4.8 million sq. ft. (current size) it will double in size once phase 2 is completed.
King of Prussia: 2.4 million square feet of retail space
Tyson's Corner: 2.4 million square feet of retail space

So his statement about nothing in the DC area can compete with KOP was sadly false. Hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City