Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think is better for an IT couple?
St Petersburg FL 7 41.18%
Sacramento CA 10 58.82%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 06:11 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,583 times

Advertisements

Which city would you prefer to live in if you're in IT.. and why?

Me, personally I'm torn.

St. Pete is right next to great beaches, has the Pinellas Trail, and has a laid back vibe but also a large chunk of the city is the hood. Sac has the American river and is within 2 hours of an incredible amount of great attractions like mainly outdoorsy stuff, Sierra Nevada mountains, cute little Western towns, San Francisco, and 4 or 5 hours away from chilly California beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 07:04 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
I voted for St. Petersburg. TBH, you'd probably have better luck with the jobs out in California, especially with higher wages, and Sacramento is cheap. But CA is having hard times with its economy, going through a bad drought, and I know a lot of people really do not enjoy living in Sacramento.

Florida has its problems too. But it sounds like you are kind of looking forward to the subtropical beach image it has down in St. Pete (which has some of the USA's best beaches, tbh).

I mean, how could you resist this?:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...-dYZnCSQr0e_mx

Personally, I prefer Florida weather to NorCal's. And the NorCal beaches are unusable. Most of the time at the beach, the weather is cool and overcast, made even cooler by the sea breeze. And the water, while beautiful along the scenic coastline, is cold all year. In St. Pete Beach, you can use the ocean from about April-November.

Last edited by JMT; 07-25-2014 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:08 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,583 times
I should also mention that I am mesmerized by how clear Lake Tahoe is but I realize it's only swimable for maybe 2 months a year. I think I'm getting tired of such muggy, sweaty weather but those Florida beaches can't be beat for the price.

What about general quality of life?

Old 07-25-2014, 07:37 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
It really depends on what you want. Sacramento is close to a lot of great outdoors places, like mountains, deserts, beaches...also not too far from the beautiful Wine Country and the Bay Area. If you like big city things as well as going hiking, skiing in winter, that type of thing, Sacramento probably wins. Plus, if you want more swimmable beaches, head down to SoCal:
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...jMhZ-UJ9kF6ukg
You can see the scenery there and hit up the big cities of LA and San Diego. The beaches there reach the low 70sF on average towards the beginning of September, but right now the ocean off of San Diego is at 75F. Anyways, people really exaggerate how cold the water off SoCal is. It won't be Florida or Hawaii but you can certainly swim in it from July-October comfortably without a wet suit. If that doesn't suit your needs, a quick trip to Cabo San Lucas in Mexico will for warmer, clearer waters and a tropical desert environment/weather.
//www.city-data.com/forum/data:...6SzklNmdH/2Q==
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...kHLRFAj2-HdOSQ

Thing about Cabo is, you'll have to go somewhere like Chileno Beach for swimming, because a lot of the beaches there have really big waves. Chileno Beach is a calmer beach you can use for snorkeling or swimming.

And then, you got Hawaii, which has better beaches than just about anywhere. And that's a 5 and a half hour flight from California.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...k0_Bf3lWCLDp_Q

As for Florida, I know you say you are tired of the muggy weather. But believe me, Sacramento in summer is very hot-100F days and hotter are quite common (that said, nights cool down, but it can get pretty chilly, especially in winter). Yes it's a dry heat, but it feels miserable anyways, and as I said, the drought in California is terrible. They are starting to charge fees for overusing water. Florida doesn't have that problem. St. Pete and Sarasota if often praised by the people living there for the beaches and slow lifestyle. The weather there is hot and rainy in summer and winter does have a few days that get pretty cold, but overall you're looking at nice warm weather most of the year.

Last edited by JMT; 07-25-2014 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:40 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Which city would you prefer to live in if you're in IT.. and why?

Me, personally I'm torn.

St. Pete is right next to great beaches, has the Pinellas Trail, and has a laid back vibe but also a large chunk of the city is the hood. Sac has the American river and is within 2 hours of an incredible amount of great attractions like mainly outdoorsy stuff, Sierra Nevada mountains, cute little Western towns, San Francisco, and 4 or 5 hours away from chilly California beaches.
Little clarification: Sacramento is 2 hours away from ocean beaches. The closest beaches are Marin County Beaches and San Mateo County beaches, and the city beaches in SF. I surf these beaches expect for the SF beaches. As a surfer I prefer the California waves. When you wear a wetsuit the colder water doesn't bother you. The mountains and coves off the coast of Cali are more spectacular to me as well. Also, the NorCal beaches are rarely crowded.

I love Florida beaches too, of course, who doesn't.

As much as I love Florida beaches I would tire of the humid summers and the lack variety.

I'm a skier too and the Sacramento Metro area is 1-2 hours by car from world class skiing at Lake Tahoe.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:16 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
St Pete has a nice downtown, old northeast is very nice too but like you said some adjacent areas may not be desirable for some people. The further west you go towards the gulf, the better the scenery/neighborhoods. St Pete is just a small area of Pinellas cty(there's plenty of nice areas around the intracoastal; not talking about the beaches, those may be out of reach for many people).

Can't talk about Sacramento, never been there(I'd personally choose St Pete because I'm into water-sports). Even though there's very little surfing here (the waves are not huge), there's probably more to do than CA due to the water being accessible for a longer period of the year. You probably need a 7mm wetsuit in much of Northern CA to do anything and great whites are not uncommon. CA has mountains, FL has countless bayou's, estuaries and it's green and luscious throughout...

Last edited by Trigger-f; 07-28-2014 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City