Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 09:00 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Overrated: Indianapolis, Cleveland

Underrated: Minneapolis, Columbus
Are you serious? No one raves about Indianapolis. People still refer to it as Naptown, even though that's pretty far from the truth.

I agree with Minneapolis being underrated, and to an extent Columbus as well.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:18 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Indianapolis receives a lot of flack as a boring city, I think people just hear that and believe it without really trying to explore the city, or give it a real shot.
This is true for pretty much all of the Midwest outside of Chicago. Chicago is just leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else in the region in terms of stature. Middle America is referred to as "fly over country" for a reason. I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment, but I can see where it stems from.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:24 PM

1,186 posts, read 965,958 times
Overrated:

Manhattan - I say this cautiously, but I think Manhattan tends to be over-hyped by its residents, especially the younger ones. Many people I've met are in love with the idea of living IN MANHATTAN and look askance at anything that isn't physically located on the island. As a 20-something, I found that my peers tend to write off everything other than Manhattan and Brooklyn, even if it means paying an extra thousand or more a month to live in a pre-war walkup. There's nothing wrong with Manhattan per se, but there are great qualities shared by neighboring areas that people tend to ignore.

Underrated:

Not really cities but...

Parts of Westchester County - 20-somethings tend to write it off as the 'suburbs' or a place for a random weekend getaway, but there's something to be said for plenty of green space and a relatively short (30-40min) commute to Manhattan without having to actually *live* in Manhattan.

Parts of the Jersey waterfront - I say this cautiously, but most Manhattanites write off Jersey altogether. The area along the waterfront is very peaceful, has a great view of the city, green space and cheaper rents on average for newer apartments.

Cities:

Minneapolis - Great town, appreciated by its residents but not really by the rest of the country.

Last edited by vladlensky; 02-25-2016 at 03:33 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 06:42 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Is your sole purpose on CD to proclaim how badly you hate Minneapolis? It's perplexing to me why you're so passionate and dedicated to it. I mean, I give you props for the time you spend talking about a city you don't care for at all.

This is a thread talking about over-rated and underrated cities.

Other people have noted Minneapolis is overrated on this thread as well.

I am not quite sure why you take issue with this, only when I point it out.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:24 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
This is a thread talking about over-rated and underrated cities.

Other people have noted Minneapolis is overrated on this thread as well.

I am not quite sure why you take issue with this, only when I point it out.

Classic WizardOfRadical response to something which he has no sensible rebuttal: feign obtusity.

Let's take a look at your most recent posts and see how many contain some sort of snide remark about Minneapolis...

Just counted. 18 in February alone. Dude, what's your agenda?

Old 02-25-2016, 10:07 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
To his point Cleverfield isn't much of a fan either. Oh well....

I'm pretty sure I already voted on this extremely long thread, but here's my 2016 take:

Overrated (walks on eggshells):

Seattle. I only say this because although it's an amazing city with amazing qualities, it's FINALLY getting the attention it so badly craves/deserves.....and then some. Any city that is the darling of America would make it "overrated" in my eyes, no matter how incredible the place. It's just been a darling for so long now (at least since Sleepless in Seattle).

Underrated:

Too many to list, but I'll go with one that everyone seems to hate right now and it doesn't deserve all of the negativity it's been getting for things almost all cities have to some degree (sorta the opposite situation as above)..............Chicago.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Classic WizardOfRadical response to something which he has no sensible rebuttal: feign obtusity.

Let's take a look at your most recent posts and see how many contain some sort of snide remark about Minneapolis...

Just counted. 18 in February alone. Dude, what's your agenda?

Answer my DM and I will tell you

Old 02-26-2016, 12:30 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
This is true for pretty much all of the Midwest outside of Chicago. Chicago is just leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else in the region in terms of stature. Middle America is referred to as "fly over country" for a reason. I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment, but I can see where it stems from.
Tell me, what reason is that? The Midwest is the 3rd most densely populated area in the country following the North East/Mid Atlantic Corridor on the East Coast and Southern California. After that it's the Midwest, all day. I don't see where you could agree at all, unless you're talking about Nebraska and Kansas and Iowa.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:02 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Answer my DM and I will tell you
Or you could just, you know, explain here in the public forum. Which is kind of the point of a forum.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Or you could just, you know, explain here in the public forum. Which is kind of the point of a forum.
I don't owe anyone an explanation. Minneapolis is the most over-rated cities in the United States by far.

You seem upset when I point this fact out. If you want to get into a discussion about it you can respond to my DM. Or continue with the passive-aggressive thing. Makes no difference to me either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City