Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 04:13 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times

Advertisements

My city NYC is overrated because it literally can't be underrated. It's hyphed all over the world but it's justified hyphe.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:23 PM

Philly is very underrated, it's a second home to me and I love it. I just hate that things don't stay open till late like NYC but still love it and there's a lot of Puerto Rican girls .

Old 03-26-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Overrated to the core: Boston!

Good lord was that city just the pits. Sleepy town where bars kick you out at 1:30, last call called at 1:20-1:30. Super cliquish city with a crappy dating scene. Bad weather and utterly boring over all. Great stuff to do during the day, beautiful town and an intellectuals dream city but just not the exciting college town I thought it was.

I'm surprised I'm not the only one who thinks this, apparently Boston is considered overrated.

Philly is grossly underrated as is Baltimore. These towns have excellent nightlife scenes. As does DC but that isn't enough to excuse the douchebaggery.
Damn seems like Boston is getting a early bash lol idk but I like Boston. Lol

Old 03-26-2014, 04:31 PM

Btw all you Boston posters saying NYC is overrated, your opinions mean little. Yankees all day.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I also have to throw in my two cents and add that NYC is vastly overrated unless you're a mogul or something. Its great for a tourist visit and to party once in a while but to live there has to be the pits unless you're Trump or something. Manhattan was so gentrified and yuppified that I couldn't stand it. It turned into Disneyland for the rich.

I've also had way more fun at night in cities like Houston, NOLA, Austin, and Nashville then I've had in NYC.

You have to realize that most of these overhyped cities are done so in mags for yuppies by yuppies, oh wait I'm sorry, the "creative class".
I guess I'm not a New Yorker then since I'm from Brooklyn.

This manhattan = NYC thing is starting to become a serious pet peeve.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I love how most people make the claim "NYC is so overrated" and then later on reveal - "Manhattan has changed" LOL.

Regardless of how you view this city (even if you think Manhattan is the most important) you can't view the entire city, 5 boroughs, in a day or 1 week and honestly give your opinion. That goes for ANY city. How would you know that Flushing, Queens (or the Bronx and Brooklyn, on everyday street level activity) is denser than some other cities if you NEVER visit there?

I think it's one thing to say "I personally didn't like X city because XYZ" that's fine, But you can't accurately say a city is overrated when you haven't spent enough time there (and ventured out of the tourist areas/go where the locals are). People mention limited areas of Manhattan and Brooklyn and think that's ALL the city has to offer, lol. Brooklyn has a lot of areas out side of the "hipster zones" everyone loves to mention. Furthermore there are areas where newer residents are moving however the housing stock has been there for decades. Lastly, Brooklyn had/has the 3rd largest CBD in NYC even before newer residents started coming into the neighborhood. The demographics are changing a little but that doesn't take away the charm of the borough. Construction is happening more now than before because the demand is here, people are waiting to move here. No one is forced to move here and 8 Million+ and counting agrees.

There's more to Brooklyn than just Williamsburg and the Brooklyn Promenade (Brooklyn Heights) by the way.
+1 and maybe I'll change my vote and say NYC is underrated because people on these forums still haven't figured it out that us people from Brooklyn, queens, staten and the Bronx are New Yorkers too.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
For the record, I think most parts of NYC are overrated, not just Manhattan. This includes north Brooklyn, and yes, south Brooklyn and central Brooklyn too. Staten Island and the Bronx aren't really "rated" to begin with, so maybe I wouldn't put the same label on them. Queens isn't bad, but not exceptionally good either.

And let's be real about NYC public transit too- it isn't that great. For all this talk about being some awesome world city, it definitely has the worst public transportation of any other international city- Seoul, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Berlin, London, any Chinese big city, they all make New York look like a joke in this department. And it is. Compared to other US cities it might be in the top 5 systems, but the transit is way way way overrated.

Yes there are lots of theaters and classical music and museums, blah blah blah. These things exist for tourists. NYC residents, how often do you go to the Guggenheim? Be honest.

I just really can't stand the NY-centricity of this forum. I like going there sometimes to hang out with friends and stay out super late at bars and stuff, but let's seriously put it in perspective. It's not that it's a bad place necessarily, it's just that for all the talk it gets, you'd really expect it to be much better. Hence, I think it's overrated.
Ok so overall you're butt hurt.

I stop reading post like this once I see "I just can't understand the hyphe"

Let me know when Boston reached the levels of NYC, and then we can speak.

Btw I'm a fan of Boston but it's a known fact that anything about NYC makes you people rant. YAWN

Old 03-26-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Overrated: Boston, Long Island, and DC

Underrated: Philly, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh.
Long Island is a suburb lol

Old 03-26-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Some New Yorkers seem a little defensive. Every city gets it at one point or another.
I was waiting for a post like this to. No post to back up anything just a post saying "some New Yorkers seem defensive" lol.

Most of you New Yorkers posting on this board should be prepared for comments like this once you defend your city.

Understand that New Yorkers have no rights to defend their city on city data but everyone else does.

That's why a lot of New Yorkers don't even post on city vs city to begin with lol.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:49 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I was waiting for a post like this to. No post to back up anything just a post saying "some New Yorkers seem defensive" lol.

Most of you New Yorkers posting on this board should be prepared for comments like this once you defend your city.

Understand that New Yorkers have no rights to defend their city on city data but everyone else does.

That's why a lot of New Yorkers don't even post on city vs city to begin with lol.
I think you just proved Kodeblue's point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City