Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 08:38 PM

410 posts, read 633,615 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee is definitely one of the most underrated cities in the North, and in the entire country as well.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:41 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,673 times
Overrated: NYC

Underrated: Burlington, VT

Just OK: DC, Boston, Philadelphia

Overhyped: Baltimore

Old 03-02-2014, 08:41 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
Milwaukee is definitely one of the most underrated cities in the North, and in the entire country as well.
OK, so this has been an ongoing post in this thread. So what is underrated about Milwaukee that most people don't know? Neighborhoods? Parks? Food? ya know and photos! Photos are good. Tell us a story about Milwaukee.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think Boston IS definitely an exceptional city. It is exceptional as a city of commerce, a state capital and an unofficial capital of an entire region: New England, a city of history, fine arts, sports, architecture, gardens, food, and music.

Why do people consider Boston "overrated" ? Why do people consider Philadelphia "underrated" for that matter?
It took me a few years but I'll admit I like BOS more than NYC, PHL, or DC. I'm not a fan of the educational elitism element they like to taunt but some neighborhoods (like Jamaica Plain or Sommerville) have that irresistible New England relaxed flavor that even make the worst winter days seem beautiful.

I however DON'T like BOS nearly as much as Denver, LA, San Francisco, or Miami. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:02 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Overrated: NYC

Underrated: Burlington, VT

Just OK: DC, Boston, Philadelphia

Overhyped: Baltimore
Baltimore overhyped? Really?? Do people on the West Coast even have Baltimore on their radar?

Old 03-02-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Lol, but how is this the city's fault for having a lot of people cheering for it? To an extent I get where you're coming from but that shouldn't take away from everything the city offers and all of the history that comes along with it. Not saying you do that specifically but yeah. People boost all over the world (The US is probably hated the most anyway) but that should't diminish why a place is great (or not).

Also regarding "New York" merchandise, lol I believe you. Though I only feel that's appreciation for a place they love & want to bring that experience to wherever they're from. Brooklyn is becoming it's own entity when it comes to branding more so than any other borough, name wise.

Here's an article about the world’s 10 Most Brooklyn-ish Restaurants and Bars. . .

Hipster Assimilation: The World’s 10 Most Brooklynish Restaurants and Bars -- Grub Street New York

Brooklyn also has a Parisian fashion label called "Brooklyn We Go Hard - BWGH"

One of their most recognized sweaters -http://www.bwgh.fr/media/catalog/pro..._mg_0029_1.jpg

Besides more exposure I don't see how this effects a city in a negative way.

I love when people attempt to downplay certain aspects of New York and then bring in other cities that really compare.

You see, IN THE US New York has the best system. Sure it's not the prettiest, it doesn't smell like roses and we have a lot of delays, but guess what, it still get's the job done and it's very effective. How can you sit and compare lets say a system like Boston or DC for that matter, to New York? We all act like size shouldn't matter but unfortunately it does. When another system handles half of what New York does IN THE US and runs 24/7, then let's talk.

Furthermore I visit B.A.M, MoMa, Prospect Park, Restaurants, events at Barclays, etc quite often. Though the same could be asked for ANY city resident. Having access to visit these theaters and events is extremely better than WISHING I had the access to it. (Let me be clear - I'm NOT saying other cities in the US don't offer any amenities/cultural locations/Museums etc. You guys are extremely soft on these forums so I guess I'll just start making disclaimers for everything I post).
I disagree. The MTA is nothing but a bunch of lazy union workers that take an excessive amount of time to get public projects done. Don't you find it alarming that at 2am on a saturday in the largest city in the US you have to wait 15-20 minutes between trains at a station to get where you're going? Not to mention the subway stations are disgusting, the turnstile swipes are all broken, it's overpriced, and don't get me started on what a piece of s*** the PATH train is.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Baltimore overhyped? Really?? Do people on the West Coast even have Baltimore on their radar?
I'm from the east coast. I just live out here.

I've visited Baltimore way too many times to count. Half a dozen times in college, most recently a few years ago for a wedding. What I don't like about Baltimore is how you can walk down the wrong street without even knowing and it becomes immediately sketch. Not sketch like "Hey, turn around if I see an approaching shadow" more like "Oh s*** I better hide my wallet and grasp my car keys in case someone approaches me so I can protect myself.." Oh and this is in the middle of the day, mind you.

Also for a northeastern city, the public transit systems are a joke (not that I care, I like car culture way more.) I don't hate BWI, it's got charming museums. However at the end of the day it's pretty dinky and way too sketch to be taken seriously.

There was also, you know, that one friend from high school who converted to becoming a Baltimore hipster and hates on every single city in America but Baltimore. Don't ever get him started on how *TERRIBLE* DC is in relation to Baltimore. He has a particular beef with LA yet has never visited to make a judgement. Kind of turned into a big a-hole actually.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:18 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,735,306 times
Overrated: Philadelphia

Underrated: Washington DC

Old 03-03-2014, 05:59 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
DC and Baltimore are not northern cities so don't mention them in here

Old 03-03-2014, 08:24 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
DC and Baltimore are not northern cities so don't mention them in here
I made sure to define northern when I started this thread to avoid the fruitless nitpicking of terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Which Northern City is the most underrated and which is the most overrated in your opinion and why? Out of the underrated cities which do you think will be the next world class or great city in time. Out of the overrated cities which do you think deserves all the praise it gets?

I'm defining "northern" as the area east of the Missouri River and north of the Ohio and Potomac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City