Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:50 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
They do, but there are certainly better in the city. Here's a break down of the major Chicago universities' rankings for undergrad, business, and law (I didn't include medical because there's not one ranking):

National University Ranking (undergrad):
#5 - University of Chicago
#12 - Northwestern University* (undergrad campus is in Evanston and not Chicago)
#101 - Loyola University Chicago
#109 - Illinois Institute of Technology
#121 - DePaul University
#128 - University of Illinois--Chicago

National Business School Ranking:
#4 - University of Chicago (Booth)
#6 - Northwestern University (Kellogg)
#85 - DePaul University (Kellstadt)
#92 - University of Illinois--Chicago (Liautaud)
Unranked - Loyola University Chicago (Quinlan)
Unranked - Illinois Institute of Technology (Stuart)

National Law School Ranking:
#4 - University of Chicago Law School
#12 - Northwestern University School of Law
#68 - Loyola University Chicago School of Law
#72 - Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago-Kent)
#121 - DePaul University College of Law
No Law School - University of Illinois--Chicago

UChicago
University of Chicago | Best College | US News
Northwestern
Northwestern University | Best College | US News
Loyola
Loyola University Chicago | Best College | US News
IIT
Illinois Institute of Technology | Best College | US News
DePaul
DePaul University | Best College | US News
UIC
University of Illinois--Chicago | Best College | US News

Maybe they go by the number of graduates who stay? Otherwise, I have no idea, but it's clearly not decided by rank.

As for the neighborhoods, I'm with you. Wicker is great, and there are certainly a lot of Millenials who live out there, but Lakeview is less expensive, has more bars (Wrigleyville and Boystown), and it's far more convenient to the lakefront, which the article made a point of mentioning in Chicago's favor. It's not a bad choice or anything, but it just wouldn't have been my first one.

You forgot Northeastern Illinois University. My alma mater and the best most underrated school in the world!

I <3 NEIU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 11:12 AM

5 posts, read 7,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Yeah there's just no way that that's true. You can pay $3,000/mo for a dump of a 600 sq/ft studio in NYC. I have a hard time Austin comes anywhere near that.

My 3BR apartment in NYC costs $2,700. I think your numbers may be a tad off o.O

Unless of course you believe everyone should get a studio overlooking central park, which would make your numbers more accurate.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:37 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyfan321 View Post

Unless of course you believe everyone should get a studio overlooking central park, which would make your numbers more accurate.
Where though? I'm curious. Rent controlled or in Queens BKLYN? I don't believe a 3 BR for 2,700 is even feasabile in Hoboken these days.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:47 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Well for what it's worth...

Massachusetts Millennials Are Boozy and Caffinated - Personal finance - Boston.com

Old 08-04-2014, 01:36 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyfan321 View Post

I've already made a complaint to one of the MODs about the constant wrong information freshlakes provides on these forums.

Usually he provides wrong information about LA to boost it, and also provides wrong information about NJ, and NYC to attack it.

It's insane how literally every post freshlakes makes is wrong according to legit statistical data and census reports.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I've already made a complaint to one of the MODs about the constant wrong information freshlakes provides on these forums.

Usually he provides wrong information about LA to boost it, and also provides wrong information about NJ, and NYC to attack it.

It's insane how literally every post freshlakes makes is wrong according to legit statistical data and census reports.
Oh yeah? Prove me wrong, ya douche. I was asking about where in the city he was living.

How's that burning hot August aroma of garbage smell treating ya on those Brooklyn streets?

Old 08-04-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Oh yeah? Prove me wrong, ya douche. I was asking about where in the city he was living.

How's that burning hot August aroma of garbage smell treating ya on those Brooklyn streets?
Brooklyn Rental Market Report | MNS is Real Impact Real Estate

Average rent in downtown Brooklyn alone doesn't match the imaginary number you just made up. I know exactly what you asked him and you also asked if it was rent controlled lol.

Let's also list the number of things you said that were incorrect lol.

Long Island being blue collar and La being white collar. Lmao.

NYC transit needing to catch up to DC and Chicago transit. Lmao.

LA being the center of job growth in the nation, and when proved wrong by stats you threw it away as BS. Lol.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:26 PM

And I'm sure you will create more wrong information just to feel good about yourself.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Brooklyn Rental Market Report | MNS is Real Impact Real Estate

Average rent in downtown Brooklyn alone doesn't match the imaginary number you just made up. I know exactly what you asked him and you also asked if it was rent controlled lol.

Let's also list the number of things you said that were incorrect lol.

Long Island being blue collar and La being white collar. Lmao.

NYC transit needing to catch up to DC and Chicago transit. Lmao.

LA being the center of job growth in the nation, and when proved wrong by stats you threw it away as BS. Lol.
I simply asked him WHERE HE LIVED -- why is it always some dumb confrontation with you?

To clarify:

--Yes LI is blue collar. LA is both blue and white but you definitely took my comment out of context.

--NYC's transit system is a dirty, crowded, and expensive experience. Track closures and constant construction at all times is a headache (especially on weekends). No way you can appologize for that. My point was Chicago and DC systems are much cleaner and more pleasurable to ride (throw in SF and LA for that matter).

--LA is not a center of job growth at all -- I never said that either. However there is a tech scene on the west side and if you can hack it, you will do well.

--You took ALL MY COMMENTS OUT OF CONTEXT. Lmao, jwoww..

Old 08-04-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I simply asked him WHERE HE LIVED -- why is it always some dumb confrontation with you?

To clarify:

--Yes LI is blue collar. LA is both blue and white but you definitely took my comment out of context.

--NYC's transit system is a dirty, crowded, and expensive experience. Track closures and constant construction at all times is a headache (especially on weekends). No way you can appologize for that. My point was Chicago and DC systems are much cleaner and more pleasurable to ride (throw in SF and LA for that matter).

--LA is not a center of job growth at all -- I never said that either. However there is a tech scene on the west side and if you can hack it, you will do well.

--You took ALL MY COMMENTS OUT OF CONTEXT. Lmao, jwoww..
No i didn't because they were all proved wrong by legit stats which is why you feel some sort of way and had to re explain yourself which again is wrong. Haha

Btw NYC has the most successful subway system in the nation. But I'll save that for another topic which of course you will most likely lose because STATS and reports are BS when they don't favor LA. Lmao @ transit and LA in the same sentence.

Can you see bus coming with all that smog in front of you?

You have never provided one legit correct source of either LA or NYC. You seem miserable lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City