Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Building?
Atlanta 54 24.55%
Charlotte 64 29.09%
Dallas 29 13.18%
Houston 14 6.36%
Los Angeles 7 3.18%
Miami 5 2.27%
New York City 17 7.73%
Providence 2 0.91%
San Francisco 8 3.64%
Seattle 17 7.73%
other? 3 1.36%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 05:48 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
For as long as I can remember I always loved LA's since I first layed eyes on it in May of 1984 when it was the Security Pacific Bank Tower. I love alot of the 70s skyscraper architecture. Love how it sits on the property at an angle and I love the architectural detail.

The one in Atlanta I honestly never liked. Never liked the color and I hate the pointed top.

I think the spire on the Atlanta BOA tower is pretty impressive, especially when you see it in person. I don't see the appeal of the L.A. building, but to each his own!

BTW, If you don't like buildings with pointed tops, you'd hate Atlanta's skyline - there are lots of buildings with pointed crowns. There was a bit of an obsession among archtects to include that feature on buildings back in the 80s and 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 08:59 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
I like Houston's best. It is a piece of "freeway architecture" that cannot really be appreciated at street level, but it looks so strong and imposing. To me, it's one of the best postmodern high rises of that era. So, I guess I can forgive Philip Johnson for obscuring his true masterpiece downtown, Pennzoil Place.

My second favorite, 555 California in San Francisco, doesn't get as much love as it deserves. Consider that it was completed in 1969, but would easily be mistaken for late 80s-mid 90s construction in most cities. Not bad to be able to tell a woman she looks 20 years younger than she is, right? It is very elegant in its materials and siting and blends form and function very well. SOM made several nods to this building's design in other skyscrapers they designed across the country.

After that, in order, I'd go with Atlanta and Charlotte. Less inspired designs and design statements, but "pretty" buildings. Seattle, NYC and Dallas follow those with buildings that are impressive for their height and prominence, but have a lame glass curtain wall aesthetic driving their design language.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:07 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I like Houston's best. It is a piece of "freeway architecture" that cannot really be appreciated at street level, but it looks so strong and imposing. To me, it's one of the best postmodern high rises of that era. So, I guess I can forgive Philip Johnson for obscuring his true masterpiece downtown, Pennzoil Place.
Yes! Are there many that can be appreciated from the street? These are huge buildings here.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
The Houston one maximizes its block at the base, leaving a narrow sidewalk. The banking lobby is nice, but for architecture that resembles a cathedral, there's no procession to or through the structure, as one might expect, given better siting.

In San Francisco, the building is set back from California St. forming a nice plaza, albeit a windy one. One of the largest Christmas trees in the City goes here every year. The California St. cable car line runs right in front of it. It also stands at the head of Belden Alley, which is full of sidewalk cafés, where people can eat outside and look up at it.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:47 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,813 times
1. New York (people seem to forget about this one, which is the tallest BOA in country and is the newest and largest)
2. Charlotte (one of Cesar Pelli's best imo)
3. Houston - so unique and a nice postmodern take on a traditional Dutch design
4. Atlanta - I like the look from most angles and up close
5. Seattle - so tall and interesting from below
6. San Francisco - timeless and one of the buildings that spurred the creation of the word "Manhattanization"
7. Providence - I like deco
8. Jacksonville - decently interesting from a late 90s postmodern perspective and decently tall with a public viewing spot
9. Baltimore - cute
10. Orlando - a less striking "step up" version of Houston's, with half the height, but interesting nonetheless

Dallas's, Tampa's, and Miami's don't do it for me. There are others, as well. Charlotte alone has quite a few that are 30+ floors.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:49 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Atlanta people will rejoice... I am picking, Atlanta. The building at night is actually really cool b/c you can see the light through the top.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:09 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Charlotte's.

Atlanta's is neither here nor there for me. The crown comes across as an afterthought and it's atrocious at ground-level.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,480 times
What about San Antonio's? It may be a gherkin, but if you're going to include that unfortunate looking one in LA, you may as well include them all.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:51 PM

76 posts, read 114,498 times
ATL, Charlotte, Dallas, and NYC. Overall I chose Charlotte.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:29 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Bank of America is finishing up a new tower in Chicago along the river. It's not too bad and the base is neat. It's much, much better than what was on the same plot of land before. Not sure it's my favorite B of A tower, but it's not bad.

110 North Wacker Drive

Not sure when they'll be done but I think they're pretty far along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City