Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 01:52 PM

57 posts, read 153,672 times

Advertisements

Hey there!

My husband and I are currently looking into relocating to either the Seattle/Tacoma area (specifically University Place) or Colorado Springs. Work isn't really an issue, but we have whittled it down to these two areas because of the military/government presence and a large portion of my husband's clients are Tri-Care insured.

We visited Seattle last fall and loved it, had a great time there and felt very strongly that we should move there. By a turn of events we ended up not moving and held off for awhile to see if we like this area (Fredericksburg) of Virginia better than the Metro DC area. Now we have found ourselves realizing that we just can't see ourselves here long-term and feel there's something missing.

Naturally, we can't help but entertain the Seattle idea again because we both loved it and have already done extensive research on it. We have also been recommended by several people to check out Colorado Springs and are liking what we've found out so far.

To give you a little history, I'm from Utah originally and my husband has always lived in Virginia but always fantasized about living out west. I would be more than happy to live back West again, as I miss it constantly. I have never been to Colorado Springs but from pictures it looks very similar to parts of Utah that I am used to. Both my husband and I love the mountains, but also love the idea of being close to a large body of water. We aren't super outdoorsy people who hike every weekend, but we do love to be outdoors and I am a photographer and can imagine both areas would give me great landscape opportunities.

These are the things we are looking for:

-lower humidity (we currently live in VA)
-somewhat moderate climate and temperatures - neither too hot nor too cold
-less bugs (yeah, this might seem minor but we have a major bug issue out here)
-warm vibe from the locals
-close proximity to large cities for fun weekend trips and outings
-a decent amount of gluten free options
-safe
-good public schools
-kid friendly (looking to have kids in the next few years)
-dog friendly (easy to find a home with a yard)
-affordability (can buy a decent home for under $300k)

If you had a choice to live in Seattle/Tacoma or Colorado Springs, which would you choose and why?
Any input would be so appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 02:01 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times
I have been to Colorado Springs, it is a great town. I like Seattle too but would prefer CS, better weather and close to Denver.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 PM

57 posts, read 153,672 times
Awesome Matty. Thank you! Did it feel isolated at all? One draw for Seattle is that we have Tacoma and Olympia nearby. Does Colorado Springs feel close enough to Denver? Lately I have this fear of feeling isolated for some reason.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:24 PM

993 posts, read 1,766,491 times
Colorado Springs would definitely have lower humidity

Seattle/Tacoma would have more moderate temps

Seattle/Tacoma is a large area itself and decently close to Portland and Vancouver. Colorado Springs is close to Denver and that's about it

Colorado Springs has a considerably lower cost of living too.

That's about all I know

Old 02-05-2013, 06:27 PM

214 posts, read 410,072 times
Seattle is on my target list of 7 (as well as where I currently live - Denver). If you like/love the more urban environment - Seattle is your choice. If you want a small city, with access to a larger Metro - Colorado Springs is better suited.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:32 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPTP View Post
Awesome Matty. Thank you! Did it feel isolated at all? One draw for Seattle is that we have Tacoma and Olympia nearby. Does Colorado Springs feel close enough to Denver? Lately I have this fear of feeling isolated for some reason.
You said you were from Utah so I'll give you a comparison. Salt Lake City to Provo is about 45 minutes apart driving time. Denver to Colorado Springs is about an hour. It is a very easy drive up I-25 if you want to live in Colorado Springs but borrow the bigger city amenities of Denver.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:47 PM

157 posts, read 301,817 times
Traffic between CS and Denver can be really horrible. Realistically you will not go to Denver often with the kids unless you are really motivated and the kids are happy hanging out in the carseat.

There are really big climate differences. CS has close to 300 days of sunshine, but can be dry, brown, and dusty. Seattle is definitely more wet, cloudy, and green. Which do you prefer?

Old 06-28-2013, 03:45 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPTP View Post
For starters University Place is not in Seattle. It is actually south of Tacoma. Getting to and from UP can be a bit tricky at times traffic wise.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:52 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I have been to Colorado Springs, it is a great town. I like Seattle too but would prefer CS, better weather and close to Denver.
Seattle's weather is highly underrated. Some can't handle the cloudy nature of the winters, so that is always a consideration. But while other parts of the country are freezing their collective asses off, Seattle is in the 40's with drizzle. And while the rest of the country bakes in hot humid weather, Seattle is in the 70's, no humidity and no bugs.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:04 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
maybe this video will help you

Natalie Imbruglia - Torn - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City