Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-12-2016, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Reputation: 8823

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
No, no they don't. Boston actually has two of the top six. Mass General (1) and Brigham and Women's (6). The only cities that come close is NYC (7 and 12) and SF (8 and 15).
Eh, given the controversy over US News' college ranking system, I wouldn't put much stock in their ability to comprehensively rank hospitals each year across the country, either. Honestly, these rankings are likely the only reason US News remains in business, so it's not like there isn't a profit motive behind this.

That's not to say Boston doesn't have great hospitals, but this notion that it has the "best medical care in the world" is really nothing more than hyperbole. There are plenty of cities across the US in which to receive top-notch healthcare.

 
Old 02-12-2016, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Cambridge, MA/London, UK
3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Reputation: 3363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Eh, given the controversy over US News' college ranking system, I wouldn't put much stock in their ability to comprehensively rank hospitals each year across the country, either. Honestly, these rankings are likely the only reason US News remains in business, so it's not like there isn't a profit motive behind this.

That's not to say Boston doesn't have great hospitals, but this notion that it has the "best medical care in the world" is really nothing more than hyperbole. There are plenty of cities across the US in which to receive top-notch healthcare.
There are of course plenty of cities not only across the US but the world that have excellent medical care. Within the industry though, Boston is consistently viewed as the elite city when it comes to medical infrastructure.

This opinion is not formed by US News Rankings (Even though the hospitals love them) but much more beyond that. The fact that Boston has basically had no other peer when it comes to NIH funding awards for over a decade is a major reason. Add to that the presence of what is considered the worlds elite Medical school (HMS) and its affiliation with those teaching hospitals and it is difficult to find another city with all those elements in play.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but I am just sharing what the general consensus is within the industry, as I work for the International wing of the largest HC system in Boston. The reason we even exist within the company is because the world comes to us for advice when it comes to HC delivery, infrastructure and care.
 
Old 02-12-2016, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Reputation: 8823
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
There are of course plenty of cities not only across the US but the world that have excellent medical care. Within the industry though, Boston is consistently viewed as the elite city when it comes to medical infrastructure.

This opinion is not formed by US News Rankings (Even though the hospitals love them) but much more beyond that. The fact that Boston has basically had no other peer when it comes to NIH funding awards for over a decade is a major reason. Add to that the presence of what is considered the worlds elite Medical school (HMS) and its affiliation with those teaching hospitals and it is difficult to find another city with all those elements in play.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but I am just sharing what the general consensus is within the industry, as I work for the International wing of the largest HC system in Boston. The reason we even exist within the company is because the world comes to us for advice when it comes to HC delivery, infrastructure and care.
I completely understand your point, but I think the "infrastructure" to which you refer (e.g., medical research and schooling) are both distinctly different from a specific measure of quality medical care. People who have attended top medical schools/residences can be found all over, and are not exclusive to Boston.

The Boston area is of course a prominent hub for medical research and education (and certainly NIH funding reflects that, although, even then, there are many other secondary hubs that deserve honorable mention) but again, there is nothing to suggest Boston has a "corner" on quality doctors and other practitioners.
 
Old 02-13-2016, 06:50 PM
 
102 posts, read 100,992 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
No, no they don't. Boston actually has two of the top six. Mass General (1) and Brigham and Women's (6). The only cities that come close is NYC (7 and 12) and SF (8 and 15).

Boston has many other smaller highly ranked specialty hospitals, it also has 5 Level 1 trauma centers. You mentioned the Boston Marathon Bombings before? There were 4 Level 1 trauma centers within a mile of the bombings. Compare that to a city like Austin Texas which has one Level 1 trauma center in the whole city.

In addition: Massachusetts has the highest percentage of doctors relative to the general population in the nation by far at 314.8 doctors per 100,000 people. The next closest is Maryland at 281.0. It also has the lowest uninsured rate in the nation at 4.4%

The Honor Roll of Best Hospitals 2015-16 - US News



Yes Philly has a top rated Children's hospital but Boston has the number 1 Children's hospital

Best Children's Hospitals | Top Pediatric Hospitals | US News Hospital Rankings


It's also 30% more expensive than Boston.

Btw, nature is absolutely debatable. Boston sits in the middle of New England which, if it were not for cold winters, would, IMO, trump central California which is an incredibly arid area with a very unappealing relationship with the ocean.

This is exactly why people say Boston is overrated, because Bostonians overrate it themselves. This is the arrogance people speak of when talking about Boston. It's not in a league or tier with NYC, Chicago, LA or SF.

1) Shocker. Two of the smallest states in the union have favorable percentage statistics. Rhode Island has the highest percentage of ancestral Italians, but not a place most are quick to associate with it.

2) It's not debatable at all. San Francisco has world class scenery and climate in every direction. Boston constantly uses Vermont and New Hampshire to it's advantage when the mountains people talk about are closer to Montreal than Boston. Bostonian's also think that New England is the only place in the nation with beautiful autumn colors.

The drives on I-90 or I-95 to Boston aren't any different scenery wise than I-95 through New Jersey, Philadelphia, Baltimore or DC. Even through Virginia. I really don't get this. Never have.

Ever drive through the Poconos or Lehigh Valley or Catskills or Adirondacks in the fall?

The Mountains in VT and NH are 2-3 hours from Boston.
 
Old 02-15-2016, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Reputation: 8996
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManWhoSoldtheWorld View Post
This is exactly why people say Boston is overrated, because Bostonians overrate it themselves. This is the arrogance people speak of when talking about Boston. It's not in a league or tier with NYC, Chicago, LA or SF.

1) Shocker. Two of the smallest states in the union have favorable percentage statistics. Rhode Island has the highest percentage of ancestral Italians, but not a place most are quick to associate with it.

2) It's not debatable at all. San Francisco has world class scenery and climate in every direction. Boston constantly uses Vermont and New Hampshire to it's advantage when the mountains people talk about are closer to Montreal than Boston. Bostonian's also think that New England is the only place in the nation with beautiful autumn colors.

The drives on I-90 or I-95 to Boston aren't any different scenery wise than I-95 through New Jersey, Philadelphia, Baltimore or DC. Even through Virginia. I really don't get this. Never have.

Ever drive through the Poconos or Lehigh Valley or Catskills or Adirondacks in the fall?

The Mountains in VT and NH are 2-3 hours from Boston.
Actually your post is why people think it's overrated. We Bostonians never compare our city to LA, NYC, or Chicago. You do that.

Btw, you exposed your geographical ignorance. Almost all of the best skiing in New England is closer to Boston than it is to Montreal. The exception being Jay Peak and Stowe.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 02-15-2016 at 07:50 PM..
 
Old 02-15-2016, 08:38 PM
 
311 posts, read 313,835 times
Reputation: 351
Boston is most overrated (runner-up D.C.).
Philly is most underrated (runner-up Baltimore).
One could make an argument that NYC is overrated but as others have said, it does offer pretty much what's advertised.
 
Old 02-15-2016, 08:44 PM
 
102 posts, read 100,992 times
Reputation: 53
Tally it up.

Another person saying Boston is overrated and Philadelphia underrated.

I guess authenticity really is what matters, even if it comes with some grit.
 
Old 02-15-2016, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Reputation: 37337
Boston Under-Rated
Philly Over-Rated
 
Old 02-15-2016, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Reputation: 3668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Boston Under-Rated
Philly Over-Rated
I never get anybody who claims Philly to be overrated lol. In real life, most people bash Philadelphia and certainly don't give it enough praise. It's certainly a great city that doesn't get the credit it's due, that's for sure.

Boston gets plenty of credit, so does NYC, DC, LA, SF, Chicago, Miami, etc.
 
Old 02-15-2016, 09:55 PM
 
102 posts, read 100,992 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
I never get anybody who claims Philly to be overrated lol. In real life, most people bash Philadelphia and certainly don't give it enough praise. It's certainly a great city that doesn't get the credit it's due, that's for sure.

Boston gets plenty of credit, so does NYC, DC, LA, SF, Chicago, Miami, etc.

Outside of Harvard and MIT, I don't see why.

The climate sucks, the food scene outside seafood is average, the nightlife is subpar, the sports scene is overrated because it's full of bandwagoners, and the history is second to Philadelphia.

It's a top ten city, but certainly not the city locals make it out to be, especially for the cost. That's the biggest thing about it. It's cost is outrageous for a city so average.

I also think Las Vegas is overrated as well. Just not my scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top