Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-02-2014, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Cleveland and Columbus OH
11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Reputation: 10385

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think Boston IS definitely an exceptional city. It is exceptional as a city of commerce, a state capital and an unofficial capital of an entire region: New England, a city of history, fine arts, sports, architecture, gardens, food, and music.

Why do people consider Boston "overrated" ? Why do people consider Philadelphia "underrated" for that matter?

I think it's all about perception. Many people perceive Boston as this big city that is wealthy, educated, clean, refined and beautiful ... a world class city. Boston - the "Athens of America" - home of the best universities, etc. Many people who have never been to Philly think it's dirty ("Philthadelphia"), a rusting post industrial city like Detroit and Buffalo, full of crime, drugs and ghettoes.

People may be disappointed in Boston because it's smaller than they expected and rather provincial. Boston has a population of something like 640,000 ... it isn't even in the top 20 list of US cities by population. Let me repeat: not even in the top 20. By comparison, Philadelphia is a city of close to 1.6 million people - 5th most populous in the US - in a metro area of over 6 million. Visitors to Philly are amazed by it's skyline, architecture, museums, historic neighborhoods, restaurant and night-life scene.

So, in my view when people visit Boston they realize it's not that big a city, doesn't have an impressive skyline, is not as vibrant and colorful as they were expecting.
Your point about the size of Boston (40 some square miles of city proper) is irrelevant. Boston's limits don't include Cambridge, Somerville, Quincy, Brookline, a number of other highly populated areas. These places are just as much a part of "Boston" as any neighborhood in the arbitrary limits. Boston's MSA is over 4.5 million. That's #10 in the country. I'm curious why you mention Philly's MSA to boost its numbers, but don't do the same for Boston. Only mentioning that Boston not even the 20th largest city is really not telling the whole story. By your logic, Jacksonville should be a much more urban, cosmopolitan place than Boston.

And nobody goes to Boston and says, "well, I liked it, but the skyline wasn't that great. I wouldn't go back." I'll never understand some of you people and your obsession with the single most irrelevant aspect of what makes a city great.

And what the hell does "provincial" even mean?

I think people just like hating on Boston. I mean, I get it. I'm not a native Bostonian (lived in Boston for 1.5 years only), I hate Tom Brady too, but I just can't see what any of you guys are talking about.

 
Old 03-02-2014, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Auburn, New York
1,772 posts, read 3,517,476 times
Reputation: 3076
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
You're not understanding why some think of Boston as overrated probably because you live there, just a thought. Boston is an exceptional American city, but it's not for everyone.

-Some might think it's overrated because of the astronomical cost of living when in comes to rent and real estate.
Exactly. There's nothing at all wrong with Boston, I just don't think that its amenities quite equal the cost of living.
 
Old 03-02-2014, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Cleveland and Columbus OH
11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Reputation: 10385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Exactly. There's nothing at all wrong with Boston, I just don't think that its amenities quite equal the cost of living.
So this makes it the single most overrated city in the entire northern United States? Trust me, I know my rent is more than I'd like it to be, but there are decent amenities.
 
Old 03-02-2014, 03:40 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Reputation: 15935
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Your point about the size of Boston (40 some square miles of city proper) is irrelevant. Boston's limits don't include Cambridge, Somerville, Quincy, Brookline, a number of other highly populated areas. These places are just as much a part of "Boston" as any neighborhood in the arbitrary limits. Boston's MSA is over 4.5 million. That's #10 in the country. I'm curious why you mention Philly's MSA to boost its numbers, but don't do the same for Boston. Only mentioning that Boston not even the 20th largest city is really not telling the whole story. By your logic, Jacksonville should be a much more urban, cosmopolitan place than Boston.

And nobody goes to Boston and says, "well, I liked it, but the skyline wasn't that great. I wouldn't go back." I'll never understand some of you people and your obsession with the single most irrelevant aspect of what makes a city great.

And what the hell does "provincial" even mean?

I think people just like hating on Boston. I mean, I get it. I'm not a native Bostonian (lived in Boston for 1.5 years only), I hate Tom Brady too, but I just can't see what any of you guys are talking about.
I am not "hating" on Boston. In my very first paragraph I described it as an exceptional city. I listed many of it's wonderful attributes.

The problem is why on earth would people consider Boston a "overrated" city? I am describing a possible reason: it does not appear a "big" or "urban" or "vast" or a "impressive" because of it's size. That's all. I have extrapolated this information from people who have visited Bean Town. My favorite uncle lived there for many years while his wife was getting her post-graduate degrees from Harvard. He lived in the Back Bay neighborhood.

Yes, a city's skyline is important. That is why there are websites like www.skyscrapercity.com and www.skyscraperpage.com and so many, many threads right here on city-data on skylines and skyscrapers. It's one of the things cities like New York, Chicago, Seattle, San Fransciso, and Miami take great pride in - these structures of the manifestation of civic pride and civic vitality. Skyscrapers are like jewel's in a city's crown ... or "trophies" if you will. Are you suggesting the architecture of a city is irrelevant? But, perhaps you make a point: skylines alone do not necessarily attract international tourism or population growth.
 
Old 03-02-2014, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Cleveland and Columbus OH
11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Reputation: 10385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I am not "hating" on Boston. In my very first paragraph I described it as an exceptional city. I listed many of it's wonderful attributes.

The problem is why on earth would people consider Boston a "overrated" city? I am describing a possible reason: it does not appear a "big" or "urban" or "vast" or a "impressive" because of it's size. That's all. I have extrapolated this information from people who have visited Bean Town. My favorite uncle lived there for many years while his wife was getting her post-graduate degrees from Harvard. He lived in the Back Bay neighborhood.

Yes, a city's skyline is important. That is why there are websites like www.skyscrapercity.com and www.skyscraperpage.com and so many, many threads right here on city-data on skylines and skyscrapers. It's one of the things cities like New York, Chicago, Seattle, San Fransciso, and Miami take great pride in - these structures of the manifestation of civic pride and civic vitality. Skyscrapers are like jewel's in a city's crown ... or "trophies" if you will. Are you suggesting the architecture of a city is irrelevant? But, perhaps you make a point: skylines alone do not necessarily attract international tourism or population growth.
Skylines are not important at all. Just because some people obsess over them and make websites doesn't make them at all important. There are a lot of sites about a lot of things out there- 99% of it is rubbish.
 
Old 03-02-2014, 05:53 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Reputation: 15935
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Skylines are not important at all. Just because some people obsess over them and make websites doesn't make them at all important. There are a lot of sites about a lot of things out there- 99% of it is rubbish.
Okay, you have a right to your opinion. I just wanted to express mine.
 
Old 03-02-2014, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Medfid
6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Reputation: 5242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I am not "hating" on Boston. In my very first paragraph I described it as an exceptional city. I listed many of it's wonderful attributes.

The problem is why on earth would people consider Boston a "overrated" city? I am describing a possible reason: it does not appear a "big" or "urban" or "vast" or a "impressive" because of it's size. That's all. I have extrapolated this information from people who have visited Bean Town. My favorite uncle lived there for many years while his wife was getting her post-graduate degrees from Harvard. He lived in the Back Bay neighborhood.

Yes, a city's skyline is important. That is why there are websites like www.skyscrapercity.com and www.skyscraperpage.com and so many, many threads right here on city-data on skylines and skyscrapers. It's one of the things cities like New York, Chicago, Seattle, San Fransciso, and Miami take great pride in - these structures of the manifestation of civic pride and civic vitality. Skyscrapers are like jewel's in a city's crown ... or "trophies" if you will. Are you suggesting the architecture of a city is irrelevant? But, perhaps you make a point: skylines alone do not necessarily attract international tourism or population growth.
Well....

a) Boston does have a fairly large/impressive skyline. Not as big as Chicago, but it exists.

b) I'd argue that a place can be "urban" and "impressive" without being "vast" and "big".

c) Continuing on that last point. Do people who don't know Boston well actually think that it's so large? It's not like Boston is so small either...If people are unimpressed by it's size, they must have imagined that it's huge.
 
Old 03-02-2014, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Cleveland and Columbus OH
11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Reputation: 10385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Okay, you have a right to your opinion. I just wanted to express mine.
I never claimed you didn't have the right to an opinion. I'm just responding.
 
Old 03-02-2014, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Cleveland and Columbus OH
11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Reputation: 10385
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Well....

a) Boston does have a fairly large/impressive skyline. Not as big as Chicago, but it exists.

b) I'd argue that a place can be "urban" and "impressive" without being "vast" and "big".

c) Continuing on that last point. Do people who don't know Boston well actually think that it's so large? It's not like Boston is so small either...If people are unimpressed by it's size, they must have imagined that it's huge.
I really really don't think anyone comes to Boston thinking it's going to be the size of New York. Any google search on any criteria (population, density, land mass, etc.) will dispell that immediately. If you come to Boston expecting to see Bejing, I'd say that's more your bad than Boston's bad.
 
Old 03-02-2014, 07:42 PM
 
Location: North Raleigh x North Sacramento
5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Reputation: 7118
There is a host of Underated Northern cities:

Providence, Rochester, Albany, and definitely DC. DC is the most bashed of the large cities in the Northeast...

Aa a rule, I don't believe there is a Northern city truly Overrated. If any are close, its Philadelphia and Baltimore. Baltimore is a truly unimpressive city! Philly, not so much, I just feel it is probably the least of the 'major' Northern cities....

But all Northern cities pretty much live up to their billing, good and bad. None are really Overrated...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top