Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 01:28 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,006,539 times

Advertisements

I also have to throw in my two cents and add that NYC is vastly overrated unless you're a mogul or something. Its great for a tourist visit and to party once in a while but to live there has to be the pits unless you're Trump or something. Manhattan was so gentrified and yuppified that I couldn't stand it. It turned into Disneyland for the rich.

I've also had way more fun at night in cities like Houston, NOLA, Austin, and Nashville then I've had in NYC.

You have to realize that most of these overhyped cities are done so in mags for yuppies by yuppies, oh wait I'm sorry, the "creative class".

Old 02-25-2014, 05:38 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I also have to throw in my two cents and add that NYC is vastly overrated unless you're a mogul or something. Its great for a tourist visit and to party once in a while but to live there has to be the pits unless you're Trump or something. Manhattan was so gentrified and yuppified that I couldn't stand it. It turned into Disneyland for the rich.

I've also had way more fun at night in cities like Houston, NOLA, Austin, and Nashville then I've had in NYC.

You have to realize that most of these overhyped cities are done so in mags for yuppies by yuppies, oh wait I'm sorry, the "creative class".
Though that's true for Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn, but I actually find Queens rather underrated.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:47 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
I'm kinda wondering where the "Boston overrated" talk is coming from. I've never heard anybody ever, including anyone in Boston, assert that Boston's nightlife is amazing or anything about it is the best. Most people here are quite accepting of the fact that a lot of stuff could be a lot better.Is this about the Red Sox or something? Overall, I find Boston to be very pleasant. I don't know how anyone can say Boston is more overrated than New York.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:30 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Who rates Hartford highly? I'd say that it's a pretty mediocre city that is seen as such.
Hartford has a beautiful state capital but yeah there isn't very much to do there at all. It has a nice financial district for a medium sized city, but downtown is crickets after 6:00 PM and much of the rest of the city is quite rough around the edges. By comparison Providence is a quite a bit more lively, eclectic, and fun.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:40 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Milwaukee is underrated in my book.
I agree. Milwaukee is the answer to the underrated thing in my mind.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:05 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,060 times
Overrated: You could easily look at Boston, DC, Philadelphia and NYC as being overrated in some respect.

Underrated: Providence, Baltimore and Portland

Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
KCMO has always been and St. Louis has become very underrated. Minneapolis gets a ton of attention on here but in the real world nobody outside the Upper Midwest knows ANYTHING about it and all you ever hear people say is that it's small and cold all the time.
When it comes to Minneapolis the people that do know about it are those that count. They have been or are making the city / metro what it is -- a growing economic powerhouse. The fact that the average Joe doesn't know much about Minneapolis or the TC area is a positive.

I agree that Milwaukee is underrated.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:47 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
NY isn't overrated, simply b/c it's the real deal and the only city like that. Whether you are going to love it or hate it is another thing. But it is billed as what it is. Other cities have more interchangeable experiences. I'd say the same thing for Los Angeles, if you want perfect weather and massive city with similar overall amenities to NYC, it is billed as what it is. The amenities and opportunities are in both, where as much harder to find in other cities.

NYC is easily in spot #1 all by itself, LA is easily in spot #2 all by itself. The next tier of metros even reaching into Canada match up a lot better with each other, Chicago, SF, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Philly, DC. All those places offer similar living experiences. NYC and LA are the oddballs out in their own ways. I have lived in 3 and visited all of them.

^ I thought Milwaukee was overrated. Didn't see what the hype was about, at least if you are living in Chicago, didn't see much a point in going unless it was for Summerfest. To me it's a one time city.

Last edited by grapico; 02-25-2014 at 11:10 AM..

Old 02-25-2014, 11:28 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
Milwaukee has good fabric and loads of potential but it is also the most segregated city in the country and has poisonous race relations. This holds it back in my opinion.

Pittsburgh and Philly are so famously underrated that I am not sure they are underrated anymore.

Minneapolis is overrated by the people who live there and underrated by everyone else.

Duluth is very underrated, if you put it on the coast in New England it would be a favorite weekend getaway the way Portland, ME is.

My vote goes to Kansas City and Columbus, both of which are nice places that are well off of people's radar. St Louis might be there too, but it still has some stuff to work on. In ten years it could be what Pittsburgh is now.

In general I think Midwestern cities are underrated.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:38 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
KC and Pittsburgh are probably the 2 most underrated, at least for people looking for a decent urban foot print and cheap living plus amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City