Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My preference aligns with?
Chicago's Italian Beef 37 43.02%
San Francisco's Mission Burrito 49 56.98%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:49 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,977,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
When are we getting the Italian Beef versus Mission Burrito topic?
Right now.

Compare and contrast the two foods, state which you like more, share experiences, share the exact place you like it best, state which one has more influence on it's city's culinary scene, state whether you'd recommend it to others.

I suppose a bonus criteria could be to state any additional ways you'd rather eat them differently than you have (ways to improve, different ingredients, such and such).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 08:07 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,950,718 times
As a Chicagoan - I like the mission burrito style more

Old 04-12-2014, 08:38 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,712,423 times
Mission Burrito's. Chipotle and Qdoba helped capitalize on it, and I love those places!

Old 04-12-2014, 08:45 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,112,822 times
In what might be just my own ignorance, until googling I didn't even know Chicago Italian Beef was a thing. So I voted Mission Burrito because they are delightful. But to be fair, if I wasn't from SF and never visited this forum, I most likely wouldn't know that the burritos we eat were called Mission style burritos or whatever and that they were popularized by SF.

Also I can't stand Chipotle. Go to a real place is what I think when I hear it mentioned but then I remember that not everyone likes / dislikes the same things as me because we are all beautifully unique snowflakes.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
share the exact place you like it best
Oh um I like the popular places in the Mission but I also love the local chain Gordo's.

Quote:
state which one has more influence on it's city's culinary scene
In re Mission Burrito's influence: Um I dunno, probably not much but I'm not the most qualified person.

Quote:
state whether you'd recommend it to others.
F YEA!

Last edited by RadicalAtheist; 04-12-2014 at 08:56 PM..

Old 04-12-2014, 10:03 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,682,521 times
I'd take a burrito over Italian Beef just not a Mission Style burrito, don't care for all those fillers like rice and beans.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:05 PM

37,185 posts, read 39,463,148 times
Quote:
Right now.

Compare and contrast the two foods, state which you like more, share experiences, share the exact place you like it best, state which one has more influence on it's city's culinary scene, state whether you'd recommend it to others.

I suppose a bonus criteria could be to state any additional ways you'd rather eat them differently than you have (ways to improve, different ingredients, such and such).
Al's #1 Italian Beef, hot and wet. Amazing sandwich. A great mess and I would recommend it to anyone. I loved French Dip sandwiches in LA, but Italian Beef is the winner for dipped sandwiches. I can't tell what if any influence it's had though. I think both the deep dish pizza and the chicago-style hot dog are far more well-known than the Italian Beef (though wouldn't say that's deserved). I'd be curious, though, to try it with a crustier bread (yes, it'll get soggy, so what?). I was thinking maybe smaller individual servings and maybe try a good crusty, airy Vietnamese baguette.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:36 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,288,828 times
The Mission-style burrito, which can be found all over the Bay Area (in fact I think some places in Redwood City and Mountain View trounce anywhere in SF proper), is a thing of absolute beauty if done right and done well. Very few better foods exist in the world

Old 04-13-2014, 08:29 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,950,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
The Mission-style burrito, which can be found all over the Bay Area (in fact I think some places in Redwood City and Mountain View trounce anywhere in SF proper), is a thing of absolute beauty if done right and done well. Very few better foods exist in the world
LOL, let's not go that far - even though I love the Mission Style burrito. There's a lot of amazing food out there that even most of the US, even in most cities, hasn't been exposed to yet

Old 04-13-2014, 09:39 AM

164 posts, read 257,138 times
Al's Beef any day!

Old 04-13-2014, 11:39 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,139,905 times
I don't really like Chipotle, but I do appreciate their fast-food take on fresh ingredients. Even in SF, they are very popular. There's another local fast-food chain called Verde that does a better job on burritos and fresh ingredients than Chipotle, though.

Places like El Farolito in the Mission, and even Tlaloc in the Financial District have good, cheap and authentic Mission-style burritos. I like well-seasoned carnitas, carne asada or maybe prawns. I prefer brown rice and black beans. Avocado should not be optional on any burrito.

The difference between really good burritos and Chipotle is mostly in the ingredients.

Chipotle could approach true Mission quality with more adventurous seasoning in their carnitas, better salsa, and proper grilling of their tortillas.

As far as influence nationwide--it's the burrito by a wide margin. About 15 years ago, I remember a small burrito chain in Houston called "Mission Burritos". Freebirds is another regional chain that does a pretty good job. There are many others. The Mission-style burrito is so ubiquitous now, that to most it is simply called a "burrito". Few people outside of Chicago have heard of Chicago Italian Beef.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City