Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 07:54 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Overrated: Boston
Underrated: Philly
Agreed

Old 05-21-2016, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Underrated: Philly

Common theme in this thread. I would agree with it.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:00 AM

164 posts, read 170,152 times
Underrated: Portland, Maine

Old 05-22-2016, 09:22 PM

193 posts, read 204,170 times
Overrated--Washington, D.C.

Underrated--Baltimore, MD

Old 05-23-2016, 09:18 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicTao View Post
Underrated: Portland, Maine
Unless we're talking 15-20 years ago, I can't think of many small cities of 65,000 (metro- vastly inflated 500k) that get as much positive press and notoriety as Portland. Asheville maybe? Yes, it's a nice place. No, it doesn't get as much recognition as Boston, New York, Philadelphia, or DC. But it gets as much, if not more positive recognition than most of its peer cities. The "underrated" moniker doesn't really work for Portland, ME.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:23 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Unless we're talking 15-20 years ago, I can't think of many small cities of 65,000 (metro- vastly inflated 500k) that get as much positive press and notoriety as Portland. Asheville maybe?
I'd throw in Santa Fe and Savannah.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:07 AM

233 posts, read 368,596 times
Guess I don't understand the definition of overrated. Other than this board, there's not much about the concept related to a city.

Boston: A beautiful sea-side city with great architecture, hundreds of thousands of beautiful college girls and guys, top financial, high-tech and bio med center, great job prospects for almost anyone, low crime rate and one of the lowest murder rates in the USA for a large city, great for walking, highly functional multi-line subway and good public transportation, great airport with lots of non-stop international flights, top companies in many fields, booming construction sector - what's to "overrate"?

Old 05-23-2016, 10:25 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Underrated: New Haven, Providence, Hartford, Jersey City ?

Old 05-23-2016, 10:36 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Underrated: New Haven, Providence, Hartford, Jersey City ?
Why is Boston rated highly? New Haven, Providence, Hartford, why aren't they rated highly?

Old 05-23-2016, 11:36 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd throw in Santa Fe and Savannah.
Agreed. But that's very good company, and it still makes me wonder just how, exactly, is Portland "underrated."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
Guess I don't understand the definition of overrated. Other than this board, there's not much about the concept related to a city.

Boston: A beautiful sea-side city with great architecture, hundreds of thousands of beautiful college girls and guys, top financial, high-tech and bio med center, great job prospects for almost anyone, low crime rate and one of the lowest murder rates in the USA for a large city, great for walking, highly functional multi-line subway and good public transportation, great airport with lots of non-stop international flights, top companies in many fields, booming construction sector - what's to "overrate"?
I don't disagree with your assessment at all. However, I can kind of see where people are coming from. I think a lot of it boils down to Boston vs. Philadelphia (New York Being the obvious outlier in the region) There is a gap between the two, but I don't know that it's as pronounced as the perception. Looking at both cities as places to live, Philadelphia offers a lot more bang for your buck. For the average American, that's pretty important. I agree that Boston wins on a lot of head-to-heads, but Philadelphia offers a reasonably comparable product (beautiful build environment, solid economy, excellent health care, great higher ed., good transit, etc.) at a much lower cost.

As someone who would choose Boston over almost any city on this list (I'd give NYC a shot- I love it there), I can see where the "overrated" moniker might come from. Everything you've said is true, but you can find reasonable alternatives to a lot of Boston in Philadelphia. Crime in Philadelphia isn't bad enough to make the gap a big issue. Boston has a lot of the top companies, but Philadelphia is no slouch. I think that matters more for companies looking to relocate (i.e. GE) than it matters for individuals who likely will work where they can find work. Both have booming construction sectors (you could argue Philadelphia has even more than Boston). Boston's airport is superior to Philadelphia (20 years ago, I wouldn't have said that), but EWR is within driving distance of Philadelphia so it's not like Philadelphia lacks access to international flights. I prefer Boston, but given the CoL (or visiting) gap, I can see why the results are what they are.

My personal take is that DC is the more overrated city to live in (having lived in both Boston and DC), but one of the best to visit. The COL in DC is becoming staggeringly high (on par with or exceeding Boston in many cases), and I think the actual urban living experience in Boston is better. Especially close to the city center. I also think Boston has better proximity to the outdoors as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City