Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best one for this?
Toronto 2 13.33%
Chicago 1 6.67%
Miami 9 60.00%
New York 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 05:02 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times

Advertisements

I know about Ultra but it's not all year. Meaning if I have something planned concurrent with it, too bad. Such a shame.

This threads for personal gain, for myself actually and these are four places I enjoy quite a lot. I've lived in Chicago and have an idea but don't know how it would relate to the others, since I've never lived in the others. By electronic, I mean everything within the genres of trance, house, dubstep, techno, electronica, electronic instrumental, so on. I like different things, pretty broad and of nearly every quality.

To start off with some basic questions.

Is there is a good presence of local talent/DJ's for this field of music? What are some of the best known artists for this sort of music from these cities (I know about Deadmau5 for Toronto)?

How often are events, concerts, or raves for this sort of thing? How many well known or established venues for such? What about the level of liveliness and quality of alcoholic beverages at these events? Possible bring your own stuff sort of events?

In addition, which style is best in each respective city? Something like a weekend long forest rave, where tents, sleeping bags, and such are necessary? Or is it like a concert or indoor rave in a large venue? Perhaps in some boutique shop sized place?

Also while I'm not an advocate for this sort of thing, as I think this is best left to each person for themselves, what quality could one expect from the "intoxications" (E or W) in these cities? You don't have to answer this if you don't want to. I know about Chicago and Miami already, I think I'm content but how about Toronto and New York? Is it being used often in these events?

Thanks. I would like to enjoy a very big city, bright lights, or just incredible electronic event this year. I figured I ask about these cities (wanted to include Dallas and Vancouver too but too much for one thread), since they're amongst the ones I look forward to seeing the most.

As for examples of the type of artists, DJ's/mixers, or styles I like (if you can, could you point out your towns similar artists?).

Lusine,

Andrew Bayer,

Xilent,

Nujabes/Five Deez,

Oliver Smith,

Nomak,

Burial,

Andy Moor

Pulser

Gareth Emery

Others like Armin Van Buuren, Deadmau5, Skrillex, even local artists, they're all fine. I'm putting more emphasis on a robust event with a lively and unforgettable liveliness/atmosphere/setting.

Thanks in advance. Sorry about the post layout being choppy, I should have figured as much with YouTube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 05:06 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,100 times
Ultra and EDC are the biggest festivals that come to mind. Legitimately, LV has a great electronic scene nowadays because every DJ usually ends up hitting up Vegas at some point, even at times that aren't associated with EDC. Hakkasan and XS is awesome if you're into EDM.

You should consider trying to go on Holy Ship

Holy Ship!!! - Home

I've had friends who went on it and said it was extremely fun. They also don't remember what it was like. I feel like a hypocrite in talking trash about dubstep, but most modern dubstep DJ's are pretty awful.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:24 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Ultra and EDC are the biggest festivals that come to mind. Legitimately, LV has a great electronic scene nowadays because every DJ usually ends up hitting up Vegas at some point, even at times that aren't associated with EDC. Hakkasan and XS is awesome if you're into EDM.

You should consider trying to go on Holy Ship

Holy Ship!!! - Home

I've had friends who went on it and said it was extremely fun. They also don't remember what it was like. I feel like a hypocrite in talking trash about dubstep, but most modern dubstep DJ's are pretty awful.
Thanks for the information.

I completely glossed over Las Vegas being an EDM city. Always had perceptions of it being a top 40 or hip hop sort of place. Still need to see Las Vegas in person. Such an enigma to me.

Also notice you know a bit about Singapore. Any artists or even events like these there, if you know? I'm not familiar with it's nightlife outside of bars.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:33 PM

3 posts, read 7,415 times
I think Chicago's EDM scene has gotten pretty terrible over the last few years. Around 2005 it was great and then CPD started cracking down on house/warehouse shows. Now it's like what, the Congress or the Mid for shows? Bleh.
I have only lived in one other city, LA, and the EDM scene there was great. There were constantly parties with big names playing. Not only that but the high end clubs would also draw a lot of big names. I found club "intoxications" in LA much, MUCH more easily and reliably than in Chicago. Chicago, at least in my experience, is not a great place for that.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:42 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Also notice you know a bit about Singapore. Any artists or even events like these there, if you know? I'm not familiar with it's nightlife outside of bars.
For better and for worse, EDM culture is closely associated with drug culture (MDMA based drugs mostly). That goes true for most party cities, and it shows in the choice of music that is most popular. You won't find as many hardcore ravers in Singapore because trafficking hardcore drugs into the country is punishable by death. There are some good clubs around Raffles Square, but for a city of its size, its quite palid. Singapore always struck be as a bar city, where the salaried 9-5 crowd congregate and talk about office related things. That's perfectly fine as well, but its a bit one dimensional.

In terms of SE Asia, Bali is great once you get past the security risk. Phuket in Thailand is great too.

For the States, you'll actually find more stuff away from the large cities than in it. Most clubs in most cities I find are split between top 40/hip-hop but an increasing amount are EDM specific.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:28 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,835 times
When talking about electronic music, I am very picky but I am also very passionate about it, so forgive any thing that I say that may seem trivial to you. And I could list hundreds of artists that aren't very well known but have genius type talent. As a measuring point, here are some well known artists that I like and many of the newer artists are heavily influenced by them. . .Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, Juan Atkins, Drexciya, Paul Hardcastle, Herbie Hancock, Afrika Bambaataa, Egyptian Lover, Dynamix II

I've been Djing (Mostly underground parties and recreational) for 14 years, so my tastes have changed quite a bit in that time span. And when I say Djing, I mean two Technic turntables, a mixer and schlepping around a bag of Vinyl records (No auto-syncing software to be found) I am only mentioning these things to maybe give you some confidence in that I DO know what I am talking about to some degree.

Chicago is a House music mecca and rightfully so, being that it originated there. Your first youtube track by Lusine is a great track, although not a house track, a lot of the jazzy elements in it can be found in a ton of Chicago house.

In New York you can find a bit of everything, but it really doesn't have a genre that is unique to that region. This doesn't mean there aren't excellent electronic musicians there that play at some spectacular gigs.

I have no experience with the Toronto scene, I don't have one record from anyone in Toronto.

Miami is a whole lot of unique talent that can't be found anywhere else in the world and is my pick by a landslide. (Specifically in the Electrobass genre, NOT the fake 'electro' that is put on many party flyers that doesn't have any characteristics of true Electro). There is also a TON of garbage being played in the clubs there, but the underground music culture that has developed over the years overshadows it enough.

My choice is biased and geared towards what I think quality electronic music is and my taste spans many genres within the electronic spectrum.

Just to give you an idea of the stuff I listen to and play. . .you might like some of it. Not all of these are Miami artists but the underground scene there is in this same fold of atmosphere that these tracks exhibit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OghgtqUpVMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCk81CtxxgA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mow_apOq-xA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfaaSIZEINw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfsHwJRy-Rc

Good luck on your musical journey!

A side note: I can't stand dubstep or trance as a whole. Deadmou5 and Skrillex are boring imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City