Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 12:03 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,012 times

Advertisements

I love how most people make the claim "NYC is so overrated" and then later on reveal - "Manhattan has changed" LOL.

Regardless of how you view this city (even if you think Manhattan is the most important) you can't view the entire city, 5 boroughs, in a day or 1 week and honestly give your opinion. That goes for ANY city. How would you know that Flushing, Queens (or the Bronx and Brooklyn, on everyday street level activity) is denser than some other cities if you NEVER visit there?

I think it's one thing to say "I personally didn't like X city because XYZ" that's fine, But you can't accurately say a city is overrated when you haven't spent enough time there (and ventured out of the tourist areas/go where the locals are). People mention limited areas of Manhattan and Brooklyn and think that's ALL the city has to offer, lol. Brooklyn has a lot of areas out side of the "hipster zones" everyone loves to mention. Furthermore there are areas where newer residents are moving however the housing stock has been there for decades. Lastly, Brooklyn had/has the 3rd largest CBD in NYC even before newer residents started coming into the neighborhood. The demographics are changing a little but that doesn't take away the charm of the borough. Construction is happening more now than before because the demand is here, people are waiting to move here. No one is forced to move here and 8 Million+ and counting agrees.

There's more to Brooklyn than just Williamsburg and the Brooklyn Promenade (Brooklyn Heights) by the way.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:13 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times
In all fairness, Manhattan is overrated and for that matter mostly the most celebrated areas of lower manhattan. I loved the area around Columbia University. Point is I deep the same about West LA, which is the most celebrated and lauded area of LA (mostly by transplants and yuppie rags). So I don't want to be unfair to NYC and call it all a yuppie and hipster haven that's been over gentrified and over hyped.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:23 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
NY isn't overrated.
I disagree.

NYC is a great and wild city, but for better or worse it also has more "bandwagon-ers" than any other city in the country. It is a city that is often obnoxiously over-hyped.

I was in Europe two years ago, and I swear I remember seeing stores dedicated to selling 'New York' merchandise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I'm kinda wondering where the "Boston overrated" talk is coming from. I've never heard anybody ever, including anyone in Boston, assert that Boston's nightlife is amazing or anything about it is the best. Most people here are quite accepting of the fact that a lot of stuff could be a lot better.Is this about the Red Sox or something? Overall, I find Boston to be very pleasant. I don't know how anyone can say Boston is more overrated than New York.
Yeah, I don't really know where people get this idea either.

Then again, as a native Bostonian, I guess I don't know much about how Boston is portrayed in other places...

Old 02-25-2014, 04:25 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
For the record, I think most parts of NYC are overrated, not just Manhattan. This includes north Brooklyn, and yes, south Brooklyn and central Brooklyn too. Staten Island and the Bronx aren't really "rated" to begin with, so maybe I wouldn't put the same label on them. Queens isn't bad, but not exceptionally good either.

And let's be real about NYC public transit too- it isn't that great. For all this talk about being some awesome world city, it definitely has the worst public transportation of any other international city- Seoul, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Berlin, London, any Chinese big city, they all make New York look like a joke in this department. And it is. Compared to other US cities it might be in the top 5 systems, but the transit is way way way overrated.

Yes there are lots of theaters and classical music and museums, blah blah blah. These things exist for tourists. NYC residents, how often do you go to the Guggenheim? Be honest.

I just really can't stand the NY-centricity of this forum. I like going there sometimes to hang out with friends and stay out super late at bars and stuff, but let's seriously put it in perspective. It's not that it's a bad place necessarily, it's just that for all the talk it gets, you'd really expect it to be much better. Hence, I think it's overrated.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:26 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Overrated: Boston. NYC to an extent.

Underrated: Kansas City

Old 02-25-2014, 04:30 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

Yeah, I don't really know where people get this idea either.

Then again, as a native Bostonian, I guess I don't know much about how Boston is portrayed in other places...
As a non-native Bostonian, I can say that the image of Boston in other parts of the country are (a) hooligans, (b) Cambridgey/Harvardy cultural/intellectual elitists, and (c) stuffy rich white people. None of it carries particularly positive connotations. If anything, I think Boston is underrated, though not as much as some of the midwest and rust belt cities.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:39 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
Quote:
For the record, I think most parts of NYC are overrated, not just Manhattan. This includes north Brooklyn, and yes, south Brooklyn and central Brooklyn too. Staten Island and the Bronx aren't really "rated" to begin with, so maybe I wouldn't put the same label on them. Queens isn't bad, but not exceptionally good either.

And let's be real about NYC public transit too- it isn't that great. For all this talk about being some awesome world city, it definitely has the worst public transportation of any other international city- Seoul, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Berlin, London, any Chinese big city, they all make New York look like a joke in this department. And it is. Compared to other US cities it might be in the top 5 systems, but the transit is way way way overrated.

Yes there are lots of theaters and classical music and museums, blah blah blah. These things exist for tourists. NYC residents, how often do you go to the Guggenheim? Be honest.

I just really can't stand the NY-centricity of this forum. I like going there sometimes to hang out with friends and stay out super late at bars and stuff, but let's seriously put it in perspective. It's not that it's a bad place necessarily, it's just that for all the talk it gets, you'd really expect it to be much better. Hence, I think it's overrated.
Strong argument!

Old 02-25-2014, 04:48 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:

I can see your points. To be sure New York, is, by far, the preeminent city of America for many, many things. However, I think for the vast majority of people it is not a practical place to live in for normal, day-to-day life.

To me, New York is exactly the kind of city that I think of with the common refrain, "it's a great place to visit, but I could never live there."

Old 02-25-2014, 05:15 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,149,700 times
Overrated: Boston, Long Island, and DC

Underrated: Philly, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:17 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,149,700 times
Quote:
As a non-native Bostonian, I can say that the image of Boston in other parts of the country are (a) hooligans, (b) Cambridgey/Harvardy cultural/intellectual elitists, and (c) stuffy rich white people. None of it carries particularly positive connotations. If anything, I think Boston is underrated, though not as much as some of the midwest and rust belt cities.
This is what I tend to think of and what the media tends to portray Boston people as. You also forgot to add arrogant and rude sports fans to the stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City