U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 07:55 AM

24 posts, read 27,441 times

Advertisements

Which one of these urban districts do you believe has the most potential to develop into true destination spots for their respective cities?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 07:57 AM

1,537 posts, read 2,026,049 times
Midtown ATL is already there...

Old 03-03-2014, 08:05 AM

19,406 posts, read 29,051,376 times
Would be interesting if anybody has experience of all three. I've only been to two of them and that's Uptown Houston and Uptown Dallas. Uptown Dallas and Uptown Houston are not the same type of built environment. The function is different as well. I would say Uptown Dallas is more urban than Uptown Houston but Uptown Houston is larger. Uptown Dallas is closer to Downtown Dallas than Uptown Houston is to Downtown Houston. IMO, I think this could be between Uptown Dallas and Midtown Atlanta. Houston has a couple more potential different areas that could be the true destination spot in the future. Just the way the city is developed.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:49 PM

6,872 posts, read 13,482,777 times
I think all 3 have major potential as they are both in rapidly growing cities. I currently live in Uptown Houston and have watched it grow tremendously over the past few years. Uptown won't truly reach it's potential until they get rid of the strip centers and surface lots. The Westheimer/Post Oak intersection needs to be more pedestrian friendly. Maybe an underground crosswalk.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:32 PM

7,089 posts, read 7,607,209 times
Midtown Atlanta is the most urban. Sorry, but it's true...It essentially functions as an extension of downtown Atlanta.

The problem with Uptown Houston is that it's auto-centric. It reminds me of Buckhead here and is anchored by a mall. You have a lot of 'tower in the park' highrises and skyscraper, but almost no street level interaction.

Uptown Dallas is somewhat similar to Midtown Atlanta, but I feel it's less urban, but way more upscale.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:08 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,840,556 times
Uptown Houston would be better compared to Buckhead in Atlanta. Dallas doesn't have an area that is similar to Uptown Houston or Buckhead as it's developed differently.

Midtown Atlanta and Uptown Dallas are a better comparison:

Midtown Atlanta has pockets of very urban areas with nice wide sidewalks and streetscapes, but it is not consistent at this point (I think the size of the area hurts this). Other areas of Midtown feel very disconnected and create an island effect for the parts that are actually urban. The area of Atlanta designated as "Midtown" is also much larger and strung out than Uptown Dallas. You will see more surface parking breaking up development in Midtown. There's also a much larger stock of single family homes and suburban style developments mixed in with the urban developments in Midtown. For instance, there are fast food restaurants in Midtown Atlanta with drive thrus.

Uptown Dallas is smaller, more compact and closer to a full build out than Midtown Atlanta and has more of an upscale feel to it (I'm not sure I'd say Midtown Atlanta is more urban than Uptown Dallas as a whole). Uptown Dallas has a more consistent built environment in this district creating a certain identity which works well for bar/restaurant hopping (lots of patio bars and restaurants lining the streets) or shopping. Uptown Dallas has the advantage of having the free historic trolleys as a fun way to get around the neighborhood. Another advantage of Uptown is that it flows directly into downtown and other districts without awkward barriers creating a consistent core throughout central Dallas. Many of the adjacent neighborhoods such as Knox-Henderson, Oak Lawn, Victory Park and Highland Park are connected via the Katy Trail and parks system. Unless you're familiar with the area, you sometimes aren't sure when you've left one neighborhood and entered another. Atlanta is currently building out the Belt Line which is a similar concept to the Katy Trail. Areas of Uptown such as State-Thomas/Lower McKinney and West Village seem to be the type of direction that Midtown Atlanta is trying to grow into.

Overall, I think all three districts are growing and becoming better environments. Each one has it's own spin on development which makes it unique from the others. I don't think any one is better than the other as they serve their own purposes in their cities.

Last edited by R1070; 03-03-2014 at 11:17 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 11:25 PM

14,823 posts, read 21,583,646 times
Has to be Dallas or Atlanta. Uptown Houston is suburban unfortunately.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:31 PM

995 posts, read 1,168,615 times
midtown ATL> Uptown Dallas > Uptown Houston

Old 03-04-2014, 03:02 AM

7,089 posts, read 7,607,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Uptown Houston would be better compared to Buckhead in Atlanta. Dallas doesn't have an area that is similar to Uptown Houston or Buckhead as it's developed differently.

Midtown Atlanta has pockets of very urban areas with nice wide sidewalks and streetscapes, but it is not consistent at this point (I think the size of the area hurts this). Other areas of Midtown feel very disconnected and create an island effect for the parts that are actually urban. The area of Atlanta designated as "Midtown" is also much larger and strung out than Uptown Dallas. You will see more surface parking breaking up development in Midtown. There's also a much larger stock of single family homes and suburban style developments mixed in with the urban developments in Midtown. For instance, there are fast food restaurants in Midtown Atlanta with drive thrus.

Uptown Dallas is smaller, more compact and closer to a full build out than Midtown Atlanta and has more of an upscale feel to it (I'm not sure I'd say Midtown Atlanta is more urban than Uptown Dallas as a whole). Uptown Dallas has a more consistent built environment in this district creating a certain identity which works well for bar/restaurant hopping (lots of patio bars and restaurants lining the streets) or shopping. Uptown Dallas has the advantage of having the free historic trolleys as a fun way to get around the neighborhood. Another advantage of Uptown is that it flows directly into downtown and other districts without awkward barriers creating a consistent core throughout central Dallas. Many of the adjacent neighborhoods such as Knox-Henderson, Oak Lawn, Victory Park and Highland Park are connected via the Katy Trail and parks system. Unless you're familiar with the area, you sometimes aren't sure when you've left one neighborhood and entered another. Atlanta is currently building out the Belt Line which is a similar concept to the Katy Trail. Areas of Uptown such as State-Thomas/Lower McKinney and West Village seem to be the type of direction that Midtown Atlanta is trying to grow into.

Overall, I think all three districts are growing and becoming better environments. Each one has it's own spin on development which makes it unique from the others. I don't think any one is better than the other as they serve their own purposes in their cities.
You're saying Uptown Dallas is more built up than Midtown Atlanta? What? And Midtown Atlanta is trying to go into the direction of West Village? Uh no. You're funny. West Village is pretty urban, but that's not what Midtown Atlanta will be....at all.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:27 AM

10,610 posts, read 12,334,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post

Uptown Dallas is not urban in comparison to Midtown Atlanta from a potential standpoint. It's really not close actually. Uptown Dallas is suburban in nature with grass setbacks and even front yard driveways for cars in some area's. There is a lack of street level retail also. They're really night and day. Is Uptown Dallas more built out? Yes, but build out into what? Uptown Dallas as a whole wouldn't pass for urban in any of the actual urban cities in America. Midtown Atlanta at build out will pass for urban even if it's just a very long linear strip that's only .5-.8 miles in width that passes for urban. The buildings being built in Midtown Atlanta fit the bill. It's not about height by the way, it's about street level design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City