Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 07:26 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times

Advertisements

you want to make an argument as to what could be the best medium sized city in the nation? try Madison. The place is incredible, quality of life to be dreamed for, beautiful, quirky, and a lot of other good things, an incomparable combination of state capital and flagship university (sorry, Austin).

now pull Madison up by its roots and drop it somewhere on the northeast corridor or in the coastal region between LA and SF and you would see it soar into the national consciousness.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:54 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
I don't think most New Yorkers get it: the bigger it gets, the less it becomes. NYC has always been about making a buck. Now it makes too many of them and spending them diminishes so much of what the city was and should be. I love New York morphs into New York loving itself to death.

the price of Manhattan real estate puts endless demands on build, build, build. and on up, up, up. Hudson Yards, when complete, if taken elsewhere and placed on its own would be one of the largest skylines in the US. Yet it is just a piece of perpetually growing Manhattan. Growth is endemic across the US, a land of more, more, more, a place of endless supply for endless demand. In Manhattan, IMHO, the growth is cancerous.

Old New York gets wiped out, replaced by new New York, an often sterile, homogenized, soulless place. the middle class gets squeezed out and what's left in the extremely wealthy for whom the place is for and the very poor who can't get out and are there to serve the monied interests.

Once a model of diversity, New York as the home of the rich squeezes out so many of the creative types who added so much to its character. The artists are long gone from the Village (and why shouldn't they be: art and culture are about making money in NYC; they are merely commodities these days, like everything else. everything has a price). And no Damon Runyon characters,neither guy nor doll, will ever be seen at the Disneyland that once was Times Square. Indeed, gentrification turns the whole place into some form of Disney. Sure, it's great to see old warehouses survive and be reutilized for different purposes like in Soho: but their reuse leaves no element of reality to it. It's stage set. No George Gershwin will ever write a song like Rhapsody in Blue to the ebullient, optimistic, promising world of New York; that New York is long gone. And New York has unearthed one of its greatest qualities: grit. It's gone. Cleveland can run circles around it in that department. and what is gone is something far too precious to have lost.

Nothing stays the same. True everywhere; a way of life in New York. So unless New York were to decide to contract, it will continue to expand and that expansion will eat up more and more about what made New York New York. Count the buildings with cranes in the air throughout the southern 2/3 of Manhattan and ask yourself this: how long will it take before a walk from the tip of the Bowery to the far end of Central Park will be an endless walk through a skyscraper forest, block by block, with the possibly exception of Central Park itself (if it lasts….who knows, in this neocon world of ours where the rich call the shots and the commons are forgotten, maybe the price of that real estate may be too valuable to just pass up).

I don't believe in ranking cities. I don't believe any city is #1. But if I were forced to pick the #1 city in the world, that city would be NYC, circa 1950, at the apex of America's true greatness, a totally real city, a city for everyone, affordable enough to go to a Bwy play or dinner on the town, or rent a flat. Diverse in every aspect, including and especially socio-economic. Now there was city. And none on the face of the earth today could compare with it.

Last edited by edsg25; 03-27-2014 at 08:04 AM..

Old 03-27-2014, 08:21 AM

573 posts, read 1,049,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Milwaukee is underrated in my book.
I don't think you could underrate Milwaukee if you want to

Old 03-27-2014, 10:25 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,082 times
Milwaukee is quite a nice place, segregated, but nice. It gets overlooked a lot and is usually in Chicago's shadow. I would say Baltimore is overrated and Indianapolis is underrated.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:55 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
I don't think you could underrate Milwaukee if you want to
At least we know how to use basic grammar.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:48 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times
Can I just say that New York is a fantastic city. However, once is enough for most folks and I've been several times. It's so hyped up you kinda go there and just soak in the experience and leave. I won't say it's overrated, it's just New York. I'm glad I experienced the city but if I never go again I'll live.

My favorite northern city is Portland, Maine. So underrated.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Milwaukee is quite a nice place, segregated, but nice. It gets overlooked a lot and is usually in Chicago's shadow. I would say Baltimore is overrated and Indianapolis is underrated.
I don't even think people think about Baltimore. I've been but I had less than zero interest in being there. D.C. is the place to be in that region.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
At least we know how to use basic grammar.
Your name is awesome BTW!

Old 03-30-2014, 02:53 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
you want to make an argument as to what could be the best medium sized city in the nation? try Madison. The place is incredible, quality of life to be dreamed for, beautiful, quirky, and a lot of other good things, an incomparable combination of state capital and flagship university (sorry, Austin).

now pull Madison up by its roots and drop it somewhere on the northeast corridor or in the coastal region between LA and SF and you would see it soar into the national consciousness.
Actually I think if you did that, Madison would be even more overlooked than it is now. No way would it soar in the national consciousness within the shadows of NYC, Boston, LA, and the Bay Area.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:54 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
I don't even think people think about Baltimore. I've been but I had less than zero interest in being there. D.C. is the place to be in that region.
Baltimore has it bright spots. The city has seen better days, but I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City