Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 04:31 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,828,072 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee has been mentioned innumerable times here as an underrated city. I would agree with that there seems be a strong feeling with posters that milwaukee suffers being in chicago's shaddow I contend that much of what makes milw work well is its very closeness to chicagoland and its huge population base. Milw would be a vastly different city if chicago wasn't a mere 90 mi down the road. Milw benefits by being part of tremendous urban region on the southwest shores of lk michigan

For what's worth, I don't see milw as being underrated among chicagoans. We tend to like our northern nfeighbor and take advantage of its fine offerings

Old 02-23-2016, 07:14 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,910 times
Overrated: Minneapolis
Underrated: Cleveland

Old 02-23-2016, 07:23 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Milwaukee has been mentioned innumerable times here as an underrated city. I would agree with that there seems be a strong feeling with posters that milwaukee suffers being in chicago's shaddow I contend that much of what makes milw work well is its very closeness to chicagoland and its huge population base. Milw would be a vastly different city if chicago wasn't a mere 90 mi down the road. Milw benefits by being part of tremendous urban region on the southwest shores of lk michigan

For what's worth, I don't see milw as being underrated among chicagoans. We tend to like our northern nfeighbor and take advantage of its fine offerings

I definitely feel Milwaukee benefits from its close proximity to Chicago. I don't think it's underrated by Chicagoland residents....I know many who come up to Milwaukee to spend a Saturday or a week-end. I also know more from Chicago are buying condos in Milwaukee's Third Ward, to spend their week-ends there. Not really sure how many, but I've met a number. The Third Ward is a definite draw.

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...ward+riverwalk

Old 02-23-2016, 07:32 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,910 times
Most people I know of in Chicago either don't think of Milwaukee at all, outside of the "cheesehead" Packer fans, or Cubs fans who like to jib Brewer fans.

Otherwise it is always good things like summer fest or all the cool bars there.

I've never really heard people put down Milwaukee in Chicago, the way people in The Bay put down Sacramento, for example(similar sized metros with in similar proximity to each other).

Old 02-24-2016, 09:16 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,828,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I definitely feel Milwaukee benefits from its close proximity to Chicago. I don't think it's underrated by Chicagoland residents....I know many who come up to Milwaukee to spend a Saturday or a week-end. I also know more from Chicago are buying condos in Milwaukee's Third Ward, to spend their week-ends there. Not really sure how many, but I've met a number. The Third Ward is a definite draw.

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...ward+riverwalk
the harbor is the attraction.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:18 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,971,589 times
Indianapolis receives a lot of flack as a boring city, I think people just hear that and believe it without really trying to explore the city, or give it a real shot.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:03 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Overrated: Minneapolis
Underrated: Cleveland
Is your sole purpose on CD to proclaim how badly you hate Minneapolis? It's perplexing to me why you're so passionate and dedicated to it. I mean, I give you props for the time you spend talking about a city you don't care for at all.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:10 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Indianapolis receives a lot of flack as a boring city, I think people just hear that and believe it without really trying to explore the city, or give it a real shot.
It's not nearly as bad as it's made out to be. Indianapolis is a big conference hub, so the most that many people see of Minneapolis is sterile hotels and conference centers. It doesn't help the reputation.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:08 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Is your sole purpose on CD to proclaim how badly you hate Minneapolis? It's perplexing to me why you're so passionate and dedicated to it. I mean, I give you props for the time you spend talking about a city you don't care for at all.

Minneapolis stole his lunch money, gave him a wedgie and pushed him into a mud puddle when he was little

Old 02-24-2016, 11:24 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Overrated: Indianapolis, Cleveland

Underrated: Minneapolis, Columbus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City