Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 04:15 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,906,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
California is way over rated, over populated and over priced.
We're talking CITIES here, not states.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:38 PM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 12 days ago)

5,749 posts, read 5,511,264 times
Sacramento is underrated...

I was born there in '89, and while being raised on the East Coast, I hadn't been since 1992-93. I had a chance to recently return and had a blast...

For the city itself, I kind of always thought of it as a smaller, underperforming city. My comparison base would be similarly-sized cities I've visited (Baltimore, Charlotte, Kansas City, Indianapolis). Mostly Charlotte, as I used to live there. Using cities of similar size, I was way off on my "underperforming" thought...

Sacramento has a very large and vibrant downtown, relative to size. Offers pretty much the same amenities as the other four I've been to. I'd say Charlotte seems a bit busier, but I also think that's because of Charlotte's economy, and the fact Charlotte is farther from larger cities than Sacramento...

Sacramento is extremely competitive with like-sized cities in urban parks, urban streetscape, cultural offerings, transportation infrastructure, and quality of life. It has the misfortune of being in California, a state loaded with large cities and uniquely a nation unto itself; otherwise, certainly it would be more on the national radar...

Sacramento is most definitely underrated. Oakland is habitually underrated as well. Those two cities particularly outperform or perform neck-in-neck, at worst, with other mid-major cities nationwide...

Old 09-01-2016, 06:53 PM

5,557 posts, read 4,903,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
We're talking CITIES here, not states.
Ok then San Francisco

Old 09-01-2016, 07:14 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,079,288 times
Underrated:
Sacramento
Phoenix
San Jose (maybe?)
Tuscon

Old 09-02-2016, 07:18 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,791,701 times
Overrated: San Francisco, Seattle, San Diego, Santa Barbara

Underrated: Los Angeles, Denver, Las Vegas

No Opinion but curious: Phoenix, Portland, Wine Country, Palm Springs

Old 09-02-2016, 07:23 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,791,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Exactly. I think for most households in the country, this is what matters. An affordable home in a safe area with room for a family, with all the amenities of a big city. Phoenix offers this to a T. But part of what makes the homes is affordable is that they are cookie-cutter. Saves costs for the developers.

Nightlife, interesting neighborhoods (that naturally would cost a lot more), are obviously not Phoenix's forte. But I think if you have kids and get to a certain point in your life, these no longer matter. And that is where Phoenix comes out on top.

It's the hot temperatures in the summer that help keep prices down. Proof of that is the near 400-500k people increase we get in the cooler months. Imagine taking out the entire city of Mesa during the summer. If summers were cooler, that 400-500k would stay here year-round.
I've been to Phoenix but haven't explored it - I'm curious about it though. It gets a bad reputation but Sedona (nearby) is gorgeous and they have great golf courses. Unfortunately Scottsdale is Bro town USA and every girl from there will admit it. PHX also gets a reputation of a lot of Midwest people escaping their problems by heading to the desert - culturally something weird that I can't put my finger on but there's some truth to it

Old 09-05-2016, 02:22 PM

155 posts, read 147,412 times
Default Western Cities

Most Overrated:
Santa Fe NM
Portland OR

Least Overrated:
El Paso TX
Boise ID

I was on the border of including now-darling Denver, and others like Phoenix, Albuquerque and Las Vegas, in either category, so I didn't. I also left out a couple places that are not overrated *yet*, hoping the masses that are gentrifying places like Austin find them hip-de-jour and ruin them too.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:40 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,039,092 times
Phoenix is not underrated. It's a city stuck in a valley full of thorn based life forms, has rattlesnakes, scorpions, and other nasties, has the worst heat in the nation, isn't even that green when it rains, and will probably have water issues in the future.

The city itself may not be that bad, but who the heck stuck it in that valley? It's only hospitable cause people are inside 80% of the time.

And whoever thinks Denver is underrated is clearly out of touch.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:43 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,634,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Phoenix is not underrated. It's a city stuck in a valley full of thorn based life forms, has rattlesnakes, scorpions, and other nasties, has the worst heat in the nation, isn't even that green when it rains, and will probably have water issues in the future.

The city itself may not be that bad, but who the heck stuck it in that valley? It's only hospitable cause people are inside 80% of the time.

And whoever thinks Denver is underrated is clearly out of touch.
You're right. It's not underrated, but it's not overrated either! It's rated just fine

Old 09-06-2016, 01:47 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,899,791 times
San Jose is the least overrated city: vibrant downtown/cool hoods, nice weather, good scenery and excellent job market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.