Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 10:55 AM

13,744 posts, read 15,827,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Because like I said, I lived there. For longer than I've lived in LA, actually. And like I said, I've always found the supposedly hot restaurants in DC serve food that is wholly unremarkable, and overpriced. We go back every year during the holidays to visit my wife's family and I still have yet to be impressed. One of my DC buddies took us to some new place on 14th called Barcelona that was supposed to be decent and it was completely meh. If you're from DC and you haven't lived in other places I don't expect you to get it, but trust me- the eating gets much better in other places- LA, SF...I've even had some amazing and adventurous dishes in Atlanta.

I won't dispute that there are decent ethnic eats in the burbs...Annandale for Korean, Seven Corners for Vietnamese, and some great Indian in Maryland (Woodlands in Langley Park has South Indian food to die for). But these places are not in DC proper, and visiting them always feels like an excursion and usually involves hopping in a car.

Sounds like you need to try some other restaurants. Actual popular ones. Barcelona? I guess so......

Osteria Morini | Best restaurant new york | Chef Michael White | Soho restaurant
Home » Le Diplomate : Washington DC
Home | G by Mike Isabella
Home | Kapnos
The Red Hen ★ Historic Bloomingdale ★ Washington, D.C.
Daikaya
Roses Luxury

If you only like Ethnic food, then I agree the best places that are more the hole in the whole authentic kind are in the suburbs. A lot of people don't trust food from places that look like that so those don't really exist in the city. If they are in the city, they will be nice which comes with a price.

Have you tried this Indian restaurant before?
http://www.indique.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Because like I said, I lived there. For longer than I've lived in LA, actually. And like I said, I've always found the supposedly hot restaurants in DC serve food that is wholly unremarkable, and overpriced. We go back every year during the holidays to visit my wife's family and I still have yet to be impressed. One of my DC buddies took us to some new place on 14th called Barcelona that was supposed to be decent and it was completely meh. If you're from DC and you haven't lived in other places I don't expect you to get it, but trust me- the eating gets much better in other places- LA, SF...I've even had some amazing and adventurous dishes in Atlanta.

I won't dispute that there are decent ethnic eats in the burbs...Annandale for Korean, Seven Corners for Vietnamese, and some great Indian in Maryland (Woodlands in Langley Park has South Indian food to die for). But these places are not in DC proper, and visiting them always feels like an excursion and usually involves hopping in a car.
Rasika was voted the best Indian Restaurant in the nation and it's in D.C.

Rasika

Old 04-04-2014, 11:07 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,648,107 times
I will give a couple of those a try next time I'm in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Have you tried this Indian restaurant before?
Indique
I have. Indique Heights too. I was dating an indian girl at the time so I've basically tried them all. Indique is solid traditional north indian. A little pricey to eat there all the time, but its good for special occasions.

This is my favorite indian place out here:

BadmaashLA | An Indian-Gastropub in Downtown LA

Indian street food gastropub. So. freaking. good. 2 Indian-Canadian brothers from Toronto came down to start the restaurant. They have a Chicken Tikka Poutine dish that is ridiculous.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:10 AM

32,181 posts, read 34,858,798 times
Quote:
I will give a couple of those a try next time I'm in town.
Red Hen is not good. Way small portions and terribly overpriced. It's too fancy for its neighborhood.

Le Diplomate is okay. They get an "A" for decor.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:17 AM

22,378 posts, read 39,025,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta has a lot more residents than I thought living close to the core if it's really 141k within 1 mile.
yes - is a pretty big footprint though - larger than most listed so a larger catchment area

Think the CBD (DT/MT) combined is about 6-7 sq miles and with that comes more area in the 1 mile extension relative to many others listed

DC was the only one sort of comparable in size (maybe NYC as well)

Old 04-04-2014, 11:20 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,648,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Red Hen is not good. Way small portions and terribly overpriced. It's too fancy for its neighborhood.

That was my big takeaway when I moved out here: that delicious food doesn't need to be expensive.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
That was my big takeaway when I moved out here: that delicious food doesn't need to be expensive.

The big issue is, do you care what the restaurant looks like? I think that may be a major difference between D.C. and L.A. People don't want to eat in places without nice decor. It's the populace I guess. There are some pretty good food places in the black community which doesn't really care about that stuff. It's a socio-economic issue. The same is true in all the low income ethnic communities in the region. There aren't many of them in the city other than black. History matters in this subject guys.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Prices match real estate prices in D.C. Blame the height limits. The city is super inflated.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:01 PM

32,181 posts, read 34,858,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Prices match real estate prices in D.C. Blame the height limits. The city is super inflated.
It wasn't the price per se that bothered me. It was what we got in exchange for the price we paid.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:03 PM

7,102 posts, read 6,011,973 times
Austin by far... Don't know the exact definition of "Vibrant", but in my eyes, vibrant = Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City