Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 12:20 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,900,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LA is in the same tier as the 'big 6' and actually more vibrant and dense over a larger area than all except NYC--Please stop kidding yourselves.
We're talking about urban cores and so LA's core, while improving, is not among the top 6 mentioned. I was in DTLA this December and it is noticeably less vibrant than the top 6, and arguably less vibrant than Seattle even. Catch Portland on a weekend during the Saturday/Sunday market, and even Portland trumps DTLA in terms of vibrancy (and all the qualities--some subjective--which we use to define vibrancy such as crowds of pedestrians, the "feeling" of safety and cleanliness, the diversity of shops and amenities along continuous city blocks).

The issue with DTLA is that it is boxed in by 3 freeways to the north/west/south and the LA River (if you want to call that concrete monster that) to the east. This gives DTLA a size of roughly 5 square miles. However, once you go east of Los Angeles St (which is in and of itself rather ugly in many blocks) DTLA becomes very drab. Furthermore, half of DTLA is consumed by light-industrial/warehouse use. So while some blocks/streets in DTLA are vibrant, in general it is an arguably spotty urban core. It is improving and we all know DTLA has massive potential, but seeing as how industry takes up the eastern half of downtown, and then Skid Row's negative effects creep in at around Los Angeles St, there are still some tough problems to combat. I just feel as though the "Top 6" don't feel so limited in terms of continual vibrancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 12:29 PM

36,693 posts, read 67,717,245 times
Sorry but Downtown LA thru Koreatown, Hollywood, Mid Wilshire and to the end of the Westside makes Seattle look sleepy. I mean really.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:43 PM

338 posts, read 448,149 times
Pittsburgh's core is pretty Vibrant

Old 04-02-2014, 01:44 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,936,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty5011 View Post
Pittsburgh's core is pretty Vibrant
While I think our core is rapidly becoming vibrant its definitely not more so than others mentioned thus far. If north shore/south side flats/ strip/ and uptown included maybe but still isn't as vibrant as say Miami.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:06 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,533,347 times
Atlanta
Miami
Minneapolis
Columbus

Old 04-02-2014, 03:29 PM

14,256 posts, read 27,010,883 times
When I saw all the Miami answers, I was quite confused. I was thinkin, "Downtown Miami isn't that vibrant" but then I re-read the OP's question, and the OP said "AND the adjoining neighborhoods of their downtown's" in that case, Miami does qualify. Def Miami.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:31 PM

437 posts, read 631,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sorry but Downtown LA thru Koreatown, Hollywood, Mid Wilshire and to the end of the Westside makes Seattle look sleepy. I mean really.
Don't bother with him, he's a disgruntled ex Riverside resident, that's why when he arrived in Seattle he thought he was in a bustling city lol.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:13 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,649,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
We're talking about urban cores and so LA's core, while improving, is not among the top 6 mentioned. I was in DTLA this December and it is noticeably less vibrant than the top 6, and arguably less vibrant than Seattle even. Catch Portland on a weekend during the Saturday/Sunday market, and even Portland trumps DTLA in terms of vibrancy (and all the qualities--some subjective--which we use to define vibrancy such as crowds of pedestrians, the "feeling" of safety and cleanliness, the diversity of shops and amenities along continuous city blocks).

The issue with DTLA is that it is boxed in by 3 freeways to the north/west/south and the LA River (if you want to call that concrete monster that) to the east. This gives DTLA a size of roughly 5 square miles. However, once you go east of Los Angeles St (which is in and of itself rather ugly in many blocks) DTLA becomes very drab. Furthermore, half of DTLA is consumed by light-industrial/warehouse use. So while some blocks/streets in DTLA are vibrant, in general it is an arguably spotty urban core. It is improving and we all know DTLA has massive potential, but seeing as how industry takes up the eastern half of downtown, and then Skid Row's negative effects creep in at around Los Angeles St, there are still some tough problems to combat. I just feel as though the "Top 6" don't feel so limited in terms of continual vibrancy.
You didn't go far east enough. That "drab" area is Skid Row, and after you pass through it you get to the Arts District which is one of Downtown LA's fastest changing neighborhoods. It already has ton of lofts (mostly converted factories), a vibrant and growing retail area around Traction Avenue (now with one of the best barcades in the country), and Los Angeles' best collection of murals and street art. Lots of projects currently under construction, like these:

One Santa Fe (Horizontal Skyscraper)

Megatoys Project

Not to mention the gorgeous 6th Street Viaduct replacement that will break ground later this year.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:02 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,128,916 times
For too many subjective reasons to list, DT Seattle to me is clearly #7. In fact, I think to many it could outstrip Philly as the #6. Seattle, for all intents and purposes, is viewed by many through the same lens that people view SF, Chicago, etc etc. DTLA is viewed as a larger, better, more up and coming DT Atlanta, DT Houston, DT Miami, etc etc.

Once you get past Seattle, then it becomes a matter of subjectivity. If I view cities the way I view Seattle and the other 6, then I'd say Portland, Denver, San Diego, and Minneapolis are next.

If we want to get down to it, Charleston and New Orleans have two of the most vibrant downtowns anywhere, and are much smaller cities.

It's simply too hard to rank past the top 6, except that I would say there is a clear top 7, including Seattle, and then everybody else, however that shakes out for you.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:17 PM

36,693 posts, read 67,717,245 times
If we are talking just downtowns, then I would put Seattle above Philadelphia and Washington DC as well as far as overall amenities as Seattle really has clearly better shopping in it's downtown than the other2.

But if its the 'urban core', then we really arent talking downtowns but however far vibrancy and density spread out in as much of an unbroken cluster as possible, right?

In that case, Los Angeles matches and exceeds everywhere not named New York.

That's all I'm saying. Let's give credit where it's due.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City