Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 08:18 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm trying to figure out a label/scene from Philly. Really. Boston is obvious. DC is obvious. NYC has many and numerous. Philly? Can't think of one.
Lol The Sound of Philadelphia? Neo-soul?

Old 03-05-2015, 08:28 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
There is no point of responding to that delusional Boston homer.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:50 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out a label/scene from Philly. Really. Boston is obvious. DC is obvious. NYC has many and numerous. Philly? Can't think of one.
Forty Years of Philadelphia Sound- page 1 | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian

Old 03-05-2015, 09:11 AM

87 posts, read 90,494 times
Most over-rated: Washington DC
Most under-rated: Buffalo

Old 03-05-2015, 09:30 AM

869 posts, read 1,277,338 times
Underrated: Baltimore, Cleveland

Old 03-05-2015, 09:32 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Well Boston doesn't have NYC costs. And I'm not. Boston is a pretty small city, really. It packs more for a punch that equivalent cities its size, easily.
DC is far more of an institutional town with more conservative taste--Philly absolutely has more of an artsy/alternative/underground vibe. I say this as someone with extensive experience living in/near both cities. I just don't see the robust independent music scene in DC that you seem to hold in such high regard.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:03 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
most overrated - St Francis
most underrated - Fargo

City and Town Name Generator for RPGs and Writers

Old 03-05-2015, 10:09 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:

Pure crap. Barely listenable. That's a pretty new thing and full of unlistenable stuff ala Lauryn Hill. Have you ever been able to make it through a Badu album? Me neither. One track is a chore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
DC is far more of an institutional town with more conservative taste--Philly absolutely has more of an artsy/alternative/underground vibe. I say this as someone with extensive experience living in/near both cities. I just don't see the robust independent music scene in DC that you seem to hold in such high regard.
Really? I want to go there multiple times a month for shows, but its just too far.

Quote:
Boston Has the Highest Rent in the Country

And Boston is a renter-heavy city (65%) while Philly is a home-owner city (47% renters).

You just don't seem very objective about Boston or knowledgeable about Philly and the music scene/history.

Just seems like you have an ax to grind -Philly is your favorite city for art yet you can never find anything to do here?

To me it's just that Boston and DC are very overpriced compared to Philadelphia. I still enjoy both cities though I don't think they are on the same scale as Philly.
No one believes that. Having lived in SF as well, Boston is bargain rent wise.

You're right, they're not on the same scale. Places like DC, Boston, NYC, Chicago, SF, etc are all on a higher level than Philly. Again, Philly isn't bad. I never said it was. Just overrated. I mean, I'd choose Philly over places like Houston, Atlanta or Indianapolis, but that just isn't saying much.

Heck, most people I know that have moved to PA for a city are choosing Pittsburgh now (partially for price) over Philly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
There is no point of responding to that delusional Boston homer.
Except I don't consider Boston home really.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:27 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Pure crap. Barely listenable. That's a pretty new thing and full of unlistenable stuff ala Lauryn Hill. Have you ever been able to make it through a Badu album? Me neither. One track is a chore.

Really? I want to go there multiple times a month for shows, but its just too far.

No one believes that. Having lived in SF as well, Boston is bargain rent wise.

You're right, they're not on the same scale. Places like DC, Boston, NYC, Chicago, SF, etc are all on a higher level than Philly. Again, Philly isn't bad. I never said it was. Just overrated. I mean, I'd choose Philly over places like Houston, Atlanta or Indianapolis, but that just isn't saying much.

Heck, most people I know that have moved to PA for a city are choosing Pittsburgh now (partially for price) over Philly.

Except I don't consider Boston home really.
No one believes facts and real data but they'll believe your anecdotes and adopt your preferences as their own?

LOL...Ooh, city-data...

Old 03-05-2015, 11:20 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Philadelphia Sound is a much older, more mainstream type of R&B; surely you're not referring to THAT.

As far as neo-soul, it's an awesome genre and has some real musicianship, unlike a lot of this pop stuff. But whether you like it or not--which wasn't really even the point--it's a genre associated with Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City