Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 10:28 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,336,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Though that's true for Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn, but I actually find Queens rather underrated.

I agree QUEENS and Bronx are underrated. It's MANHATTAN that makes NYC seem overrated.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:12 PM

465 posts, read 657,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I take it that you didn't see much of the city.
I saw enough of it to know that I'd hate living there. I went to school with people from Milwaukee and none of the. Had anything positive to say about it. In fact they all live in DC now.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:16 PM

11 posts, read 18,685 times
Overrated to the core: Boston!

Old 03-02-2014, 12:27 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
I saw enough of it to know that I'd hate living there. I went to school with people from Milwaukee and none of the. Had anything positive to say about it. In fact they all live in DC now.
I'd move to MKE in a heartbeat. I love it there. Great coffee shops and great beaches, what else do I need? Oh, yeah, all the awesome restaurants and bars on the city's Eastside, fabulous architecture (I love the Polish cathedrals), lively summer festivals, and one of the best art museums in the world.

Milwaukee is not the crumbling, Miller-guzzling, blue-collar city that it's often assumed to be.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:48 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Someone please explain to me why Boston is overrated. I still just don't see it. People hardly know anything at all about Boston, other than some vague revolutionary things that you feel like you should know because you're American so you take a trip to Boston to walk the Freed Trail, then go home and forget about everything except Paul Revere.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:29 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Someone please explain to me why Boston is overrated. I still just don't see it. People hardly know anything at all about Boston, other than some vague revolutionary things that you feel like you should know because you're American so you take a trip to Boston to walk the Freed Trail, then go home and forget about everything except Paul Revere.
You're not understanding why some think of Boston as overrated probably because you live there, just a thought. Boston is an exceptional American city, but it's not for everyone.

-Some might think it's overrated because of the astronomical cost of living when in comes to rent and real estate.
-Many prefer more modern and contemporary cities over Boston, and see all of its old settlement and homes as overrated.
-Somebody from LA or NY may think its too provincial
-To somebody from anywhere in the Sunbelt probably might think its too cold and gloomy.
-Somebody from Chicago, New Orleans, or even Atlanta may think it has weak nightlife, bars close too early.
-To somebody from Houston or Phoenix, they may see Boston has having really horrible road infrastructure (and in my opinion it certainly does, even with the Big Dig).

You're going to find ignorant, varied, boosted, and some thoughtful opinions on Boston. Having grown up around there I just see it for what it is. Boston is neither underrated nor overrated to me, and all cities are going to have flaws. Myself, I prefer what's outside of Boston (North Shore/Cape Cod etc.) than what's in the city itself. I think Boston has the nicest collection suburbs/exurbs in country.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-02-2014 at 02:00 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 01:36 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I find it strange that I had a dream about taking a road trip up into Philly a couple of nights ago....And I must say, its skyline looked even bigger when I was approaching it on the highway. Felt an aura of excitement as I saw the place too. I've never been to Philly (Though I am very interested) and only saw its skyline briefly once traveling from Atlantic City in reality. Just thought I shared lol.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:49 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I find it strange that I had a dream about taking a road trip up into Philly a couple of nights ago....And I must say, its skyline looked even bigger when I was approaching it on the highway. Felt an aura of excitement as I saw the place too. I've never been to Philly (Though I am very interested) and only saw its skyline briefly once traveling from Atlantic City in reality. Just thought I shared lol.
I agree, I friggin LOVE Philly's contemporary skyline, it's one of my favorites. I like the approach into the city coming up I-95 north.

Philly Skyline Oct 2011 - YouTube

Old 03-02-2014, 02:50 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:

You're not understanding why some think of Boston as overrated probably because you live there, just a thought. Boston is an exceptional American city, but it's not for everyone.
I think Boston IS definitely an exceptional city. It is exceptional as a city of commerce, a state capital and an unofficial capital of an entire region: New England, a city of history, fine arts, sports, architecture, gardens, food, and music.

Why do people consider Boston "overrated" ? Why do people consider Philadelphia "underrated" for that matter?

I think it's all about perception. Many people perceive Boston as this big city that is wealthy, educated, clean, refined and beautiful ... a world class city. Boston - the "Athens of America" - home of the best universities, etc. Many people who have never been to Philly think it's dirty ("Philthadelphia"), a rusting post industrial city like Detroit and Buffalo, full of crime, drugs and ghettoes.

People may be disappointed in Boston because it's smaller than they expected and rather provincial. Boston has a population of something like 640,000 ... it isn't even in the top 20 list of US cities by population. Let me repeat: not even in the top 20. By comparison, Philadelphia is a city of close to 1.6 million people - 5th most populous in the US - in a metro area of over 6 million. Visitors to Philly are amazed by it's skyline, architecture, museums, historic neighborhoods, restaurant and night-life scene.

So, in my view when people visit Boston they realize it's not that big a city, doesn't have an impressive skyline, is not as vibrant and colorful as they were expecting.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:58 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:

-Some might think it's overrated because of the astronomical cost of living when in comes to rent and real estate.
-Many prefer more modern and contemporary cities over Boston, and see all of its old settlement and homes as overrated.
-Somebody from LA or NY may think its too provincial
-To somebody from anywhere in the Sunbelt probably might think its too cold and gloomy.
-Somebody from Chicago, New Orleans, or even Atlanta may think it has weak nightlife, bars close too early.
-To somebody from Houston or Phoenix, they may see Boston has having really horrible road infrastructure (and in my opinion it certainly does, even with the Big Dig).

You're going to find ignorant, varied, boosted, and some thoughtful opinions on Boston. Having grown up around there I just see it for what it is. Boston is neither underrated nor overrated to me, and all cities are going to have flaws. Myself, I prefer what's outside of Boston (North Shore/Cape Cod etc.) than what's in the city itself. I think Boston has the nicest collection suburbs/exurbs in country.
But when talking about overratedness, the idea is you have something in your mind of a place before you go there and it doesn't meet your expectations. I am not a native Bostonian, most stuff I ever heard about Boston (which was very limited) wasn't really all that positive. Boston is not known for being a wild party city, and it isn't. It's not known for a fantastic food scene, and it doesn't have one. It's not known for a lot of things that places like NY or Chicago or LA are known for. There is no false pretense. It's known for universities, and it has tons of them and top universities at that. Is this overrated? It's known for a nice historic center. I really don't think anyone who doesn't live in Boston can tell you much about the city outside of Harvard and Paul Revere.

I think people are taking this "overrated" discussion and just using to talk about "cities I don't like."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City