Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:00 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
What about an Armenian restaurant?
If there was it would be in Pattison or Brookshire, Texas just west of Houston. The population of Armenians there is small at around 318 according to this article & it does state there is one restaurant located in an old gin.

http://armeniafest.com/history/texasarms.html

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-02-2014 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 10:31 PM

437 posts, read 628,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Houston's food scene isn't underrated though! I see it praised a lot. No matter how much people might not like Houston overall, I've seen them compliment Houston's culinary scene.
Exactly, if anything its overrated, Houston might be ethnically diversed but it doesn't have them in the concentrations and high numbers to create a competitive environment which in turn produces quality.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:43 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,734,700 times
DENVER
Washington DC
Baltimore

Old 03-03-2014, 07:12 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Okay, I'll do it and throw in the Twin Cities. I don't know how many five star restaurants it has or who the most famous local chef is. Over the past 10-15 years the restaurant scene in the region has really taken off, and it seems that every year there is another "top" restaurant or chef. The local competition seems fierce.

Others that I've heard of that many people may not think twice about include: Cleveland, St. Louis, and Detroit for Midwestern cities. A KC chef won the Midwest region James Beard award last year, so by default it should at least be noted.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:29 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston

Anything & everything can be found there.

Pick a list of cuisines & throw a dart. You'll be debating with your friends really quick over which restaurants to go to.
Houston is ranked as a top 10 food city in the nation. The cities in the top 10 for food don't change much. They just change order amongst themselves.

Best Restaurant Cities - The Best Restaurant Cities in America 2010 - Esquire

Old 03-03-2014, 08:43 AM

465 posts, read 657,686 times
I think DC has always had an underrated soul food scene. We have some really good soul food here especially when you compare it to other cities on the east coast.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:59 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Well that is because DC is surrounded by the south on 2 sides.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:34 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Syracuse, NY for great produce, bread, and Italian food.
Albuquerque, NM for green chili everything.
Providence, RI for pizza and seafood.
Oklahoma City, OK for barbecue.
Baltimore, MD for street food (Pit Beef Sandwiches!).

82 Things That Make Syracuse a Great Food Town (UPDATED 3/2) | Al Dente: A Blog About Eating
Syracuse is a sleeper foodie city and some restaurants have been featured on Man vs. Food and Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Good diversity of restaurants and at good prices. If you guys are in town, I'd suggest Alto Cinco, Eva's European Sweets, Las Delicias, Simone's Soul Food, China Road, the Varsity, Heid's, Kitty Hoynes, Jerk Hut, New Century Vietnamese and pick darn near any Italian spot, among others. Taste of Syracuse is a popular festival too.

Ithaca, Utica, Binghamton and the other bigger Upstate NY metros have a food specialty and /or a range of restaurants too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-03-2014 at 10:45 AM..

Old 03-03-2014, 11:35 AM

182 posts, read 297,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Okay, I'll do it and throw in the Twin Cities. I don't know how many five star restaurants it has or who the most famous local chef is. Over the past 10-15 years the restaurant scene in the region has really taken off, and it seems that every year there is another "top" restaurant or chef. The local competition seems fierce.

Others that I've heard of that many people may not think twice about include: Cleveland, St. Louis, and Detroit for Midwestern cities. A KC chef won the Midwest region James Beard award last year, so by default it should at least be noted.
I agree on the Twin Cities. One thing I'm always amazed by is the numerous amount of ethnic markets and restaurants that are in both Mpls and St. Paul and the variety of them. Another thing most people don't know about is the highly competitive grocery market here. I can't think of another metro area of the top of my head that has three local upscale grocery markets in addition to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Aldi, etc. Add the numerous farmers markets and co-ops in the mix and we're basically pretty spoiled when it comes to food options.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:50 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Well that is because DC is surrounded by the south on 2 sides.
Harlem has an underrated soul food scene as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City