Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 07:17 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Determining a rank based on "buzz words" placed on blogs? I can't think of anything more arbitrary. .
No, they check the usage of all the buzz words, the context and meaning of each based on use. You can email them and they'll probably follow up on the methodology, from a practical point of view, it's pretty solid. You have the director of fashion from every single city that works with this think-tank to compromise the results. They've done it 11 years straight and are the most cited fashion think-tank in history by both local and foreign press, one of thousands of examples being the link StuddedLeather posted from Europe.
Quote:
According to new research released today by the Global Language Monitor, an Austin-based data-research company that catalogs trends in word usage, New York is the reigning fashion capital of the world.

Over the course of three years the Global Language Monitor tracked 250,000 blogs, print outlets, and social media channels, looking for buzzwords associated with haute couture, ready-to-wear, and fashion.

It then looked at the frequency and contextual usage of the words, creating a set of data able to rank global fashion cities.

New York City, therefore, showed up more than Paris or London in relation to words like fashion, fashionable, best designers, street style
-- but it was a narrow win: New York City bet Paris by 0.5per cent.
They check the usage of each buzz. It's not like Cathy goes on Twitter and says "my brother Tommy from New York made me a bracelet" and that's a factor all of a sudden that helped New York reign supreme. They actually take an entire year, compile and check the usage and context and hype surrounding each city's fashion industry. Which is why they work closely with the top fashion directors from each city, for more assistance.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 02-20-2014 at 07:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 08:07 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
No, they check the usage of all the buzz words, the context and meaning of each based on use. You can email them and they'll probably follow up on the methodology, from a practical point of view, it's pretty solid. You have the director of fashion from every single city that works with this think-tank to compromise the results. They've done it 11 years straight and are the most cited fashion think-tank in history by both local and foreign press, one of thousands of examples being the link StuddedLeather posted from Europe.
I'm not suggesting that the methodology isn't accurate in what it's trying to measure, but I disagree with the premise that a city becomes a "fashion capital" based on press/internet presence. In other words, there's nothing tangible factored in.

You could use the blog buzz word methodology as ONE factor, but it should also include things like consumer sales, number of designers, proportion of fashion industry as part of overall economy, etc. Basically, it just seems very limited in scope.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:30 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I'm not suggesting that the methodology isn't accurate in what it's trying to measure, but I disagree with the premise that a city becomes a "fashion capital" based on press/internet presence. In other words, there's nothing tangible factored in.

You could use the blog buzz word methodology as ONE factor, but it should also include things like consumer sales, number of designers, proportion of fashion industry as part of overall economy, etc. Basically, it just seems very limited in scope.
I hear you.

I think you just view fashion as an industry more importantly versus how I view fashion as a trend more importantly.

To me, Global Language Monitor has it right, see the credit tags for several of these cities. Things like "Atlanta has established herself as the capital of fashion for the New South", is exactly what Atlanta's fashion industry has produced. Atlanta's not New York and Los Angeles, it's not a global theme setter like the two megacities, it's a regional one. Influence over Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, Kentucky, and Northern Florida. I have two friends, that I went to college with, that didn't think they could handle Los Angeles or New York but moved to Atlanta to work in the fashion industry. By all accounts of the imagination, they've thrived.

You have to look at it in the context they were painting. There's nearly 60 cities on each of their annual lists. Not all of them, perhaps after the first 15-20 cities, none of them are global fashion capitals and Global Language Monitor does it's well intentions to point out regional dominant centers versus global trendsetter places. Spheres of influence.

You're right, from a capitalist and power point of view, saying anything other than New York and Los Angeles in America is significant is baseless. New York is where the industry really makes it's bank, followed by Los Angeles. However, as places of influence, which if you search up their scenes, they actually do, over their local regions. I'd say this list is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City