Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 05:12 AM

3 posts, read 19,517 times

Advertisements

I've lived on the east coast all of my life, I'm a single female, to be entering my mid-20s soon and I'm looking for a good place to move. I work in the hospitality industry (serving & beverage) so I would prefer a place with a promising restaurant / bar / nightlife feel.

After stalking this forum for a few months it seems that many are more leaned towards areas of Arizona such as Phoenix and Tucson, rather than Las Vegas never mind Nevada state in general. It also seems that most of these people are putting schools and family feel into consideration as well. With my age, I'm not too worried about which cities and / or state has the best schools.

I'm realistic when it comes to crime and understand that not every place is perfect in every way. I'd just like some opinions on where I as an individual would probably fit best. It seems that rent is equivalent in both areas. I enjoy heat and currently live in Florida so that isn't a factor for me (actually, it's much preferred!)

Also, which places have a strong art community? I enjoy the arts very much and feel like that'd be a major factor. Thank you so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 08:20 PM

975 posts, read 1,394,556 times
I think Phoenix (either downtown or Tempe or Scottsdale) seems like it'd be the best fit for you. The hospitality industry in Arizona is strongest there and there are many, many opportunities for those in the hospitality industry (restaurants, bars, hotels, resorts galore). Do a google search on Phoenix, one on Scottsdale, and one on Tempe and see if any or all seem aligned with what you are looking for.

Last edited by Ztonyg; 04-03-2014 at 08:50 PM..

Old 04-04-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
I think Phoenix (either downtown or Tempe or Scottsdale) seems like it'd be the best fit for you. The hospitality industry in Arizona is strongest there and there are many, many opportunities for those in the hospitality industry (restaurants, bars, hotels, resorts galore). Do a google search on Phoenix, one on Scottsdale, and one on Tempe and see if any or all seem aligned with what you are looking for.
Thank you! I appreciate it. I will definitely check into that

Old 04-04-2014, 09:27 PM

367 posts, read 692,852 times
I think Vegas is more fun and it is easier to get around.You do have to get these work cards in Vegas......Sheriffs ,Health and Alcohol.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:18 AM
BMI

7,456 posts, read 7,207,029 times
Personally, I like Tucson best.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:06 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,635,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysfan1020 View Post
I've lived on the east coast all of my life, I'm a single female, to be entering my mid-20s soon and I'm looking for a good place to move. I work in the hospitality industry (serving & beverage) so I would prefer a place with a promising restaurant / bar / nightlife feel.

After stalking this forum for a few months it seems that many are more leaned towards areas of Arizona such as Phoenix and Tucson, rather than Las Vegas never mind Nevada state in general. It also seems that most of these people are putting schools and family feel into consideration as well. With my age, I'm not too worried about which cities and / or state has the best schools.

I'm realistic when it comes to crime and understand that not every place is perfect in every way. I'd just like some opinions on where I as an individual would probably fit best. It seems that rent is equivalent in both areas. I enjoy heat and currently live in Florida so that isn't a factor for me (actually, it's much preferred!)

Also, which places have a strong art community? I enjoy the arts very much and feel like that'd be a major factor. Thank you so much!
The hospitality industry is stronger in Vegas than either Phoenix for obvious reasons, of course, although the latter ain't too shabby.

However, if you were to decide, say, 10 years or so from now that you're sick of working in the hospitality industry or you're 35-40 years old and "less hireable" due to being older-looking and possibly less attractive, Phoenix is going to offer many more fallback options across various industries.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:49 AM

975 posts, read 1,394,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Personally, I like Tucson best.
I love Tucson. I am never giving up my "520" area code on my phone. However, Tucson is not really a happening place for a 20-something female in the hospitality industry. I lived there for 6 years (ages 18-24) and it was a good place, but a lot of that was due to my affiliation with the University of Arizona as a student and student employee. Once I graduated and got a job, the 2 years I wasn't a student there highlighted some of the "flaws" in Tucson.

I do plan to retire to Tucson, and it's a great college town and home to the greatest university in the state, but it doesn't offer much for someone not affiliated with the university unless they are a retiree.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:07 PM

Again, thanks to everyone who took their time to answer. It seems like Vegas would be more 'happening' but like 8to32characters (nice name) said, I'm also keeping in mind the fact that I won't be in my 20's forever! Therefore while Vegas would be great for a while, I have a feeling, I'd probably be better off finding something (and being able to stay long-term) in a metropolitan area of AZ.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:57 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,635,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysfan1020 View Post
Again, thanks to everyone who took their time to answer. It seems like Vegas would be more 'happening' but like 8to32characters (nice name) said, I'm also keeping in mind the fact that I won't be in my 20's forever! Therefore while Vegas would be great for a while, I have a feeling, I'd probably be better off finding something (and being able to stay long-term) in a metropolitan area of AZ.
Nail. Hammer. Bam.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:55 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,672,214 times
OP based off your need for nightlife I would suggest Nevada, Las Vegas has some great nightlife and if that's what you desire then Las Vegas it shall be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
View detailed profiles of: