Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Milwaukee is quite a nice place, segregated, but nice. It gets overlooked a lot and is usually in Chicago's shadow. I would say Baltimore is overrated and Indianapolis is underrated.
Here's the reality in Indianapolis (this is all easily verifiable if you question its accuracy)

1. 12,000 abandoned homes. Thousands of others have been torn down.
2. Two of the most dangerous neighborhoods in America.
3. Failing downtown mall. Circle Center can't attract retail tenants to replace Nordstroms and others who have left, and is now leasing space to a 2nd tier trade school and the local newspaper, which is also living on borrowed time. 1 department store. There were four in 1980.
4. Huge subsidies to sports teams. Stadium deals considered the worst for taxpayers in America. The city's CIB funds Pacers operating losses and has for over 10 years. The Pacers are owned by a billionaire.
5. Murder rate that exceeds Chicago on a per capita basis.
6. Crumbling infrastructure
7. Population in urban core (Center Township) is 142,000 (2010 census) versus 330,000 in 1950

Does this sound like an underrated city? I don't think so. Indianapolis spends a ton of money trying to convince people that this city is on the rise, but it is dangerously close to falling completely apart. Most business is now in Hamilton County and along 465 on the far north end of Marion County. There are traffic jams up there, while there are seldom traffic problems into downtown. Last year, both interstates through downtown were closed for two months. It was hardly noticeable and I work downtown. They want to spend a billion plus to put transit into downtown. Nobody bothers to think here. They just take whatever they are told and they believe it. Ridiculous. Indy is a failed city by any reasonable measure.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:26 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda Yoder View Post
Here's the reality in Indianapolis (this is all easily verifiable if you question its accuracy)

3. Failing downtown mall. Circle Center can't attract retail tenants to replace Nordstroms and others who have left, and is now leasing space to a 2nd tier trade school and the local newspaper, which is also living on borrowed time. 1 department store. There were four in 1980.
4. Huge subsidies to sports teams. Stadium deals considered the worst for taxpayers in America. The city's CIB funds Pacers operating losses and has for over 10 years. The Pacers are owned by a billionaire.
7. Population in urban core (Center Township) is 142,000 (2010 census) versus 330,000 in 1950

Does this sound like an underrated city? I don't think so. Indianapolis spends a ton of money trying to convince people that this city is on the rise, but it is dangerously close to falling completely apart. Most business is now in Hamilton County and along 465 on the far north end of Marion County. There are traffic jams up there, while there are seldom traffic problems into downtown. Last year, both interstates through downtown were closed for two months. It was hardly noticeable and I work downtown. They want to spend a billion plus to put transit into downtown. Nobody bothers to think here. They just take whatever they are told and they believe it. Ridiculous. Indy is a failed city by any reasonable measure.
Wow, I had no clue Indianapolis was doing that bad. They sure do cover it up well

Old 04-13-2014, 12:26 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda Yoder View Post

Someone sounds bitter.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:33 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Wow, I had no clue Indianapolis was doing that bad. They sure do cover it up well
Indianapolis has problems like any other city does.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:58 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,260 times
I'm starting to agree Philly is underrated. The people, the culture, the hustle and bustle, a decent transit, and good jobs make it a contender. It's also connected to Jersey and you can get to NYC pretty easily if that's your thing. it's also close to other big cities like DC and Baltimore, and a comfortable plane ride to the south. You can also get to Chicago via train quite easily as well.

I have to admit, Philly was off my radar before moving here, but I'm very glad I made the decision to come to Philly. It is a city that has pleasantly surprised me on many levels. And I love how down to earth the people are. I much prefer a down to earth city than yuppievile towns.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:27 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,183,714 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I can think of many cities that don't have similar characteristics. I wasn't dropping my jaw at those stats.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:27 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Doesn't sound any worse than the problems going on in just about any other city.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Underrated: Portland, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati

Overrated: I've loved every one that I've been to.
Portland? Seriously? I think it's one of the most over-rated in the world! They have trouble keeping their schools open due to lack of funding!

Pittsburgh? Maybe to the average guy on the street, specifically like 17th St. in Denver or somewhere, but not on this forum!

Never been to Cincy.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:17 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Portland? Seriously? I think it's one of the most over-rated in the world! They have trouble keeping their schools open due to lack of funding!
You think Portland, ME is one of the most overrated cities in the world????

Old 04-13-2014, 08:01 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You think Portland, ME is one of the most overrated cities in the world????
You think Katiana, thinks Portland, ME is one of the most overrated cities in the world????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City