Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-15-2016, 10:17 PM
 
7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Reputation: 6338

Advertisements

Boston is historic, beautiful, and walkable, but something is missing from the city that I can't describe. As someone said, it doesn't feel "authentic" or "real". It doesn't have a spark to it. I hate to use the words "bland" or "sterile", but it's kind of that. There's no real edge to the city and I'm not talking about having grit or crime or a lot of hipsters.

 
Old 02-15-2016, 10:27 PM
 
102 posts, read 100,992 times
Reputation: 53
The biggest difference between Philadelphia and Boston is that grit people talk about.

I like grit. One has it, the other doesn't. The one that has it wins.

The grit makes it feel more real to me. More my own. No bull****. No facade. What you see is what you get, but it's also got a sophistication to it as well. It's cool. It's a very intellectual, liberal and also old money city with tons of history that has a gritty swagger to it that is hard to describe.

Philadelphia is a gritter and yes, realer version of Boston.

Boston is a cleaner more sterile version of Philadelphia.

Boston seems too pristine to me. It's certainly very nice, but not for me.
 
Old 02-16-2016, 05:29 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Reputation: 8996
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Overrated: Skowhegan, ME

Underrated: New York City, NY
You've obviously never been to the Skowhegan Fair.

Goin' on 200 years!

Skowhegan State Fair
 
Old 02-16-2016, 06:07 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Reputation: 8996
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManWhoSoldtheWorld View Post
Outside of Harvard and MIT, I don't see why.
Why don't you try to learn why.

Here, I'll try to explain it to you:

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/242159

https://www.atkearney.com/documents/...=1397427122551

The World

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global..._Centres_Index

Innovation Cities™ Index 2015 : Global from 2thinknow City Rankings List » Innovation Cities Program & Index: City Innovation for USA, Canada, Australia/NZ, Europe, Asia, Latin America, Mid-East

Alpha, Beta and Gamma cities (updated 2015) | Experience cities like a local!

Quote:
The climate sucks, the food scene outside seafood is average, the nightlife is subpar, the sports scene is overrated because it's full of bandwagoners, and the history is second to Philadelphia.
Overrated?!?!?!? 9 rings in all four sports in a fifteen year span is unprecedented and you think it's overrated?

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 02-16-2016 at 06:30 AM..
 
Old 02-16-2016, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Cambridge, MA/London, UK
3,862 posts, read 5,285,733 times
Reputation: 3363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smottsarazzi View Post
Why are you championing the financial industry? Nothing but crooks and criminals. They're the reason the country is in such terrible shape. Sorry if nobody cares about Boston's insignificant position in finance.

Probably because the Celtics and Bruins couldn't sell out before they won their championships. Ever think of that? Boston sports scene is overrated. It's full of bandwagon fans.

Los Angeles also has 9 titles since 2000. Happen to realize that?

If notoriously awful sports town Phoenix suddenly wins 9 titles in 16 years, does that mean it's the best sports town? No. It doesn't. It has no bearing on local fan passion and loyalty.

Pro sports teams are composed of athletes not from the city they play for.

The Boston sports scene is overrated because the Celtics and Bruins did not sell out before they won championships. Now all the sudden they're the best? Gimme a break.

9 titles in 15 years can happen to any city. Thats the point.

Phoenix could win 9 titles in 16 years while Buffalo wins nothing. You really think Phoenix becomes a better sports town than Buffalo? Or Cleveland? Philadelphia?

Haha Mister Fart you are an animal! Gotta admire how psychotic you are about creating screen names to say the same thing over and over again. I applaud the effort!
 
Old 02-16-2016, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Cambridge, MA/London, UK
3,862 posts, read 5,285,733 times
Reputation: 3363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I completely understand your point, but I think the "infrastructure" to which you refer (e.g., medical research and schooling) are both distinctly different from a specific measure of quality medical care. People who have attended top medical schools/residences can be found all over, and are not exclusive to Boston.

The Boston area is of course a prominent hub for medical research and education (and certainly NIH funding reflects that, although, even then, there are many other secondary hubs that deserve honorable mention) but again, there is nothing to suggest Boston has a "corner" on quality doctors and other practitioners.
I do not disagree in any way, as I mentioned quality medical care can be found worldwide. When I mention HMS, it is less about who is graduating from those programs (As you mentioned they could end up anywhere) but more about who is teaching them while they are here. The affiliations between HMS and the Teaching Hospitals are a big reason why the quality of care is so high in the Boston area. The students may end up elsewhere for their residency, but the faculty members teaching them are fixtures in the city and medical community.
 
Old 02-16-2016, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Providence, RI
12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Reputation: 14129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smottsarazzi View Post
Why are you championing the financial industry? Nothing but crooks and criminals. They're the reason the country is in such terrible shape. Sorry if nobody cares about Boston's insignificant position in finance.
Well, most of the people impacted by the finance sector care (or should care). It's pretty ignorant to say that nobody cares or that Boston's position is "insignificant."

Quote:
Probably because the Celtics and Bruins couldn't sell out before they won their championships. Ever think of that? Boston sports scene is overrated. It's full of bandwagon fans.
Eh, teams go through hot and cold stretches in terms of support and Boston's no exception. However, most people involved in any of the major sports will tell you that Boston's one of the best sports towns in the country. Doc Rivers last week talked about game 6 of the 2012 Conference Finals when the Celtics were getting blown out and the fans gave the team a standing ovation because A) the team overachieved and B) They new it was likely the end of an era. Hardly a bandwagon move.

"We got our butt kicked. And the fans created a special moment for us because they got it. And one thing you realize here over any other place in my opinion is the fans get it. And that's really cool." -Doc Rivers (as the current coach of the Clippers)

Over the last 100 years, it's hard to argue that Boston isn't one of the more passionate sports towns in the country.

Quote:
Los Angeles also has 9 titles since 2000. Happen to realize that?
They also have 50% more professional franchises than Boston (no NFL, but 2 in each of the other 3 sports. So 6 pro franchises to Boston's 4). Happen to realize that? It's also a city that's just not nearly as passionate about its sports as Boston.

Quote:
If notoriously awful sports town Phoenix suddenly wins 9 titles in 16 years, does that mean it's the best sports town? No. It doesn't. It has no bearing on local fan passion and loyalty.
Sure it doesn't. But Bosotn IS one of the most passionate and loyal towns. How many franchises has Boston lost due to lack of support? Each of the teams in town is considered to be among the elite franchises in its league- not necessarily in terms of wins this year, but in terms of history, roots in the region, etc. You could easily make the case that the Patriots are the least storied franchise in town and they've appeared in more super bowls than anyone else in the NFL (tied with four other teams at 8) and won more than all but 3 NFL teams (tied with 3 teams at 4 wins).

Quote:
The Boston sports scene is overrated because the Celtics and Bruins did not sell out before they won championships. Now all the sudden they're the best? Gimme a break.
Most teams don't sell out during long stretches of no success. I'm not talking about gaps between championships or even playoff runs. I'm talking about historically bad teams. The Celtics were deplorable in the 90s after Bird left. They won a total of 2 playoff games between 1992-2002. only two playoff berths in that span. As Paul Pierce started to come into his own, the teams fared better 2002-2004, but flopped famously in 05 and 06. That failure and disappointment among fans was what kicked off the famous trades for Garnett and Allen.

The Bruins fared better statistically, but leading up to 2011 they underachieved and failed to meet potential for a consistently long run. That's the type of team that alienates fans.

The point is, even great franchises have low periods. Just because the Celtics and Bruins went through them before championships doesn't mean that they are "bandwagon fans." It means that fans showed their displeasure with the disappointing teams and owners realized that they need to be better.

Quote:
9 titles in 15 years can happen to any city. Thats the point.
Phoenix could win 9 titles in 16 years while Buffalo wins nothing. You really think Phoenix becomes a better sports town than Buffalo? Or Cleveland? Philadelphia?
I disagree. A championship or two can happen in any city. I'd even argue that the 2013 Red Sox were something of a fluke. But 9 championships in 15 years requires either more franchises than the typical sports town (hi, LA) or ownership groups that know that they need to be successful on the field to keep the money coming in because the fans in town are passionate and won't tolerate a mediocre product. Even then, you have to get lucky sometimes and the stars have to align for all franchises to be good at the ame time. Still, Phoenix won't see that many championships because they don't have a fan base that will push owners to build that type of success.

Quote:
Sorry but if Boston is the best sports town you're gonna at least have to sell out your games before you win a title. Don't you think? What's your next excuse?
No city sells out all at all of their venues for all of their sports, all the time. I agree that 9 championships doesn't make Boston the "best" sports town. I would also only go as far as to say that Boston is one of the best sports towns. Saying it's THE best is far, far, far too subjective to really argue. But to say that it's not the best or one of the best because they don't sell out every game all the time is asinine. No city does. Not, Philadelphia, New York, Chicago, Cleveland, LA, or anyone else.
 
Old 02-16-2016, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Medfid
6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Reputation: 5242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Boston is historic, beautiful, and walkable, but something is missing from the city that I can't describe. As someone said, it doesn't feel "authentic" or "real". It doesn't have a spark to it. I hate to use the words "bland" or "sterile", but it's kind of that. There's no real edge to the city and I'm not talking about having grit or crime or a lot of hipsters.
 
Old 02-16-2016, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Reputation: 8996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smottsarazzi View Post
Why are you championing the financial industry? Nothing but crooks and criminals. They're the reason the country is in such terrible shape. Sorry if nobody cares about Boston's insignificant position in finance.

Probably because the Celtics and Bruins couldn't sell out before they won their championships. Ever think of that? Boston sports scene is overrated. It's full of bandwagon fans.

Los Angeles also has 9 titles since 2000. Happen to realize that?

If notoriously awful sports town Phoenix suddenly wins 9 titles in 16 years, does that mean it's the best sports town? No. It doesn't. It has no bearing on local fan passion and loyalty.

Pro sports teams are composed of athletes not from the city they play for.

The Boston sports scene is overrated because the Celtics and Bruins did not sell out before they won championships. Now all the sudden they're the best? Gimme a break.

9 titles in 15 years can happen to any city. Thats the point.

Phoenix could win 9 titles in 16 years while Buffalo wins nothing. You really think Phoenix becomes a better sports town than Buffalo? Or Cleveland? Philadelphia?

Sorry but if Boston is the best sports town you're gonna at least have to sell out your games before you win a title. Don't you think? What's your next excuse?
Unless you can show me where I said anything about Boston being the best sports town in America you are being an idiot.
 
Old 02-16-2016, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Reputation: 8996
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
They are a bunch of Philly homers totally depressed about their city getting no love. A few mature exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top