Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who?
California 79 41.36%
Canada 84 43.98%
Can't compare, or about the same. 28 14.66%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 09:20 PM

613 posts, read 1,169,790 times

Advertisements

California is similar in population to the entire country of Canada. California is also known to be very liberal just like Canada.

What do you think is more liberal, if you take everyone living in both areas into account?

Who is more liberal- California or Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 09:43 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,605,764 times
They both start with a C and end w/ an A. Thats how exciting man made political ideologies are.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:52 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Liberals now have a two-thirds super majority in California's state legislature and every state elected office is held by a Liberal.

The message by conservatives is just not resonating with Californians any more and it concerns me not because I am a fan of all things conservative, but I would like to see dialogue and more debate.

I would also like to see more restraint as far as spending and I am pleased by 2 recent events.
1. Governor Jerry Brown presented a budget that didn't overspend and warned Dems to follow suit. Which is good.
2. Lt Governor Gavin Newsom recently came out AGAINST the bullet train, which IMO was a $68 Billion boondoggle-good for him!

Otherwise, California has legalized gay marriage, California has long been on the forefront of environmental protection, California is one of the most open-handed states to the poor, elderly, young and sick(and I am extremely happy about that as a Christian) but we should also keep in mind that California does have some fairly conservative areas, large areas of the state in fact. Suburban San Diego, Orange County, the Inland Empire and Central Valley all lean to the right but lately have been more moderate.

On the other hand,
issues such as gun control and immigration are federal issues so California couldn't make any laws regarding those issues anyway.

I think California will pass recreational marijuana soon tho-the Obama administration really did CA a huge disservice by going after specifically CA based dispensaries in previous years before suddenly being more lax with other states, which is cool I suppose as it's not always easy to be the first and most outspoken. I think it was to appear tough on crime. Who knows? But as we now know, that issue has also falling into the left column.

And mind you, I don't really identify myself as being a total liberal, in fact I find myself becoming more conservative but regardless as to how the chips may fall, this is my home and I will respect whatever my fellow Californians decide no matter how much it irks me. LOL

We seem to be surviving despite our differences.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
ca is a big place do you mean southern CA?
do you mean quebec?
canada is also a big place.
the young in quebec are not like the ones here.
more conservative and far less sympathetic to those who do not wish to work.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:44 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,522,370 times
Canada is far more liberal than California.

Though it predictably elects Democrats, California is a lot more conservative than people think. There is no place in Canada, not even Alberta, that's as conservative as Kern County. Orange County, though socially moderate, is extremely conservative as well. Most of the Central Valley, the Inland Empire, and rural Northern California all lean to the right. San Diego is even more conservative than any of the Canadian cities.

The only super liberal parts of California are the Bay Area, the northern swath of Los Angeles proper (and adjacent suburbs), and parts of the San Fernando Valley.

Even the parts of California that are heavily Democratic, are still socially conservative, such as Imperial County, poorer sections of Los Angeles County, and Sacramento.

In comparison, just about all of British Columbia, Quebec, and the city Toronto are all super liberal. The rest of Canada leans to left, and Alberta leans to the right.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 02-21-2014 at 10:57 PM..

Old 02-22-2014, 01:14 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,566,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
2. Lt Governor Gavin Newsom recently came out AGAINST the bullet train, which IMO was a $68 Billion boondoggle-good for him!
Gavin Newsom is a cynical stuffed suit and you know it.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Gavin Newsom is a cynical stuffed suit and you know it.
Well stuffy or not, he will probably be our next governor and I think that he did the right thing coming out against the high speed rail. That was the smart thing to do. $68 Billion is too much. More than twice what it should be.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:51 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,566,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well stuffy or not, he will probably be our next governor and I think that he did the right thing coming out against the high speed rail. That was the smart thing to do. $68 Billion is too much. More than twice what it should be.
Fortunately for all of us, a far, far wiser man with no political ambition beyond actually serving the people right now will hold the job for another 6+ years while Gavin triangulates himself.

Last edited by nslander; 02-22-2014 at 02:20 AM..

Old 02-22-2014, 01:58 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,171,154 times
California wouldn't tolerate Rob Ford, who I suspect might get re-elected (actually I don't know how he is doing in the polls).

Old 02-22-2014, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Fortunately for all us, a far, far wiser man with no political ambition beyond actually serving the people right now will hold the job for another 6+ years while Gavin triangulates himself.
He can triangulate himself, square himself, rectangulate himself, etc. Whatever, I don't care. The fact is, he is doing the right thing by openly calling for the bullet train project in its current form to be dismantled and cancelled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City